Poll/Game Ideas Thread

valacirca

Trooper
Since there has been a minor controversy lately about the amount and repetitiveness of some polls/games, maybe this thread could be helpful for those who want to throw out an idea for a poll/game before actually creating it. Then others can contribute, opine and discuss to flesh out the mechanics and details or whatever else.

Another reason I have for starting this is because I wanted to ask if a "Best Iron Maiden Song in the Key of..." would work.

I've noticed that a handful of members have been discussing about some of the band's songs and their respective keys (e.g. - CotD being in Em...NotB being in Dm...etc etc etc). So, if there was a way to group the songs together according to the key they were written in and start a "Best of" poll based on that... maybe it could be interesting.

Sounds like a nice idea, that "key"-poll.

By the Way, I hope my overkill-complaint doesn't make you doubt about every idea you're going to have. To ask permission beforehand is not necessary, I assume. Throwing in ideas is cool of course.  :ok:

What's the point of a poll by key? It's just another random way of grouping the same songs. How many of those do we need?
Come to think of it, when we have a poll with a group of songs chosen by arbitrary criteria, we have a name for it. Silly polls.

Like this and this and this and this and this...

The point is: a good game isn't determined by how you group the songs. It's in the mechanics and rules.

I guess that's the only point: It's another way of grouping the same songs. We don't do it because we need to... we do it because it seems fun, and its success will hinge on how many other members share the opinion that it's a fun and interesting new perspective.

FWIW, grouping the songs by key (if indeed possible) is at least a grouping according to musical similarity.
Heck... people can group songs according to song length for all I care (e.g. - songs under 4 mins... w/in 4 mins... w/in 5 mins... etc etc etc) and I might even find that mildly intriguing...

Key has absolutely nothing to do with musical similarity. It's like comparing color and architecture. If one house is blue and another is green, does that really tell you if they're at all similar in any significant way?

I did say FWIW. So in that case - supposing you're right - then maybe that argument is not worth anything after all. It's all moot though since going by key is still another way of grouping the same songs... and such groupings are the basic ideas for most polls.

How about a poll for what is Maiden's longest song? This could include hits like aces high, phantom of the oppera, revelations, acs high. We could vote for which is longest for us. Oh, my bad, somebody has already done that one, oh well  :innocent:

Back