Overpaid Sportstars?

national acrobat

Ancient Mariner
I remember this being discussed before, so forgive me if I'm re-opening wounds or floggng the proverbial dead horse, etc.

I saw on TV yesterday a story about how much Premiership footballers currently earn. On average, a Premiership footballer earns about £676,000 a year, which is £13,000 a week. They then compared this to an average nurse's wage: about £28,000. The average wage in Britain at the moment is £22,900 a year.

A couple of people from the Players Football Association tried to defend these huge wages by arguing that the nature of the job meant that a player could be forced to retire, so there was little security, and overall footballers have a short career.

Also mentioned were NFL players in the USA, who on average earn something like £960,000 a year. A quick calculation tells me that in one year one of these players will earn the equivalent of what it takes someone else 41 years to earn, basically a whole life's work.

So are the astronomical figures justifed? I've no doubt that football players train very hard, and bring a lot of joy to people, but their wages come mostly out of fans' pockets (yes, this really grinds my gears) who have to pay £40/50 every week to watch a Premiership match.

I knew my journal on Adam Smith would come in handy one day. Just replace "hockey" for any other profesional sport and you get a POSSIBLE reason for high salaries. Plus it will open it up for debate.

Journal 1

The five following are the principal circumstances which, so far as I have been able to observe, make up for a small pecuniary gain in some employments, and counter-balance a great one in others: first, the agreeableness or disagreeableness of the employments themselves; secondly, the easiness and cheapness, or the difficulty and expence of learning them; thirdly, the constancy or inconstancy of employment in them; fourthly, the small or great trust which must be reposed in those who exercise them; and fifthly, the probability or improbability of success in them. (Smith p. 202)

In this journal I will attempt to explain, using Smith’s five observations on the calculation of wages, why is it that professional hockey players get paid the amount of money that they do (the average player in 2003 made $1.79M ). Thus I will go point by point to see if hockey players, even pro athletes of any sport, are entitled to such amounts of money. Smith explains that the pleasantness, ease and cheapness or their opposite, consistency or inconsistency, the trust placed on the employee and the odds of success in the job are what calculate wages.
Everybody enjoys playing sports and most of us engage in them as kids for fun, but some people decide to do them all their lives. Sports are a lot of fun and being successful at them causes great joy. I think it is safe to say that sports are enjoyable, thus it is an agreeable job to engage in. Smith says that a butcher’s job is very dirty and thus undesirable and therefore is paid more than most common trades. This tells me that sports players shouldn’t make so much money since it is so enjoyable and “clean”. However there are other factors to take into consideration. The second factor is how easy/cheap or difficult/expensive a task is to learn. Hockey is a very expensive sport given the equipment involved. Compared to soccer where a player only wears cleats and shin guards for protection, a hockey player wears shin/knee guards, protective shorts, elbow pads, chest protector, gloves, mouth guard and a helmet (goalie equipment is even more expensive as it must offer more protection). Because of this not everybody can engage in this sport. Many families go into debt buying their children skates and sticks, driving them to hockey practices and games into big cities (I’m using Canada as my example) just to see if their kids might make it big one day. Skating on ice is no easy feat either. Most people eventually learn to skate, but few reach the level of skill required to play the game at professional level. A player must be able to skate at top speeds and be able to maneuver the puck, fend of opponents either checking him or pestering him with their sticks and still be able to keep control of the puck and manage a shot or a pass, be able to switch from skating forward to backwards without losing momentum and of course stopping on a dime when necessary. Thus hockey is an expensive and a difficult sport to learn. Add to that the time spent in practice and in the gym. A player must stay fit and the average person only gets exercise when s/he walks from the couch to the refrigerator. The effort put in keeping their bodies healthy is also rewarded.
The third point Smith draws our attention to is the consistency or inconsistency of work. Most careers, given one has a college education, are not begun until one is between 22-25 years of age and continue working until 65-70 years of age. That is around 45 years of constant employment. Some blue-collar jobs can begin even younger. The average age of an NHL rookie is 20 (personal observation done by watching and studying the game for the past 10 years of my life) and most players retire after only a couple of seasons and either go down to minor leagues or quit all together, good players put in 8-10 seasons and great to elite players go for an average of 15, (there are rare cases of players playing for 20 or more years). Thus the job is by far not a consistent one. A pro athlete works for 8 years while a mechanic may work for 40 or more. Thus their pay must make up for all the years they will be out of the workforce.
The issue of trust is important for Smith as he explains that jewelers earn more than any other workman (Smith, p. 207) because they are working with very precious and valuable items. This leads not so much to the discrepancy between an athlete and a non-athlete, but between the athletes themselves. Every team has at least one “star” player around which the team is built around to increase success. These “star” players are usually forwards with the scoring or playmaking touch that are trusted to make the key goals or plays at the right time to ensure the success of their team. The trust placed upon them is much greater than that of the enforcer/instigator player whose job is simply to beat up or annoy the other team, while important his role might actually lead to negative results. This is why elite players can make up to $8M-$10M while a teammate may be getting by with $680,000.
The very last point Smith mentions is the probability of success in the work one is pursuing. He says, “The probability that any particular person shall ever be qualified for the employment to which he is educated, is very different in different occupations. In the greater part of mechanic trades, success is almost certain; but very uncertain in the liberal professions.” (Smith, p. 208) Many people learn how to ice skate, many of them learn to play hockey, the number of children and teenagers that engage in the sport is tremendous, however only few get to the NHL (there were 916 in 2003-2004 ). And once they are there a successful career of at least 10 seasons isn’t always guaranteed. Not being ready for that particular level of play, injuries, economics (payroll) might all play a role in lengthening or shortening a player’s stay in the NHL.
Therefore, I believe, the pay professional hockey players or any athlete deserve the pay that they are awarded according to Smith’s assessments on the calculations of wages. For while hockey is an enjoyable activity it is difficult to learn, expensive to engage in, the work is inconsistent with a season extending six months of the year (if the team makes the playoffs, also worth mentioning hockey has the longest season in pro-sports) and if the player is lucky he’ll do it for at least 10 years. The trust placed by the organizations on their player varies, but those expected to perform at a higher level are rewarded accordingly as success for the team (regardless of what sport) translates to success for the city (jobs are kept or created, revenue and taxes help local economy as well). And finally superstardom in pro sports, in this case Hockey, is very unlikely. Thus the difficulty and expense in learning the sport, the inconsistency, the high trust placed on players and the uncertainty of success translates into high wages for hockey players and pro-athletes in general.

If a sportstar is paid at all, they're over paid. It's obsence they're paid that much when people who actually contribute to society, like nurses, policemen and teachers work much, much harder for much, much less money.

I think any playing sport professionally should be wage capped at 20k/year, no exceptions. They can make any extra money though advertising/sponsers etc.

Lacrosse is a good example of a sport in which the atheletes aren't ridiculously high paid. Games are only played on the weekends and players all have day jobs. They get the travel paid for and a small salary, I think about $15,000-$25,000 Cdn.

If there is going to be a discussion on ludicrously high salaries, two sets of people are always targeted - big cats in large multi-national companies and footballers. Other high earners (actors, musicians, etc.) are generally not targeted. A classic case was the Posh and Becks scenario. Everyone complained about Beckham's earnings but never his wife (who at times was earning more than he was).

I'm going to go a little against the grain here. Basically, the money the club gets is their money and they can spend it how they want. If they want to pay the Rooney's of this world £13k per week, why shouldn’t they. The clubs are generating millions year in year out and the money is coming from us - quite legitimately. We choose to subscribe to Sky Sports, we choose to go to the games, we choose to buy the shirts and merchandise - much the same as we choose to buy the umpteenth Maiden live/best of album/DVD. We accept the monthly £40 to Sky, we accept the £50 admission ticket to a Premiership game, we give them the money, they spend it.

If the fan was to refuse this price ticket and go to see a League 1 game instead (and possibly only pay £10), the clubs will then have to bring their prices down to attract them back. Possibly then will players wages fall. But that won't happen as enough people will go to the Old Trafford's, Anfield's etc. week in week out and pay the money.

[!--quoteo(post=134683:date=Apr 13 2006, 01:06 AM:name=spalec)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(spalec @ Apr 13 2006, 01:06 AM) [snapback]134683[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
It's obsence [/quote]
What's that, obscene nonsense? [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=134695:date=Apr 13 2006, 08:46 AM:name=Albie)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Albie @ Apr 13 2006, 08:46 AM) [snapback]134695[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
If there is going to be a discussion on ludicrously high salaries, two sets of people are always targeted - big cats in large multi-national companies and footballers. Other high earners (actors, musicians, etc.) are generally not targeted. A classic case was the Posh and Becks scenario. Everyone complained about Beckham's earnings but never his wife (who at times was earning more than he was).

I'm going to go a little against the grain here. Basically, the money the club gets is their money and they can spend it how they want. If they want to pay the Rooney's of this world £13k per week, why shouldn’t they. The clubs are generating millions year in year out and the money is coming from us - quite legitimately. We choose to subscribe to Sky Sports, we choose to go to the games, we choose to buy the shirts and merchandise - much the same as we choose to buy the umpteenth Maiden live/best of album/DVD. We accept the monthly £40 to Sky, we accept the £50 admission ticket to a Premiership game, we give them the money, they spend it.

If the fan was to refuse this price ticket and go to see a League 1 game instead (and possibly only pay £10), the clubs will then have to bring their prices down to attract them back. Possibly then will players wages fall. But that won't happen as enough people will go to the Old Trafford's, Anfield's etc. week in week out and pay the money.
[/quote]
Well players like Rooney actually earn a lot more, probably nearer £60,000 a week. And regarding ticket prices, I pay £30 to watch Championship football at Loftus Road, and believe me, the quality of football does not justify that price. Football clubs know they will always sell tickets, so there's no need for them to lower it. I remember Chelsea being the topic of discussion earlier this season for charging up to £50 for kids' tickets to see a mid-week game against lower league opposition. And if there's one club who don't need to charge extortionate prices, it's Chelski.

[!--quoteo(post=134706:date=Apr 13 2006, 12:19 PM:name=national acrobat)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(national acrobat @ Apr 13 2006, 12:19 PM) [snapback]134706[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Well players like Rooney actually earn a lot more, probably nearer £60,000 a week. And regarding ticket prices, I pay £30 to watch Championship football at Loftus Road, and believe me, the quality of football does not justify that price. Football clubs know they will always sell tickets, so there's no need for them to lower it. I remember Chelsea being the topic of discussion earlier this season for charging up to £50 for kids' tickets to see a mid-week game against lower league opposition. And if there's one club who don't need to charge extortionate prices, it's Chelski.
[/quote]
Agreed, but we will pay these prices again and again.

One thing about Chelsea is that they are in a "winning" mode at present and fans will flock to see them - most likely the fans that never bothered with them before - no metter who they play. But that's a different subject.

This is why I hate American baseball....They get paid waaaaaay too much....The NFL has a salary cap which is good , but personally , I think that hockey players should make just as much.

The NHL just had a team salary cap come down, and everyone there took a pay cut. The average NHL salary now is 1.2 million...which is not that much, when you compare to other sports. Still, it's a lot of money. The NHL went through it's super-contract phase, initiated by the record 10.7 million contract Paul Kariya signed with Anaheim back in 95...and there were other huge names with huge deals. Look at New York - Jagr, Messier, Leetch...those guys were making near-to or over $10 million each. Eric Lindros was getting $7 million...Colorado and Detroit were other culprits. Sakic ($9 million), Roy ($12 million), Blake ($8 million), Forsberg ($10 million)...the salary cap was a must.

[!--quoteo(post=134719:date=Apr 13 2006, 09:25 AM:name=LooseCannon)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Apr 13 2006, 09:25 AM) [snapback]134719[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
The NHL just had a team salary cap come down, and everyone there took a pay cut. The average NHL salary now is 1.2 million...which is not that much, when you compare to other sports. Still, it's a lot of money. The NHL went through it's super-contract phase, initiated by the record 10.7 million contract Paul Kariya signed with Anaheim back in 95...and there were other huge names with huge deals. Look at New York - Jagr, Messier, Leetch...those guys were making near-to or over $10 million each. Eric Lindros was getting $7 million...Colorado and Detroit were other culprits. Sakic ($9 million), Roy ($12 million), Blake ($8 million), Forsberg ($10 million)...the salary cap was a must.
[/quote]
Not to mention big market teams like Toronto, New York, Philadelphia Detroit etc generate a larger revenue than a team like Pittsburgh or Florida, thus used to/can spend insane amounts of money to pry away big name free agents.

IMO it seems kind of silly to pay that kind of money to people who play their favourite game, but it is their livelihood.

Toronto a big market? Itis my understanding that any American based team pulls in more revenue (even mediocre clubs) just because of the fact that it is in U.S dollars and not canadian. Not to mention several teams (ok maybe just two) have left canada for the U.S because of that reason.

[!--quoteo(post=134792:date=Apr 13 2006, 07:19 PM:name=Onhell)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Apr 13 2006, 07:19 PM) [snapback]134792[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Toronto a big market? Itis my understanding that any American based team pulls in more revenue (even mediocre clubs) just because of the fact that it is in U.S dollars and not canadian. Not to mention several teams (ok maybe just two) have left canada for the U.S because of that reason.
[/quote]
I'm not even sure anymore, but if I'm not mistaken, at the end of the 2003-04 season, Toronto was one of the only teams that drew a profit. Something like that.

But, yeah the rest of the Canadian teams are generally worse off than the American teams. I think.

I'm just a stupid 15 year old kid though, don't really know much about economics, so my bad if I'm wrong. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

Onhell, you don't understand the Toronto...fervor in Canada.

Let me explain. Somehow this team has built up the myth that they are good. Despite not advancing to the Stanley Cup finals since 1967 - last time they won. They have spent a decade not even making the playoffs. They do not get good draft picks. They hire aging stars to make one last run for the Cup - guys like Nolan, Francis, Leetch, Lindros. Their biggest star was a steal from Quebec. Their second biggest star is a rough-houser.

But they are above and away the most favourite team in Canada. You'll find Toronto fans *everywhere*. There's barely a reason to like the team. They're boring, ageing, and generally pisspoor. Pretty much every other team gets exciting players. Montreal has guys like Kovalev and Ryder. Calgary has Phaneuf, and Iginla. Vancouver has Naslund, the Sedin twins...I mean, damn good hockey players. But they are ignored.

Toronto is the worst Canadian team by far. It makes me sick to see that if you're anywhere but a major hockey city, Toronto dominates.

.......plus I'm a Habs fan.

whether you hate them or not, it still stands true that while (I believe) they have had "good" teams they have never been able to do much with them. Long gone are the days of Anderchuck, Gilmour, Ellet and Potvin.... this year their club is joke, like you said full of aging stars (Leatch? BELFOUR? the fuck?).

Here in Sweden, many of the athletes semi-elite are freed of a few taxes. The government seems to think that it's much more important to help the promising (let's say tennisplayers) to pay their bills. So they give them a bit of extra money every month and frees them of a few taxes. And here's one thing.
Why does it seem more important to help the sportsmen than the musicians?

Both groups are very important. Then politicians justifie it with the statement that the sportsmen have quite short careérs. But how many bands lasts on the top very long? A handfull, so it seems to me that many successfull bands has short careérs too.

I don't know much about athletes in Sweden, but I've read a couple of interviews with Markus Naslund and Peter Forsberg where they talk about coming from small towns, being very community oriented, how much they love their country, hometown and old friends. They go back as often as they can and Forsberg wants to retire there and GIVE BACK TO THE COMMUNITY. I don't know if Musicians do the same thing, the impression I get from them is that they leave Sweden to make big money. But at least here are a couple of examples where profesional athletes care about their community and INVEST in it. That might be why the government exempts them from some taxes, because the more money the atheletes keep, the more they can invest in their own communities or charities or whatever.

Back