Opeth Drummer Martin Lopez quits band

Raven

Ancient Mariner
Quoted from MetalStorm News

After several months away from his drumming duties in Opeth Martin Lopez has permanently decided to leave the group. After being plagued by illness and anxiety attacks Lopez decided he wanted to concentrate fully on his own project, currently unnamed. His replacement will be Martin "Axe" Axenrot who's been filling in for the last 5 tours and who also recorded with the band during the recent BBC sessions.

Mikael Åkerfeldt: "However sad I and the rest of the band feel in light of Lopez's departure I want to thank him for his incredible work with Opeth and immense dedication to the band. We recorded some classic stuff together and he obviously had an enormous impact on our sound. I now feel very excited to hear the material of his own band. In the meantime Opeth fans can rest assured that we'll continue jamming it out with Axe and we all have high expectations about our coming musical ventures"

That makes no sense... he left due to illness, yet is starting his own band? WTF? I hope they get more speciffic in future reports.

Onhell said:
That makes no sense... he left due to illness, yet is starting his own band? WTF? I hope they get more speciffic in future reports.

Well, presumably his own project won't be touring...yet, anyway.  After all, Lopez left Amon Amarth because he felt he wanted to develop a more progressive, rather than aggressive, style of drumming; perhaps he isn't up to touring and playing the kind of long snoozefests* that Opeth often throw out...

*Not that I don't like the band, but seriously, if you're going to shove three songs together to have a 20 minute song with an acoustic interlude in it, at least make the damn thing flow!  It gets really annoying when you think the song's over and it starts up again with a completely irrelevant interlude unrelated to the rest of the song... <_<

Raven said:
*Not that I don't like the band, but seriously, if you're going to shove three songs together to have a 20 minute song with an acoustic interlude in it, at least make the damn thing flow!  It gets really annoying when you think the song's over and it starts up again with a completely irrelevant interlude unrelated to the rest of the song... <_<

That's what their entire discography sounds like to me. Blopeth's music is so boring, incoherent and pretentious that even their fans have to pretend to like it. If the Metal Archives community are anything to go by, their fanbase seems to be really dying down, so I guess they can't keep up the charade of liking this elevator music. Actually, I'm glad Blopeth's music isn't pumped into elevators, otherwise I'd be asleep by the second floor.

OMFG IF J00 DONT LIEK OPETH DONT POST HERE!11!1

I know, I just needed to get that out. And don't try the "ThEyRe 2 INTELEKSHUWALZ 4 j0o iTs DEEP N MEENINGFUL MUZIK WIF THOTFUL LEERIX" argument. There's nothing groundbreaking about conventional melodeath padded out with various amounts of acoustic filler and other useless fluff.

Back