Opening nominations for the GREATEST METAL SONG CUP - Submissions due July 30

Status
Not open for further replies.

LooseCannon

Enterprise-class aircraft carrier
Staff member
I haven't 100% figured out the structure, but I think it will be much different to the Greatest Metal Album Cup, since I don't think we'll exactly do the minnows thing. Most likely, I'll break it into either leagues or nations and get some nominees from within that group to throw into a top 64 or even a top 128.

How to participate

DM me your list of your top 25 metal songs.
I will give a lot of leeway for metal songs. For songs with multiple versions, feel free to specify which ones. Studio recordings only (live performances may be a future Cup). Covers are generally not accepted unless the song has become part of the band's canon (such as Diamonds and Rust with Judas Priest, which got a significant change to be on an album and has been played live). Basically I'm saying B-side covers, don't submit 'em.

No Iron Maiden or Iron Maiden-adjacent songs will be accepted. That includes, but is not limited to: Bruce Dickinson, Blaze Bayley, ASAP, British Lion, Trust, White Spirit, and anything else I can come up with. Guest appearances on other artists' work by Maiden members are also not accepted.

No more than 3 songs per band. We're going to try to cast a net pretty wide here, so please, no more than three songs per band. I'd love to get your opinion on all sorts of things.

All metal subgenres are welcome. As always in the Cups, we try to spread our knowledge and experience.

Since this is songs, not albums, I expect we will become pretty entrenched on opinions early, and that's okay.

Any questions, just reply here. Nominations will be open for quite awhile, and I'm hoping to kick this game off near the back half of summer.

Last edited:
EDIT: This will be only our entries, right, no songs from other various metal lists like GMAC?
I'll be using lists as well to add flavour, and since I haven't 100% decided the format yet, I can't really say *what*. All I can say is that your nominations will matter.

I want to thank the six people who, so far, have provided nominations! We have tons of time to go, at least a couple months, so please, keep sending them in!

I want to thank the six people who, so far, have provided nominations! We have tons of time to go, at least a couple months, so please, keep sending them in!

Hopefully a lot more people submit lists, if I remember correctly there was 20+ lists submitted for the album cup

I will submit too but there’s no hurry. I’ll try to submit metal songs from non English speaking countries as far as possible in order to add some flavor.

Yeah, I'm hopeful to get quite a few lists. Around 10 right now.

There were 35 for the GMAC, I wonder if we can get close to that.

You could, and I'm letting people do what they want. Cast the net as wide or shallow as you care to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back