On the concept of hard work

Kynisk Sokol

Ancient Mariner
After reading this comic (contains extreme graphic violence), it made me wonder why people say we're lazier than ever. Now, I'm not the human race's most willing advocate (or technology's, since I dislike webcams, iPods, mobile phones and so forth), but does the fact that a lot of people are lazy and don't know a lot about the world show how society has become so advanced that we can get away with knowing a lot of err...stuff? We don't have to know how to hunt or which plants are poisonous and we can just use a calculator for our mathemathically related problems (even if the old man in the comic disagrees).

Anyways, I'm just throwing this out for a nice discussion, that's all. Now, discuss, damn you.

Oh, yeah, and the other Crude Dude Comics are well worth looking into. OMG SHAMELESS PROMOTION.

Who says "we" don't need to know that anymore? "we" still do, "I" don't need to know how to hunt or what plants are poisonous, mainly because we've domesticated our food source and others already told us what is poisonous and what isn't. However "we" or rather "they", because "I" could care less, are still making new discoveries in technology, food, our planet that benefit the rest of "us" even if it doesn't look like it does.

Black Dragon said:
We don't have to know how to hunt...

Maybe you don't know how to hunt, but that doesn't mean no one does. I grew up in a part of the US where learning to hunt is a rite of passage. Haven't done it in years, but I do know how. I'm one member of this forum who can proudly say that he has, on several occasions, shot his own dinner.

Black Dragon said:
  since I dislike mobile phones

I thought I was the only one! :eek:  Still, sooner or later I'll get one, and there goes my 'absolute' freedom and the- 'don't call me, I'll call you', stuff.

Oh, the modern world is increasing its grip on me.

My question is, what ever happened to a phone being a phone? I just got a new phone because I switched companies and it actually does too much. I just one a phone that goes "Ring"... grr.

SinisterMinisterX said:
Maybe you don't know how to hunt, but that doesn't mean no one does. I grew up in a part of the US where learning to hunt is a rite of passage. Haven't done it in years, but I do know how. I'm one member of this forum who can proudly say that he has, on several occasions, shot his own dinner.

In my part of Canada we do the same thing. Hunting is part of our culture.  I've had many opprotunities to shoot a deer, but I'm too awed by them when I actually get them in my sights (yeah, I'm a bit of a softie). I've bagged plenty of rabbits, though.

Many stuff has changed since technology, for example, I can´t think of the last time I climbed some stairs, since now we have elevators everywhere. 

I also dislilke A LOT having to use a cellphone, because, as someone else pointed out, it changes the I'll-call-you concept.  Has anyone ever felt that he/she should have been born in another century?  I happens to me a lot.

i feel like i shouldve been born in a different decade but i agree with Onhell with this phone stuff, my dad always said to me "i just want a phone that you make a phone call then hang up" well that got me into the normal phones....still Sony Ericcson's and there  Walkmans come in handy with so  Maiden and Sweet tunes. ;)

Yeah, now mobile phones have cameras, mp3 players, voice recorders, operative systems, internet... you basically don't need to carry an mp3 or camera with a really good mobile now.

In terms of hard work, I believe in the saying "work smart, not hard".  I wish I was smarter so I knew exactly how to put that into practice.  ;)

Back