Not posted here in a while, so...

Ardius

Trooper
I decided recently that there needed to be an artilce about that secret gig, The Entire Population of Hackney.
Thus, I created a wikipedia article. WOOT. I referenced it, checked my facts, linked it to other pages, corrected spelling mistakes, hunted down a  picture of the bootleg art, tried to work out who the hell was playing that night (Im still not entirely sure, people say different things...).....and well, here we are:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Entire ... of_Hackney

Enjoy! If you find anything wrong with it, factually or otherwise, please, edit away or ask me.

That's a good article. I edited it slightly to give it a more serious tone- i.e. I changed all the Adrian's, Dave's, Nicko's and Andy's to Smith, Colwell, Barnett and McBrain. Using the first names just looks a bit too fanboyish in my opinion.

Nice article indeed!

One point of criticism. Isn't this a bit overdone?  -->

beginning:
- one song from this bootleg, "Reach Out" was used as a B'side on their single, Wasted Years, where Smith sang vocals.

end of "Background":
The result of this short break from Iron Maiden was that three of the songs featured in the setlist would be later used on two Iron Maiden singles. "Reach Out" featured on Wasted Years and "Juanita" and "That Girl" featured on Stranger in a Strange Land.

Perhaps its better to remove the first bit, because that sentence in the Background bit explains it well enough (also better for the chronological order of events)?

Firstly, yes, Ive got the bootleg, its awesome.

Secondly, yeah, I agree with the name changes, i wont complain. However, Nicko's friend didnt help write That Girl - its a song from the band FM, which Andy and Dave used to be in. I have no idea where Nicko's firend comes from, but it must be from some funny argument  :bigsmile:
Oh, and speaking of FM and "That Girl"......-
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eTefQcUWJM8

Thirdly, good point, I shall change that shortly. I was in a little rush towards the end, as Id spent almost three hours going through the commentary and numerous other sites finding as much "truth" as I could. The bits that are still controversial (in my eyes) are exactly who was playing that night and how exactly it came about, some people seem to think its Nicko that started and others think its Adrian. Im inclined to trust the Nicko story more, as it makes more sense. (what with him hiring a studio and that).

Hi Ardius, I'm an old Maiden and Related Bands fan, and I saw this old topic. Hope no one has abandoned it!  B)

I saw what you put on Wikipedia and would like to help. I do have some more informations about the Hackney project. So there it goes:

1. EastEnders theme/"Juanita" - 4:32 (Marshall Fury cover)
  2. "See Right Through You" - 3:22 (Urchin cover) <--- This song actually is called "See Me Through". Alright it is an Urchin cover.
  3. "Reach Out" - 3:36 <-- This song was written by David Colwell for The Entire Population of Hackney, especifically.
  4. "Chevrolet" - 3:38 (ZZ Top cover)
  5. "Lady" - 6:55 <-- This is another Urchin cover.
  6. "Silver and Gold" - 6:21 (later used with ASAP) <-- Seems it was written by A. Smith for this Hackney project.
  7. "That Girl" - 5:06 (FM cover) <-- No, FM used it later. It was originally written by Barnett and the guys for this Hackney project.
  8. "Fighting Man" - 5:33 (later appeared on the ASAP single, Silver and Gold) <-- It was written by Colwell for this project as well.
  9. "School Days" - 5:51 (with extended drum solo) (later appeared on the ASAP single, Down the Wire) <-- Written by Colwell for his band 720.
  10. "When She's Gone" - 5:30 (later appeared on the ASAP single, Down the Wire)
  11. "Try" - 4:06 <-- A song written by Kenny Mountain. He composed Rainbow's Gold and sings on this one.
  12. "Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)" - 4:11 (from Iron Maiden's Powerslave) (Steve Harris and Dave Murray enter the stage)
  13. "2 Minutes To Midnight" - 6:11 (from Iron Maiden's Powerslave) (Bruce Dickinson enters the stage)
  14. "Rosalie" - 4:33 (Bob Seger cover)
  15. "Tush" - 4:29 (ZZ Top cover)

Maybe you'll find it anywhere else, but Martin Connoly is not there playing without a reason. The guy played bass in Marshall Fury and Nicko McBrain too!

A small detail: Personally I'd never call a song a cover, if the original song features yourself (and one or two bandmates), and definitively if that song is written by yourself (and/or by one or two bandmates).

In other words: I see a cover as a song by someone else. So instead of "Urchin cover" I'd go for "Urchin track" or "Urchin song".

Just my 2 cents, of course.

@Lira, thanks for that info, I always had the idea that something was wrong with "That Girl" and the other version (the chronology).

Ack, I missed this.

Anyway, yeah, I knew about That Girl being written before FM, but I wasnt sure at the time I wrote that wikipedia page. I know about the ASAP songs being written for EPoH originally.
Also, I knew about Reach Out.

The rest though, I didnt know and thanks for the correction on the name of the Urchin song.

@Forostar, I'd noted the Urchin songs as covers etc because although its the original artist playing it, its not the original band, in other words, its not Urchin playing it. They are not technically covers, but it needed noting that they are originally Urchin songs.

Another bit of trivia: the intro to Silver and Gold on this bootleg is an early version Adrian's part of the later Walking on Glass solo that was played on the Somewhere On Tour.
I'll update the wiki again.

Ardius said:
@Forostar, I'd noted the Urchin songs as covers etc because although its the original artist playing it, its not the original band, in other words, its not Urchin playing it. They are not technically covers, but it needed noting that they are originally Urchin songs.

The word Urchin alone points out well enough that the song is from that band. The extra noting is not needed, it's even disrespecting the writer(s) of the song, in some way. I'll try to explain it, now in the light of another band.

When Gamma Ray plays Helloween's "I Want Out" or "Future World" I'd never call these songs covers as well. Helloween founder and main songwriter Hansen wrote these songs alone. Those are his songs, rather than Helloween's songs. He is the creator. To say that he's covering his own songs for let's say the last 20 years really sounds odd, in that perspective. The same might be said of these Urchin tracks, especially when even more Urchin members were involved in that project.

Forostar said:
The word Urchin alone points out well enough that the song is from that band. The extra noting is not needed, it's even disrespecting the writer(s) of the song, in some way. I'll try to explain it, now in the light of another band.

When Gamma Ray plays Helloween's "I Want Out" or "Future World" I'd never call these songs covers as well. Helloween founder and main songwriter Hansen wrote these songs alone. Those are his songs, rather than Helloween's songs. He is the creator. To say that he's covering his own songs for let's say the last 20 years really sounds odd, in that perspective. The same might be said of these Urchin tracks, especially when even more Urchin members were involved in that project.

I understand what your getting at, I did before. I'm not arguing against your point, Im just trying to make it clear to others that these songs were written when Adrian/Andy/Dave were in a different band, and the songs style and structure may have (and have been) changed from the different arrangements.
What do you think the best way to note it is? Ill gladly change the wiki entry again.

Oops, I hadn't realized that the article already mentions/mentioned it the way I did.  :blush:
I guess I was more busy with lira's post, not realizing that it's not like that in the article. Sorry for the confusion!

So it looks good like this.  :ok:

Forostar said:
Oops, I hadn't realized that the article already mentions/mentioned it the way I did.  :blush:
I guess I was more busy with lira's post, not realizing that it's not like that in the article. Sorry for the confusion!

So it looks good like this.  :ok:

No, you were right, it was like it is in Lira's post, but I just updated it today  :p. You can check in the pages history to see what it used to look like.
Well, I think we will be seeing goodbye to this page....seeing as the Wikipedia editors seem to find it a useless article.  :censored:
Technically, its a band solo project page....but last time I tried to categorise it as such, it was taken off those categories.

I dont think I can save the page, as I doubt I'll find any credible sources to define it as a seperate band. I cant think of anywhere to merge the article either, it doesnt really fit in any of the band member's pages.

Gah!

Wikipedia is sometimes so hypocritical.  There's a separate Wiki page for every single episode of The Simpsons, but they can't keep this?  :uhm:

Invader said:
Wikipedia is sometimes so hypocritical.  There's a separate Wiki page for every single episode of The Simpsons, but they can't keep this?  :uhm:

Because any one Simpsons episode is culturally more important.

Idiots. That's all i can say. I have collected enough of Maiden rarities to create one nice webpage. Ardius, do you mind if i re-use your article text for my Hackney page?

Zare said:
Idiots. That's all i can say. I have collected enough of Maiden rarities to create one nice webpage. Ardius, do you mind if i re-use your article text for my Hackney page?

No I dont mind, go right ahead.  :ok:

Back