Non Album Maiden Songs - The Complete List

Again, it's not that I'm uninterested in seeing where they'd place, I just wanna focus on the ones that don't already have voting options in the commentary boards.

I think I'll be closing voting on this around Friday and tally up everything to have it ready by Monday, if not before it. If you haven't already submitted your votes in and still want to, now would be a good time to do it. :)

Hey y'all! As you may or may not have known, I really like the songs Maiden released but never made it to an actual album, and thus I decided to take the initiative to see what you guys think of them. I used LC's idea of a Google Forms poll to do this, so click the link to vote on each of the non album tracks on a scale of 1 - 10.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdWkcglXG-1a5Ymc9Xhpv7REtwziSY8YxgZXJ9yXqtglu_ZUQ/viewform

I've left off the tracks that eventually were released on albums, but I have included Mission From 'Arry just to see where it lands (if it doesn't win this whole thing...)

This will be open for about a month or so to give everyone a chance to vote, after which I shall compile it all to create a definite list. Yeah, I'm a hack, sue me.

Thanks!

(If there are any songs missing, something's wrong with the poll, or the link doesn't work, lemme know.)

You Forgot, Total Eclipse.

The form is now closed and awaiting a tally-up. Thanks to all who voted; there were 32 responses total, though slightly less for the actual song votes. I'll start collating the results today and will begin the "countdown" soon. I'm intrigued to see how this all stacks up. :)

FULL LIST:
1. That Girl
2. Reach Out
3. Virus
4. Doctor Doctor
5. Massacre
6. Justice of the Peace
7. Judgement Day
8. Cross-Eyed Mary
9. Juanita
10. King of Twilight
11. All In Your Mind
12. Rainbow's Gold
13. Sheriff of Huddersfield
14. I've Got The Fire
15. Burning Ambition
16. Women In Uniform
17. Kill Me Ce Soir
18. Black Bart Blues
19. I Live My Way
20. Mission From 'Arry
21. My Generation
22. Space Truckin'
23. Communication Breakdown
24. Space Station No. 5
25. Hocus Pocus
26. Invasion
27. I'm A Mover
28. I Can't See My Feelings
29. Roll Over Vic Vella
30. Bayswater Ain't A Bad Place To Be
31. Pass The Jam
32. More Tea Vicar
33. Nodding Donkey Blues

...and it's time to start this thing! Now that I actually know the results, I'm actually scratching my head because they're nowhere near what I'd have suspected. Well, a couple were, but still, it's shocking how diverse the tastes of MaidenFans members truly are. :p The highest average a song got was 7.884 - nothing hit 8/10 or above. Certainly, the list you've helped to put together via voting on the songs is a lot different from how I myself would have made it. Without further ado, let's begin!

As an FYI, there were two ties in here, so I took another page out of LC's book - most 10s a song received broke the tie.

33. Nodding Donkey Blues
Be Quick Or Be Dead B-Side
Overall: 3.36/10

This was my first surprise - I would never have guessed that out of all 33 non-album tracks it would be Nodding Donkey Blues that would be stuck at the bottom of the barrel. Personally, I think it's a pretty cool song, a nice parody of the blues, and Bruce's deadpan delivery of stuff like "lost - forever" and "there should be some kind of guitar solo here" are hilarious. I guess others don't see it that way; it is kind of a weird song for Iron Maiden to tackle, and on second thought, when he's actually singing, Bruce sounds horrendous. Ah well, this list had to start somewhere. It only gets crazier from here.

Votes:
10 - 0
9 - 0
8 - 0
7 - 3
6 - 5
5 - 5
4 - 4
3 - 4
2 - 1
1 - 3

Overall:
33. Nodding Donkey Blues

Last edited:
32. More Tea Vicar
Rainmaker B-Side
Overall: 3.4/10

I'm really surprised this wasn't actually the lowest ranked song, because it's absolutely horrendous. Apparently this was from a jam session or something, and if that's the case, I don't wanna be there when the band gets together and jams or whatever. The lyrics are stupid, Bruce's voice and the music are both horrid, and there's nothing that redeems this song whatsoever. If this was an attempt at comedy, they failed horribly. I can't even finish listening to the song - it's painful. Fuck this track, I'm glad that it's ranked this low.

Votes:
10 - 0
9 - 0
8 - 0
7 - 0
6 - 6
5 - 1
4 - 5
3 - 3
2 - 6
1 - 3

Overall:
32. More Tea Vicar
33. Nodding Donkey Blues

31. Pass The Jam
Wildest Dreams B-Side
Overall: 4.15/10

Can't say it's surprising that the two tracks from the Dance of Death sessions are back to back here. Pass The Jam is far better than More Tea Vicar - it sounds like the band is actually trying to do something here and it's not horrible... but they really need to cut the run-time in half. Eight and a half minutes are too much for something like this, and after two it starts to get boring. I ended up stopping it at five. Certainly far from the best thing they've ever made and deserving of its low rank.

Votes:
10 - 0
9 - 0
8 - 1
7 - 1
6 - 5
5 - 5
4 - 5
3 - 4
2 - 1
1 - 4

Overall:
31. Pass The Jam
32. More Tea Vicar
33. Nodding Donkey Blues

Overall: 4.21/10

Depending on your point of view, Bayswater Ain't A Bad Place To Be is either Mission From 'Arry with music or Sheriff Of Huddersfield stripped of musicality. I really do like this... well, it's not really a song, it's more of a "track". It's Bruce's Rod impression is tops and the running "commentary" or whatever this is is tremendously good, I should say. Apparently people disagree with me and dislike this bloody track because it's only bloody got to bloody #30. Bloody 'ell. Er, anyways, this track tied with another for most votes for 1. A shame, but oh well. It's quite different from a lot of Maiden's stuff so I can see it. This is the second Fear of the Dark session track to make the list, and the other three didn't place too much higher.

Votes:
10 - 0
9 - 0
8 - 3
7 - 2
6 - 3
5 - 3
4 - 5
3 - 0
2 - 2
1 - 6

Overall:
31. Pass The Jam
32. More Tea Vicar
33. Nodding Donkey Blues

29. Roll Over Vic Vella
From Here To Eternity B-Side
Overall: 4.71/10

And what did I tell you? This is a pretty cool idea for a cover, and the guitars are certainly in fine form... the problem, for me anyway, lies in Bruce's voice. People like to rag on him for that rasp he used on No Prayer For The Dying, Tattooed Millionaire, and Fear of the Dark, but he sounds actually pretty good there, especially when compared to the b-sides from NPFTD and FOTD. It's absolute shit. He doesn't sound too bad at the beginning of this song, but as it progresses, it all goes to hell and... he sounds like a shot, dying bird. Luckily for us, it's only these songs, because he sounded much better during his solo days and after he returned to Maiden.

Votes:
10 - 0
9 - 0
8 - 0
7 - 7
6 - 1
5 - 7
4 - 3
3 - 2
2 - 1
1 - 3

Overall:
29. Roll Over Vic Vella
31. Pass The Jam
32. More Tea Vicar
33. Nodding Donkey Blues

Overall: 4.78/10

Yeah, no, the Fear of the Dark cuts did not fare well on here at all. This is the third one in a row, and the fourth overall, leaving but one left to go. This song isn't the worst, and it's got a pretty cool instrumental section that sounds full of energy, but apparently that's not enough to save this one in most eyes. Bruce isn't terrible, but he's nowhere near his prime. I can see why this is so low - I think there are worse songs that this could have been over, but this isn't exactly my own list.

Votes:
10 - 0
9 - 0
8 - 2
7 - 4
6 - 2
5 - 7
4 - 2
3 - 1
2 - 3
1 - 2

Overall:
29. Roll Over Vic Vella
31. Pass The Jam
32. More Tea Vicar
33. Nodding Donkey Blues

27. I'm A Mover
Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter B-Side
Overall: 4.96/10

More early '90s Maiden b-sides for ya. I'm A Mover is a cover of a Free song, and Maiden don't... butcher it... yeah, no, Bruce does. The guitars and everything sound fine but Mr. Air Raid Siren seems to either be... trying something new or attempting something old or is out of breath or... something. Don't tell me that "follow your haaaAAAAaaaRrt" sounds good. It doesn't. It's just not as bad as the previous songs, if the votes are anything to go by. This is the last below average song; up next are those songs that average to 5 and higher.

Votes:
10 - 0
9 - 0
8 - 1
7 - 1
6 - 5
5 - 11
4 - 3
3 - 2
2 - 0
1 - 1

Overall:
27. I'm A Mover
29. Roll Over Vic Vella
31. Pass The Jam
32. More Tea Vicar
33. Nodding Donkey Blues

Overall: 4.78/10

Yeah, no, the Fear of the Dark cuts did not fare well on here at all. This is the third one in a row, and the fourth overall, leaving but one left to go. This song isn't the worst, and it's got a pretty cool instrumental section that sounds full of energy, but apparently that's not enough to save this one in most eyes. Bruce isn't terrible, but he's nowhere near his prime. I can see why this is so low - I think there are worse songs that this could have been over, but this isn't exactly my own list.

Votes:
10 - 0
9 - 0
8 - 2
7 - 4
6 - 2
5 - 7
4 - 2
3 - 1
2 - 3
1 - 2

Overall:
29. Roll Over Vic Vella
31. Pass The Jam
32. More Tea Vicar
33. Nodding Donkey Blues

Perhaps you should mention that this is actually a cover of a Budgie song from 1975 ;)

Perhaps you should mention that this is actually a cover of a Budgie song from 1975 ;)
Yeah maybe that would be a good idea. I'm kinda just writing my comments fast and putting down all my thoughts so I forgot to do this, lol.

26. Invasion
The Soundhouse Tapes Track / Women In Uniform B-Side
Overall: 5.11/10

Invasion is notable for being the only track on The Soundhouse Tapes not to be re-released on the debut album. Which is perfectly fine, because it's not as memorable as Strange World or the band's ever-popular same-name anthem. The song was, however, re-recorded and released as the b-side to Women In Uniform, another song that's a bit higher up on this list. The original is a bit slower and lacks the power subsequent Maiden songs would have. If it had been released in the '60s the band might have made some sort of wave in the British Invasion, but other than that, it's not too memorable. The re-recorded version is better, though it too isn't exactly the best thing the band has made. This song, according to our voters, is merely "average". I agree.

Votes:
10 - 0
9 - 1
8 - 3
7 - 7
6 - 3
5 - 3
4 - 4
3 - 3
2 - 3
1 - 0

Overall:
26. Invasion
27. I'm A Mover
29. Roll Over Vic Vella
31. Pass The Jam
32. More Tea Vicar
33. Nodding Donkey Blues

25. Hocus Pocus
Different World B-Side
Overall: 5.32/10

The original Hocus Pocus, by the band Focus, was a really, really cool song. It was mostly instrumental, having an awesome riff, but it also featured some impressive yodeling of all things, making it a truly unique song in the world of rock and roll. Maiden's cover isn't technically a bad one, in fact, it's very good. The guitars are on fire here, and Nicko's drumming is tops. It sounds like they're having a lot of fun, too, and it's certainly a step up from Pass The Jam and More Tea Vicar. That said, compared to the original, it really falls short. The yodeling isn't present, and maybe if they were consistent with whatever they're replacing it with it might've been a better cover. As a whole, it's merely average. Fun to listen to, but you'd rather hear the original.

Votes:
10 - 1
9 - 0
8 - 1
7 - 5
6 - 6
5 - 5
4 - 2
3 - 2
2 - 2
1 - 1

Overall:
25. Hocus Pocus
26. Invasion
27. I'm A Mover
29. Roll Over Vic Vella
31. Pass The Jam
32. More Tea Vicar
33. Nodding Donkey Blues

24. Space Station No. 5
Overall: 5.38/10

This song starts out as a Montrose cover, and a fairly good one at that, but apparently Bruce decided it would be more fun to turn it into a goofball of a track. He ends up doing some sort of race announcer thing, in which an asshole, a prick, and what have you are tearing up the asphalt. I'm actually surprised this isn't lower, given the stuff we've already seen, but then again, maybe people decided that this one was actually a fun song, if only average overall. This is, by the way, the last of the five FOTD session cuts. They really didn't last long.

Votes:
10 - 0
9 - 0
8 - 3
7 - 5
6 - 6
5 - 4
4 - 1
3 - 1
2 - 3
1 - 1

Overall:
24. Space Station No. 5
25. Hocus Pocus
26. Invasion
27. I'm A Mover
29. Roll Over Vic Vella
31. Pass The Jam
32. More Tea Vicar
33. Nodding Donkey Blues

Pass The Jam is far better than More Tea Vicar - it sounds like the band is actually trying to do something here and it's not horrible

Pass the Jam is about 10x better than I remember it. Once you get past the Brucisms that mar the first 20 or so seconds and realize the lyrics are bordering on non-sense/placeholders, it's s pretty interesting song. I said interesting, not necessarily good. The whole 1:45-5:10 section is solid including the where's the sun at midnight/where's the moon at dawn bit which has a bit of a Dio feel to it. If they spent a little time on some decent lyrics (or developing some of the themes already there) and faded the song out around 5:30 it could have been a solid addition to Dance of Death. Unless they added a repetitive chorus!

Last edited:
Back