No Flight of Icarus?? why??

rocket_man

mess with me and i'll pull out my rocket on you
was wondering why Maiden has never played Flight of Icarus live, at least as far as i know, after the World Piece Tour, it was never played again.........it was a single and a damn good song! always one of my favorites..........i have seen them three times and they have never played it and on all of their videos i have never seen it!...........it just baffles me!!...........any thoughts? does Steve hate this song? always seemed like a great song! and actually much better than some of their other singles like Can I Play with Madness or even maybe dare i say 2 Minutes to Midnight.........maybe it is tough for them to pull off the harmonies live, but i doubt that, they pull off all their harmonies off pretty well on all of their songs.........just wondering

I heard that Bruce and Adrian wanted to play it slower and Steve quicker... And I think the last tour they played it was the Somewhere in Tour
There is a version of the song of the 97 with Adrian and Bruce that is awesome

Yeah, this is the only reason, I believe. Still, the way they play it in this video is certainly not slower than they played in live with Maiden, but Adrian's solo is a bit different.

was wondering why Maiden has never played Flight of Icarus live, at least as far as i know, after the World Piece Tour, it was never played again.......
:huh:
You never saw the Live After Death version? Flight of Icarus was a steady song in the Powerslave tour.

Oh man, sweaty tight Brucie shorts. Not good... :D
Amazing how subtly different the drumming is; not as good...
Also, that Dave-lead was awful.

oop! duh! forgot about Live After Death, but i am just disapointed that it never gets played anymore.........to me it is a Maiden standard..........oh yeah and those short????? LMAO!! what was Bruce thinkin??

I heard that Bruce and Adrian wanted to play it slower and Steve quicker... And I think the last tour they played it was the Somewhere in Tour
There is a version of the song of the 97 with Adrian and Bruce that is awesome

I will always say that this is one of Bruce's best live performances ever. He's pitch perfect and he has such great breath support. :notworthy:

I think I remember Steve saying that he actually regretted recording the song at this slow tempo on the album. He said that they were in a hurry to release it and he just agreed to play it as the others wanted, but he regretted it later.

Ariana, once again I am curious where you heard or saw Steve saying that he regretted that tempo. Just curious, but once again I might have forgotten what he said in the biography.
Any source?

Nicko explains (in his funny style) in Listen with Nicko Part V how Steve wanted Nicko (thus the whole band) to play it faster when it was recorded in the studio. Text version: http://www.ironmaidencommentary.com/?url=nicko05&lang=eng&link=singles
Live it went faster, so Steve still had his way a bit later on. The Bruce version is a bit slower again (but I doubt if it's as slow as the studio version).

I remember Bruce saying he wanted to have radio play with Flight of Icarus and that was (part of) the reason why he (and H) wanted to keep the tempo low.

I had the pleasure to see this song performed on the Chemical Wedding Tour. It was the final song and the length and the power of Bruce's final note was stunning.

As has been stated already, Flight Of Icarus was a regular fixture in Maiden setlists, until a few shows into the Somewhere On Time tour when it was dropped, and has never been played live again by Maiden since. I've long heard that 1 or more members don't like playing the song live, which is why it hasn't been played live again in so long. I've always loved it, and hope one day, it will find it's way back into the setlist. :(

Well, maybe I misinterpreted what Steve said. Here's the quote:

"'Flight Of Icarus' divided critical opinion, not least amongst the band themselves. "I don't think there's anything wrong with 'Flight Of Icarus' as a song," says Steve, "though I do wish we'd had more time to break it in live before we recorded it. It was a lot more powerful live, a lot faster and heavier." However, Bruce insists, "Steve never liked it. He thought it was too slow, but I wanted it to be that rocksteady sort of beat. I knew it would get onto American radio if we kept it that way, and I was right."

Sorry for misleading you all.

I could very well be mistaken, but I thought there was a [relatively] recent interview (some time in the past two or three years) where he said Flight of Icarus was his least favorite song to play. I'll search for it in the morning.

Back