NIGHTWISH SURVIVOR 2015: Results -> Ghost Love Score wins!

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
SURVIVOR_RULES_017.jpg

Welcome to Nightwish Survivor!
There will be 8 albums and 1 EP in the game.
We start off with the first two albums - Angels Fall First and Oceanborn.
A Return To The Sea, Once Upon A Troubadour, Nightquest and Sleeping Sun* are bonuses.
(*Sleeping Sun was first recorded in 1999 for this album, then re-recorded for a 2005 single.)
Note: in some editions of the album, song Lappi (Lapland) is separated into 4 songs (Erämaajärvi, Witchdrums, This Moment Is Eternity, and Etiäinen); I count it as one here.

Only changes in rules compared to Amon Amarth Survivor are:
  • at least 3 songs will be promoted from each album (1 from the EP),
  • as previously announced - you can vote for maximally half of the songs in the poll during album rounds.

Enjoy!

These first 2 albums are definitely the Nightwish albums I've listened to the least. And they are definitely the weakest. Still good, but compared to all their other albums there's a big difference in quality. Tuomas is an awful singer, thank Barlow he stopped singing after the first album. Tarja also has a lot of problems with pronunciation/accent. Songs just aren't as catchy as their later works. Also, from what I've read in interviews and such, they were still learning how to arrange/record music, and Tuomas pretty much shuns the first album. I listened to both tonight, but I'll have to listen to them few more times more before voting.

These first 2 albums are definitely the Nightwish albums I've listened to the least. And they are definitely the weakest. Still good, but compared to all their other albums there's a big difference in quality. Tuomas is an awful singer, thank Barlow he stopped singing after the first album. Tarja also has a lot of problems with pronunciation/accent. Songs just aren't as catchy as their later works. Also, from what I've read in interviews and such, they were still learning how to arrange/record music, and Tuomas pretty much shuns the first album. I listened to both tonight, but I'll have to listen to them few more times more before voting.

Angels Fall First is almost an abomination. There's a few decent songs on there, but nothing that lives up to their later material. By comparison, Oceanborn is a masterpiece. I actually prefer it to the follow-up (Wishmaster). But I need to listen to both again before voting.

Wow, that's a lot of votes. Can't wait for AFF to be gone.

First 5 from AFF + Nymphomaniac and both (terrible) bonus tracks
Devil & The Deep Dark Ocean
Swanheart
The Pharaoh Sails to Orion

Observations:
- all of the male vocals in this band are horrific until Marco shows up later
- both of the Oceanborn bonus tracks are amazing and better than some of the songs that made the album. Nightquest is really cool and guitar-driven and Sleeping Sun is beautiful.

Beauty, Carpenter, Angels, the absolutely hilarious Nymphomaniac, Troubadour, Devil and Deep Dark whatever, Swanheart, Riddler, I can't abide Walking in the Air (damn Snowman), Sleeping Sun.

Oceanborn is a really solid album. Probably in their top 3 in my view.

Honestly, I don't think any of these comments can be attributed to the second album. Perhaps you don't like it for some reason but the songwriting is great, and the Stratovarious-influence make the album at least as catchy (if not more catchy) than later work.
If we're ever going to do a good word for power metal, this is not the way to do it! ;)

I need to listen to the debut again to see which songs are good (some are good in my memory).

The first album falls a little short, like they were still finding their way. Elevenpath has always been a solid song to me, though, sorry to see it's not terribly popular at this stage.

Much improved with a better male singer. Having heard that, though, I don't think Tarja's voice works on the quicker parts.

Behold: Tutankhamen has an awesome Maidenish touch!

EDIT:
About the songs I can appreciate: some works accentuate the more atmospherical, folky side of Nightwish, others have nice riffing and melodies.

For now, I'll spare Tutankhamen, plus the first two songs (yes Tuomas sings on the second but it has a nice midpiece) and Return to the Sea and Lappi (strong beginning and end). And Astral Romance: Tumoas spoils it for a moment (30 seconds in a song of 5:14), but listen to what happens before and especially after that! Dark stuff! Great guitar work and so damn good melodies:

Remake:

It wasn't remade for nothing. The band thought it was a good song. And it sure is!

The nightwish I sent you centuries ago ...

Last edited:
I heard both albums multiple times, finally made a decision:

AFF: Tutankhamen is by far the best song in this round. Elvenpath and The Carpenter are OK, Lappi is tolerable. Voting for the rest.
OB: Solid album. Nothing too outstanding, but also nothing too bad. Devil, Moondance and Stargazers are my favorites, in that order. Gethsemane, Passion, Pharaoh, Walking and Sleeping Sun are all good. Voting for the rest.

You guys have until Wednesday to catch up, won't update before then :)

SURVIVOR_RULES_017.jpg

Eliminated:
Angels Fall First - 7 votes
Beauty & The Beast - 6 votes
The Carpenter - 6 votes
Nymphomaniac Fantasia - 6 votes
Once Upon A Troubadour - 6 votes
Swanheart - 6 votes

Eliminated a bit more songs to move the game forward.

Elvenpath
Astral Romance
Nightingale
Return to the Sea
Devil and the Deep Dark Ocean
Pharaoh Sails to Orion
Walking in the Air
Nightquest

Back