New (post-FOTD) live staples in future tours?

Dr. Eddies Wingman

Brighter than thousand_suns
As we all know, Fear of the Dark has been nearly ever-present since it first was played. Some other songs are also played on nearly every tour.

But what do people think, will any 2000s songs join FOTD, Hallowed, and the other ever-presents in future setlists? And if so, which ones?

People seem to agree that Blood Brothers was a highlight on the set on this summer's tour. Maybe the fact that Bruce dedicated this song to Ronnie James Dio (rip) on every night of the tour contributed, but one cannot deny that it is a very potent live track. I hope they keep it on future setlists - maybe rotating it with FOTD?

Another song I feel has such potential is These Colour's Don't Run. Besides being another great singalong song, it is a song that can be a symbol of Maiden's attitude. This band does not run. When the going gets tough, Maiden get going. I think the song has anthem potential.

Of course, one can not ignore Brave New World either. Besides The Wicker Man, it is the only 2000s song that has been played on more than one tour following its album tour. It is another example of a very singalong-friendly song, it is in fact awesome live.

So what do people think? Will these songs figure frequently in future setlists, or perhaps other ones?

Once setlists are written down for a tour, they don't usually change for the whole tour and I see maiden maybe doing about another 3 tours for different albums and classics and whatnot. So it's hard to judge what post 2000 era songs will be be frequently on the setlists.

Well, BNW has come close to being a live staple, it's been played more than any other recent album songs, but not as regularly as FOTD.

These Colours and Blood Brothers would both be great as live staples, but even more I'd like to hear many different reunion songs live: Lord of Light, Brighter than a Thousand Suns, Paschendale, The Nomad, Journeyman, etc.  But those two, along with Dance of Death, are definitely among the best reunion songs live.

Ranko is correct : Brave New World has been played on three tours after the original album tour.
Since BNW, they had GMETID, DOTR, ERUTW, AMOLAD, AMOTB, SBIT and TFF tours. If you take into consideration that ERUTW and SBIT are history tours based on different eras than '2000s, the only left possible tours that BNW wasn't a part of are AMOLAD/AMOTB.
Now AMOLAD was played as a record in whole, so it left room for only very proven classics. Some people didn't like the fact that AMOLAD record pushed aside other classics, so replacing any of those 5 proven ones (Wrathchild, FOTD, RTTH, 2MTM, TETMD) would be even more risky.

AMOTB was a celebration of Number Of The Beast, but they could have included Brave New World instead of Trooper or Wrathchild or TETMD without risk, since the included TNOTB material is considered as true classic.
So this is the only time they had the room for the song, but they didn't pursue it.

In any case, when we put history tours aside, it has been played 3 out of 5. A good ratio and a hint of a future live staple. And it's deserved - it's an excellent live song, beautiful intro, beautiful buildup, great riffage, great chorus for audience participation and a blazing instrumental section.

I would much rather hear some older songs that have never been done live such as Invaders, Sun and Steel, Flash Of The Blade, Back In The Village, Long Distance Runner, Alexander The Great, The Prophecy, Only The Good Die Young.

As would many, but that isn't the point of this thread-- more to try to determine what songs from the most recent albums will become 'instant classics' like Hallowed and FOTD have.

I'd go with BNW; I'd give it pretty good odds for that.

I think Starblind deserves to be that song, even though we don't even know if it will ever be played live.

Eddies Wingman said:
People seem to agree that Blood Brothers was a highlight on the set on this summer's tour. Maybe the fact that Bruce dedicated this song to Ronnie James Dio (rip) on every night of the tour contributed, but one cannot deny that it is a very potent live track. I hope they keep it on future setlists - maybe rotating it with FOTD?

I doubt it, mate. I think the song was extra special because of its introduction and that might even be the reason why it came back at all. I wouldn't mind a concert without FOTD, though.  :D

Brave New World was played the most indeed, and this may be the only one, together with Wickerman, These Colours and Breeg, which we'll ever see back again. Somehow I feel the chances are slim we'll see more of these three albums. Focus will go to TFF and other future material, together with old classics.

chaosapiant said:
I think Starblind deserves to be that song, even though we don't even know if it will ever be played live.

Sincerely, I don't see them being capable of pulling off Starblind live, they'll have problems with it just like with Paschendale.

They didn't have so much problems with Paschendale back in 2003 and 2004. I think it depends on how much effort they're going to put in it.

Unless the band have become worse.

Forostar said:
I doubt it, mate. I think the song was extra special because of its introduction and that might even be the reason why it came back at all.

I understand your first point, but the second (which I have quoted in bold) I don't agree with. Given that the band had already decided that this tour would focus on BNW, DOD and AMOLAD, I think Blood Brothers was the third song they picked from BNW, after The Wicker Man (obvious opener) and Brave New World (the already tested live number). Blood Brothers is more suited for crowd interaction than Ghost of the Navigator, and as such I think it was an easy choice for the band to include it. It is also not that complex to play, so no risk of performing it to a standard they were not pleased with (the reason why they dropped Paschendale after a few shows).

Of course, once it was in the set it was always going to be dedicated to RJD - it just made sense. But I don't think that was their reason for including it. I just think they saw the obvious - it is an excellent live track.

Eddies Wingman said:
I understand your first point, but the second (which I have quoted in bold) I don't agree with. Given that the band had already decided that this tour would focus on BNW, DOD and AMOLAD, I think Blood Brothers was the third song they picked from BNW, after The Wicker Man (obvious opener) and Brave New World (the already tested live number). Blood Brothers is more suited for crowd interaction than Ghost of the Navigator, and as such I think it was an easy choice for the band to include it. It is also not that complex to play, so no risk of performing it to a standard they were not pleased with (the reason why they dropped Paschendale after a few shows).

Of course, once it was in the set it was always going to be dedicated to RJD - it just made sense. But I don't think that was their reason for including it. I just think they saw the obvious - it is an excellent live track.

I doubt if they originally planned to play 4 tracks from the BNW album. It's just guessing but I think they selected the first three, and they might have added Blood Brothers as a later option. Even if not, Blood Brothers is excellent when it comes to the interactive part, but I find a non-ballad such as Ghost in the Navigator with its suspenseful build-up at least as good to fit in a live set. It's no sing along song but it's instrumental section is one of the most aggressive ones of the last decade, and it can rock any crowd. Personally I like the song more than BB (I think Ghost of the Navigator and Brave New World belong in the top 5 of all tracks from the 2000, 2003 and 2006 albums) so I am not entirely neutral here (but who is anyway ;) ).

I estimate we can say goodbye to it. If I am wrong, that's fine for anybody who'd love to see it (again).

Another reason why I think it will go is that, from now on they'll probably play the maximum of only one track from this album (the title track) on the next tour. If two, then probably The Wicker Man as a second.

I do agree that BNW is more likely to reappear than BB. I don't mind, both are great - and now that I have already witnessed Blood Brothers, I doubt the next time I hear it will top it anyway.

Another reason is that there are quite some "recent" Maiden songs with calm parts (intros and outros).
And there is a golden rule which says that one of those songs, Fear of the Dark, will never be cast aside. It happened once, but that was only when the set consisted out of songs from the first 4 albums, back in 2005.

Another reason is that on the new album there are quite some epics, with long build-ups, so I reckon that Maiden will select some tracks from other albums, which are more direct and fast.

Time to bring back The Evil That Men Do and The Trooper!

Let's say they play 6 TTF songs (which would rock but is optimistic) and 5 classic eras inc FOTD (not officially classic era), that still leaves room for atleast 4 tracks from 96-2010.  Of these four tracks I imagine three would be reunion era emerging live staples....so either probably BNW, These Colours Don't Run, The Wickerman or TROBB and then a 3nd tier reunion staple such as BB, BTATS or Ghost of the Navigator.

Having never seen a reunion song live I'm hoping they do play some recent staples to accompany the TFF tracks.

I think a lot will depend on which TFF songs they'll select.

E.g., if they won't do The Alchemist (which is possible because Bruce wanted to do The Talisman and I find it hard to imagine they'll do two Janick-TFF tracks, out of 6*), there's a bigger chance for a fast 90's song like Man On The Edge.

If they'll do The Alchemist, then chances are slim they'll also do MOTE because these songs have things in common.

* Probably:
1 Janick, 1 Dave, 3 H & WTWWB or
1 Janick, 4 H & WTWWB

If only 5 TFF tracks:
1 Janick, 1 Dave, 2 H & WTWWB or
1 Janick, 3 H & WTWWB

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
Let's say they play 6 TTF songs (which would rock but is optimistic) and 5 classic eras inc FOTD (not officially classic era), that still leaves room for atleast 4 tracks from 96-2010.  Of these four tracks I imagine three would be reunion era emerging live staples....so either probably BNW, These Colours Don't Run, The Wickerman or TROBB and then a 3nd tier reunion staple such as BB, BTATS or Ghost of the Navigator.

Having never seen a reunion song live I'm hoping they do play some recent staples to accompany the TFF tracks.

This means you have not attended any post 2000 tours except Early Days/SBIT ...?

Back