n00bvivor

Porcupine Tree:

• Total voters

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
I've had this idea for a while now, thought it can be interesting:

Few people (at least 6) apply and we pick a band. Then I host a Survivor of it. However, the band in question has to be a band not one of the voters is familiar with or actively listens to. Preferably a band you've always wanted to check out but didn't. I'd be interested to see if the Top 10 would be something outrageous to a normal fan or if we'd recognize that band's "classics". My suggestion would be Porcupine Tree. I only heard one of their albums and have no idea what their classics are.

P.S. Everyone would be able to vote in the Survivor, but I want a core of non-fans :)
P.S.S. I'd host this in October / November after TBOS madness dissipates :)

So I'm putting this up for voting. If "no" wins, we'll think of something else :p (don't vote at all if you don't plan on voting in any of the games)

I own two albums and know them quite well. Never heard anything else by the band.

I'd be up for this. I've heard a grand total of one Porcupine Tree song, on YouTube, this morning.

I know one album well, definitely interested in this.

What about The Clash?

...sorry, if this seems repetitive at this point.

I think NP's idea here is something a bit different to the usual survivors, involving people voting for music they're not familiar with, to see how they react to music they hear for the first time. Most people would recognise The Clash's classics and might vote accordingly. :) A normal Clash survivor was under discussion in the main Survivor Discussion thread, I remember.

I've heard In Absentia which I thought was a VERY good album then I heard The Sky Moves Sideways and wasn't as impressed. I would probably participate but would prefer another band all together :)

Porcupine Tree is actually a band I've really started to get into recently, although I'm still only somewhat familiar with them at this point. I've listened to 5 albums so far, along with a few other songs here and there on youtube. I still have yet to listen to their older stuff, though. I have quite enjoyed most of what I've listened to so far.

Majority says Porcupine Tree, so Porcupine Tree it is :D Only question is whether I'll include Stevie's 4 solos albums or not. Anyway, it'll take me like a month or two to get this ready, so don't hold your breath :D

I think I will lump his entire output together and say SW is a pretty talented guy. From Sky Moves to The Incident and his last two solo albums, that's a pretty damn good run. Not all of his stuff works but the good stuff is great and the not so good stuff is still worth checking out. Best thing about him for me is the work he has put in remixing Classic albums for other artists. From Tull to Yes and XTC to Tears For Fears. He clearly has a fans ear for detail.

Majority says Porcupine Tree, so Porcupine Tree it is :D Only question is whether I'll include Stevie's 4 solos albums or not. Anyway, it'll take me like a month or two to get this ready, so don't hold your breath :D
I think a lot of fans tend to count the solo albums as PT. AFAIK there's not much difference between the two projects.

Back