My husband is dying...funeral song?

Sheri

Prowler
Hi everyone. My husband has been a huge Iron Maiden fan for over 20 years. He's dying of melanoma right now and I had a thought of using an Iron Maiden song at the funeral. He's unresponsive right now and can't give me any suggestions, and I only know a few songs myself. Are there any Iron Maiden songs that would be appropriate for a funeral? Just post the titles so I can look up the lyrics myself, or link to the songs that you think of. Thanks.

Wow. I'm sorry. Seems a bit early to be thinking of a funeral, though. Maybe he'll pull through...

A lot of Maiden death songs aren't really great funeral songs (Sign of the Cross, Hallowed Be Thy Name, etc). I'd say Out of the Shadows or Remember Tomorrow would have a more appropriate message. I guess it depends on how you want him to be remembered.

Again, I'm really sorry.

Thanks for your suggestions. It's not early to be thinking of the funeral; when I say he's dying, I mean he's got a few days left right now. He's unresponsive and basically unconscious most of the time. He's not going to pull through.

Most Maiden fans would probably want Hallowed Be Thy Name. The lyrical exposition (i.e. the first couple of verses) may not be the most fitting, but it really does contain some reflections on life that could be taken from a funeral sermon. Apart from that, the general mood of the song with the chiming bells, the citing of the Lord's Prayer and the fact that it is almost unaimously regarded the best song ever by Maiden fans make this the most appropriate choice, in my opinion.

You may also want to look at Blood Brothers, No More Lies, Out of the Shadows and Ghost of the Navigator for the way they deal with life and death. Only the Good Die Young and perhaps No Prayer for the Dying may also be good choices.

You can find quite elaborate interpretations of all Maiden songs and their lyrical meanings here: http://www.ironmaidencommentary.com

My deepest sympathies, Sheri.

For me, I'd suggest Infinite Dreams, really sums up everything.

I'm really sorry to hear that, Sheri.

No Prayer for the Dying, Hallowed Be Thy Name and Infinite Dreams all have up tempo parts that won't fit on a funeral. Blood Brothers or Out of the Shadows seem nice.

As the others have said, I'm very sorry to hear that.

I'm sure many of the fans here would want specific songs played at their funeral because they loved the song, rather than because of the message or mood it gives. Do you happen to know any of his favourites? Whilst the guests may not appreciate up-tempo songs or mood, if it was your husbands favourite song I would see it to be just as nice a gesture. I guess it depends on what you are aiming for.

Hallowed by thy Name, as Perun says - is one of the bands major tunes. The opening is about a condemned man in a cell, the latter half is more about his coming to terms with whats about to happen, and his views on what comes next. (Link
Blood Brothers - If I recall is written about one of the band members fathers who had recently died. It's not a mellow song, but I wouldn't call it uptempo either, and its quite nice. (Link)
Remember Tomorrow - Flicks back and forth between calm and heavy, my only concern myself would be the lyric "I shall return from out of the fire" - again, this is entirely dependant on whether you are looking for a message. (Link

Personally I think the most 'funeral appropriate' song excluding your husbands personal favourites, would be Journeyman - It's mostly acoustic. (Link)

I hope this is of some use for you, in what is undoubtedly a difficult decision.

I'm very sorry to read about your husband, Sheri. My best wishes to you both and your family, as well.

I would have to go with the previous recommendation of Blood Brothers. I think of all the songs in Iron Maiden's catalogue, this is the most appropriate for a funeral environment.

However, you may wish to see if your husband is a fan of some of the band-related works. Bruce Dickinson has written some incredible tracks that are more appropriate: Tears of the Dragon, Arc of Space, and Jerusalem may be far better.

:( I'm so sorry.

Remember Tomorrow seems the most appropriate. Is a nice, beautiful song and the lyrics fits the moment...

Though probably the only Maiden's song that would fit is Strange World, since is probably the slowest song they ever had done.

Lyrically, Blood Brothers and No More Lies are the most appropriate tracks.
They are both quite stirring emotionally as well.
Neither is solemn, but if you are looking to Maiden you are not going to find a lot of that.
If you are simply trying to recognize his love for Maiden, can't go wrong with Hallowed.
If you beautiful, haunting and more funeralesque if you will, Arc of Space is great choice.

Lost my mom to cancer three months ago. Stay strong.

My sympathies.

I would suggest Hallowed Be Thy Name, Infinite Dreams, and Blood Brothers. Lyrically they are all appropriate, while Hallowed is more of an epic and might not have the same intimate feel that you might be looking for at a funeral. Iron Maiden themselves used Blood Brothers as a homage to Ronnie James Dio when he died a few years ago. Personally however, I think Infinite Dreams would be the most appropriate for a funeral.

Again, my sympathies and good luck.

Blood Brothers. IIRC, it was (at least partially) inspired by the passing of Steve's father. It's the right vibe both lyrically and musically. Hallowed may be better for Maiden fans, but there's others at the funeral too (I presume).

Thanks for all your ideas. Jim died on Saturday. His parents planned the funeral and there wasn't really any room for his music, but I plan to have a smaller, more personal remembrance and I'll incorporate some of these songs.

My deep sympathies. For what it's worth, at least the pain is over for him now.

My heart hurts for you, Sheri. Never do know what to say, but my deepest sympathies.

Back