my friend jimmy

____no5

Free Man
let's not forget...

morrisongrave.jpg

this is how jimmy's grave looks like today....

every time when I'm sad I go to Père Lachaise to see him
and every single time
today, is his "death birthday", a lot of people will be there
I will be there too

I will like you to tell me your thoughts about him and the doors

thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrllrB142lM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t9T1_8gxbw

A friend of mine told me the doors are great if you're 15, but not so much after that.... I'm guessing he meant they have a rather immature theme to lyrics or whatnot, I've never listened to much of the Doors so I can't really comment. Evidently Oliver Stone liked them a lot :p

Onhell said:
A friend of mine told me the doors are great if you're 15, but not so much after that.... I'm guessing he meant they have a rather immature theme to lyrics or whatnot...

Immature at times, perhaps, but that's a small portion of their material. Either your friend doesn't know much about the Doors, or is thinking of some other band, or wouldn't recognize decent lyrics if he were slapped in the face with them.

To really understand the Doors, you have to recognize that their music is a combination of three traditions:

1. Jazz. Not the biggest influence, but definitely there. However, that's purely musical, so on to the lyrical aspects...

2. Rhythm and blues. Just take a listen to songs like "Soul Kitchen", "Roadhouse Blues" or "Been Down So Long". The lyrics there are deeply rooted in blues traditions, which are in turn usually focused on sex. If your friend finds songs about sex to be immature, then I imagine he doesn't like most rock music. ... OK, most songs about sex are immature I suppose, but their inherent juvenalia is part of the charm.

3. Psychedelia. If you've never used psychedlic drugs (including smoking weed), then you might not understand. I'm not condoning drug use, but if you ever listen to the first Doors album while tripping on acid your mind will be blown. These guys were expressing a state of mind which most people nowadays never experience.

Finally, remember that Jim Morrison was a poet first and a singer only by coincidence. He approached his lyrics from a point of view shared by few other rock singers.

SinisterMinisterX said:
3. Psychedelia. If you've never used psychedlic drugs (including smoking weed), then you might not understand. I'm not condoning drug use, but if you ever listen to the first Doors album while tripping on acid your mind will be blown. These guys were expressing a state of mind which most people nowadays never experience.

I will never forget watching the Doors movie during an acid trip.

I was younger then, and maybe a little stoopid  :S

But man, you should have seen those colours!!!

I used to be into the Doors big time when I was ca. 15-17 or so. I still like them a lot, and whenever I put on a song or a record, I'm always amazed anew at the music (at least on the first two albums). Still, I somehow can't understand how someone can still honestly mourn for a person who died 36 years ago. I visited Jim's grave when I was in Paris last summer, and even then I saw a hippie who was way too young to have witnessed that time wiping tears from his eyes.

Perun said:
how someone can still honestly mourn for a person who died 36 years ago.

People still mourn JFK, RFK, Lincoln, Gandhi, Che Guevara, Kurt Cobain, Jesus... The list goes on and on. You have to be VERY passionate about something to care about someone you never met.

Onhell said:
People still mourn JFK, RFK, Lincoln, Gandhi, Che Guevara, Kurt Cobain, Jesus... The list goes on and on.

I know. I don't understand that either.

SinisterMinisterX said:
Immature at times, perhaps, but that's a small portion of their material. Either your friend doesn't know much about the Doors, or is thinking of some other band, or wouldn't recognize decent lyrics if he were slapped in the face with them.

To really understand the Doors, you have to recognize that their music is a combination of three traditions:

1. Jazz. Not the biggest influence, but definitely there. However, that's purely musical, so on to the lyrical aspects...

2. Rhythm and blues. Just take a listen to songs like "Soul Kitchen", "Roadhouse Blues" or "Been Down So Long". The lyrics there are deeply rooted in blues traditions, which are in turn usually focused on sex. If your friend finds songs about sex to be immature, then I imagine he doesn't like most rock music. ... OK, most songs about sex are immature I suppose, but their inherent juvenalia is part of the charm.

Finally, remember that Jim Morrison was a poet first and a singer only by coincidence. He approached his lyrics from a point of view shared by few other rock singers.

thanks for that SMX

yesterday at Jimmy's grave it was around 10 policeman that were trying to keep things in order
not to mention the barriere around his grave.....and he is dead some 35+ years ago

it's more than a group, he is more than a poet

Dionysos_antique_assis.gif

Perun said:
I know. I don't understand that either.

*sigh* For someone so smart Perun, sometimes you are quite dumb :p  Everybody (don't any of you think you are an exception, because you're not) wants a reason to live, a purpose, something that lets them know they are doing something important with their lives. Whether other people agree with their chosen path is something else. But if elevating Morrison and other mere mortals to quasi-divine status because their actions speak to them, and then mourning their death gives someone a sense of purpose, then fuck let him have it.

Back