Music finished?

Suppose the album does die and there will be no more recording artists, something will change. I'm not sure it will be for the worse, though.

People want music. People would eventually see that not paying for music will make there be no music. It's going to be a painful process and short-term, there may be vacuum, but eventually, a system will be established again where people will have to pay artists for music. It's been that way before, I don't see why it wouldn't emerge again.

Physical copies won't die as long as there's demand for them. Vinyl used to be dead, now it's back. I also expect streaming to be a bigger money maker for artists in the long run.

The good outweighs the bad when it comes to the changes in the way people produce/consume music, imo. Everyone can get their music out and find an audience now. Consumption of music has gone up exponentially, there simply are more music fans out there. Those are good things. Having easier access to audiences also allows you to generate enough interest to get creative with your business, e.g. merch.

Suppose the album does die and there will be no more recording artists, something will change. I'm not sure it will be for the worse, though.

People want music. People would eventually see that not paying for music will make there be no music. It's going to be a painful process and short-term, there may be vacuum, but eventually, a system will be established again where people will have to pay artists for music. It's been that way before, I don't see why it wouldn't emerge again.

I was going for a different angle it's not that they aren't paying for the music, they are paying for streams. It's just they are essentially only renting access to music and therefore will only have access to this music a) for as long as they subscribe to the streaming platform and b) as long as the streaming platforms provide access to particular titles.

Back