Motörhead

I saw them live in 2009. Never their biggest fan, but Lemmy was one monster of a character. I always loved reading his interviews. He will be sorely missed.

His style pointing the microphone down at his face from above was distinctive. I tried it when I was young and found it quite comfortable, if you can play the bassline without needing to look. However, I couldn't pull off the look. Can't copy that style.

Who saw Motorhead live?

Just once for me, in 2003. I wish I'd been more familiar with the Motorhead catalog at the time; I only recognized half the songs. Still a great show.

That was the Give Me Ed Till I'm Dead tour: Maiden, Dio and Motorhead. Seems they got their Ed... two of those three singers are now gone, and the other just survived cancer. :dead:
I was there too, at the same show. My dad took me. I remember there were lots of amps and they were loud.

I saw them too - in 2011 with Maiden. I've never been a fan at all, but even I felt there was a legend in front of me. Charismatic guy.

Saw Motorhead in 2004 on a festival (Scorpions and Priest followed; awesome memories).

They played Killed by Death, probably my favourite song of theirs. In the last few years I have discovered and appreciated Lemmy's role in Hawkwind. RIP!

EDIT:
Perun's bro pointed me at a piece written by Brian May, on Lemmy's passing:
http://www.brianmay.com/brian/brianssb/brianssbdec15.html#30

EDIT 2:
An endless string of reactions here:
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/me...not-motley-crue-members-pay-tribute-to-lemmy/
(No Priest, AC/DC or Maiden (yet))

Last edited:
RIP Lemmy :(

Born to lose, live to win!

I saw them live in 2006 at Wacken. First and only time unfortunately. Time to watch some Motörhead documentaries, listen to some albums and maybe pour a Jack and Coke ;)

Lemmy in the sixties doing guitar and vocals with Sam Gopal (percussion)
Red and gold the clouds are sweeping clean the air
My thoughts returning
To a time when there was only you to share
Then I learned there was more to life and this
I learned it with your kiss and you began to run

I only knew you for a night and day
You reached into my heart and went your way
And with your going there was silence
For I knew you would not return and will you think of me at all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escalator_(album)
sam-gopal-escalator.jpg

Last edited:
I saw Motorhead five times. First time was in 1988 opening for Slayer on their South of Heaven tour. 2nd time was special: Operation Rock n Roll tour. This was where Columbia finally got smart and put all their metal artists on one tour (Priest, Alice Cooper, Motorhead, Dangerous Toys, and Metal Church). Motorhead was promoting 1916.

Third time was in 1996 promoting the Overnight Sensation CD opening for Dio. The fourth and fifth times were both opening for Maiden! (2003 Give 'Em Ed... til I'm Dead & 2008 Somewhere Back In Time Tour)

Lemmy was great every time! I remember in 2003 he walked out on stage and said "We are Motorhead and we play Rock n Roll!" and then went straight to the bass intro of Nothing Up My Sleeve. Killer! During the end of the song "Overkill" Lemmy yelled out "Don't forget us". I remember thinking that was a strange thing to say like he thought we would never see them again. Little did I know...

"Why is there so much violence on the road..why do you break stuff" - Motörhead continues to trash the hotel room and threaten the interviewer with a knife :D:D

I remember an interview Lemmy did with MTV when he said something like "we're gonna put an album out and if you don't like it we'll put out another. If you don't like that one (leans in closer to camera) we'll put out another. If you don't like that one, (leans in VERY close to camera) we'll put out another!"

Awesome.

I remember an interview Lemmy did with MTV when he said something like "we're gonna put an album out and if you don't like it we'll put out another. If you don't like that one (leans in closer to camera) we'll put out another. If you don't like that one, (leans in VERY close to camera) we'll put out another!"

Awesome.
Absolutely priceless ;)

This sucks. I will miss him. Also, my Facebook was falling down under the absolutely insane wave of condolences - even people who know nothing about heavy music have heard the news and were saddened by it (e. g. - my mother). Never would have thought Keith Richards will outlive Lemmy.

It's time to give Motorhead records a spin, from On Parole to Bad Magic.

Back