Motörhead

Thought i'd make a thread on all things Motorhead as I couldn't find one in the search tool. First thing I want to talk about though specifically is the misconception that every Motorhead album sounds the same. Now i'm not gonna act like they don't have a formula, and they can at times suffer from self-quotation, not to mention how limited Lemmy's voice can be (as awesome as it is). That said, they've taken on various styles of metal throughout the years and even explored styles from bluesy Rock:

To downright acoustic Blues:

To folk music of all things:

To an oddly metallic rendition of old time rock and roll:

To Punk:

I'm not gonna act like this always works, take for example the appallingly cheesy ballad "I Ain't No Nice Guy". Yet I do think Motorhead, are more versatile and deserve on that point far more than they are credited. What's everyone's thoughts on this?

This should be moved to "Music Discussion" sub forum by the way...but...

I love Motörhead too and I acknowledge that you've found some great examples of diversity within the Motörhead catalog...but my favorite part about Motörhead is that they're usually not diverse. They play Motörhead music...that unrelenting, thrashing, Rock N' Roll. I enjoy Motörhead when they are at their absolute most simple and when Lemmy sounds like shit on the vocals! I just want to rock out to Bomber, Iron Fist, Stay Clean, Iron Horse, you name it.... it's part of the appeal that Motörhead is Motörhead....:) And if people think they lack diversity that's because they don't "get it"!!

Still one of the best Motörhead songs!

Last edited:
This should be moved to "Music Discussion" sub forum by the way...but...

I love Motörhead too and I acknowledge that you've found some great examples of diversity within the Motörhead catalog...but my favorite part about Motörhead is that they're usually not diverse. They play Motörhead music...that unrelenting, thrashing, Rock N' Roll. I enjoy Motörhead when they are at their absolute most simple and when Lemmy sounds like shit on the vocals! I just want to rock out to Bomber, Iron Fist, Stay Clean, Iron Horse, you name it.... it's part of the appeal that Motörhead is Motörhead....:) And if people think they lack diversity that's because they don't "get it"!!

Still one of the best Motörhead songs!

Yeah I totally agree. They're by far the most punk-like metal band of the classics years. They're just such a fun band to listen to.

I think at this point, they should cancel the tour entirely instead of letting the fans down in this way.

Yeah. They've got a full US schedule this month and starting the Euro leg in November but it's time to take some time off and just focus on his health.

That's some bad news. I've seen them once live (2007 Masters of Rock festival) and it was definitely one of my most intense live experiences, let alone probably the loudest concert I've ever attended. I knew only Ace of Spades (and loved it) at the time, thanks to the Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 soundtrack :D

I think Motörhead are actually very interesting, because to most people "it's all the same" (I've heard that same opinion regarding AC/DC, ZZ Top, Ramones, heck, even Maiden from time to time), and it's fun trying them out and finding they're not. To search for the little differences between the albums, the line-ups... Let alone the fact they are so consistent! I really hope Lemmy'll get better and I will attend their concert once again, this time with my wife. :shred:

Has anyone read Lemmy's autobiography? Is it worth buying?

MetalTalk are reporting that Motörhead's US tour, which looked in serious jeopardy last week as two gigs were pulled early and others cancelled completely - will continue tonight (Tuesday 8th September), at the Pageant Theatre in St Louis.

The full press statement from the band can be read here: http://www.metaltalk.net/news2015sg/2015257.php

"I've had some health scares and I've had to really cut back on smoking and drinking and whatever. But it is what it is. I've had a good life, a good run. I do what I do still. I'm sure I'll die on the road, one way or another."

Asked if he is afraid of death, Lemmy said, "No."

And when asked in 2013 if his health issues have made him more aware of his own mortality, Lemmy said: "Death is an inevitability, isn't it? You become more aware of that when you get to my age. I don't worry about it. I'm ready for it. When I go, I want to go doing what I do best. If I died tomorrow, I couldn't complain. It's been good."

It's statements like this that makes Lemmy, Lemmy :edmetal:

St Louis went ahead as planned then :)

Another Perfect Day ;)

First saw Motorhead in the 80s....what a diverse band....despite always sounding like Motorhead :)

Back