Motörhead

From Hawkwind's facebook:

So very sad to wake to the news that we have lost Lemmy.
He was a character, a gentleman and a friend. I’ll miss him and especially our eccentric text conversations of recent years…
We had a magical bond when we played together. He had a style all of his own and his legendary bass playing will live on forever…..We’ll miss you man, you’ll not be forgotten. DB

10371494_1145391055473794_7539003051536748386_n.jpg

+

Thank you old boy!

Dave Brock, Alan Davey and Richard Chadwick joined by Lemmy and Phil Caivano of Monster Magnet performing Silver Machine. Footage from around 2005:

I'm glad he played until the very end, wasn't in perfect shape lately, but still put on an awesome show last summer... glad I managed to see him live at least once :confused:

Band is over, but I think Lemmy deserves a big tribute show in the vein of the 1991 one for Freddie Mercury. Maybe at Wacken for example.

Lemmy wasn't killed by a fashionably marketable disease. Freddie was the biggest AIDS death in history. Even Maiden referenced it in song.

I'm sure he'll get tributes at Wacken and many other metal festivals next year, but you won't see it televised live worldwide like the Freddy concert was.

I meant more in terms of all famous musicians showing up to honor him... no way Motörhead is as popular as Queen was, I know.

Just a heads up about the official livestream of Lemmy's memorial celebration in 36 hours.

"Whatever your venue, and however you can, let’s be sure to gather globally on Saturday 9th and celebrate the life of our dear friend and irreplaceable icon."

Less than a month before his death, Lemmy was filmed for an advert for Finnish dairy company Valio. Today, a version of that advert was released, reworked into a kind of tribute: "This was our magical encounter with a great man — and we’re honoured to share it with the world. Thank you, Lemmy."

... with Dave Grohl, Mikkey Dee, Matt Sorum, Slash, Mike Inez, Scott Ian, Rob Halford, Robert Trujillo, Lars Ulrich ...

Loved his words though! BTW, the stream fucked up just during the most important moment of Grohl's contribution.

http://www.vandohalen.com.br/lemmy-fez-ultimos-shows-guiado-pelo-grito-dos-fas/

Paul Inder, son of Lemmy Kilmster, was at the Grammy Awards, to watch the Hollywood Vampires tribute, and talked to the press about how his dad made through the last days on the road, despite being weakened. "He had highs and lows. He fought to get on the stage, but always made it. His personal assistant told that, on a recent concert, he was laying down on the backstage and heard the crowd screaming his name. He got up, went there and gave everything he had. He was determined to go all the way to the end, saying to all of us that retirement was out of question. It's a exemple of work and dedication, never surrendering"

Posted another Motörhead piece on my blog here. On that list I count down Motörhead's top ten greatest album openers!

Back