Metal History Book

Perun

His name struck fear into hearts of men
Staff member
Fans of Maiden!

You are hereby invited to contribute to a long-term project for the sake of fame and eternal glory. We are writing a Metal History Book.

What this means is, I've started assembling a list of metal songs and albums about history. It is an open list that you can see and edit here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P3oqVbT8qIKHz39CSJ9TYdU3MnR3P-o-uAPEtmAwTpI/edit

You are cordially invited to review this list and add to it. You can just write in the document. Right now, the idea is just to collect anything we can think of and gather song and album titles in epoch categories, which are as loose or as precise as the amount of songs warrant. This will be a work-in-progress for... well, probably forever, but I do intend to go somewhere with it eventually.

If you want to contribute more information than just band - title, you are welcome to do so (e.g. album title, year, genre, whatever), but please make it graphically distinct from the band/title part (i.e. use a smaller font size).

And yes, it's supposed to be metal. If you're unsure whether a band or song you want to add is considered "metal", see if you can find it on metal-archives.com. If it's not there, we're not adding it, because I want to have at least some sort of framework for this.

Can Nile's entire discography go under "Ancient Civilizations"? I'll let someone more familiar with that band decide.

I did that. At a later point, we can disassemble the albums and put them under more specific headers, e.g. "Pharaonic Egypt", "Egyptian Mythology", etc.

@Perun 'Imaginations From The Other Side' as an album is not wholly about Arthurian Legend - only 'Mordred's Song' and 'A Past And Future Secret' are based on this.

Just put Metallica's Creeping Death under the "Biblical" section, feel free to correct if need be.

Also added Slayer's "Jihad". Is "Eyes of the Insane" eligible?

Last edited:
I don't know, personally I would say no, but I'd accept a general consensus that said otherwise.

I would too, but I'll leave it open for discussion.

I added Alice in Chains' Rooster earlier as it is based on Jerry Cantrell's father who served as a machine gunner in the Vietnam War, just noticed the "Cold War" section has been expanded so I moved it.

There are likely to be many Metal songs about natural/man-made catastrophes - particularly modern ones - so I made a section for such songs.

Added the following in the corresponding sections:

Bruce Dickinson - The Breeding House (Unit 731)
Iron Maiden - The Longest Day (D-Day Landings)
Iron Maiden - Brighter than a Thousand Suns (Manhattan Project)
Barón Rojo - Hiroshima
Bruce Dickinson - Inertia
Bruce Dickinson - Strange Death in Paradise

Last edited:
@LooseCannon are you aware of a Canadian band called Mongol who "pays tribute to the Mongolian Empire of old"? They're in my Discover Weekly playlist on Spotify this week. It's a sign.

Back