Mental Health Thread

Do you fear death, dying, etc.?

• Yes

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • Trying my best to not think about it

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Never really thought about it and I'm unable to come up with an answer on a spot

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters
So went to my first psych appointment last Friday. Because it is through the University's psych department, it seems there main job is to help people off the ledge, stabilize and send them on their way. I say this, because the shrink I got told me flat out we'll meet for 6 sessions, a session per week. I'm cool with that, was hoping for more, I'll see if I can negotiate monthly, biyearly meetings or something around those lines later.

It was weird. Of course she asked me what I wanted to work on, I told her my anger issues, and better communication skills to prevent unnecessary outbursts.

She asked me this question, "So, tell me, Onhell, who do you think you are? How much of who you think you are is what other people tell you and you just buy into it?" So that got me thinking.

The other thing was, she said, "Ok, for homework, I want you to work on your patience." Easy, right? OOOOH man, I had a VERY trying weekend, it felt more like prophecy than homework. Ended up having a whole mess of mixed feelings. Had a heart to heart with the GF who, again, almost prophetically, had a "we need to talk," moment. Needless to say, have plenty to work with next appointment lol.

Happy to say it looks like it will help a lot regardless of the low amount of sessions.

who do you think you are? How much of who you think you are is what other people tell you and you just buy into it?
This is something I'm still working my way through. Until comparatively recently it seemed like almost everyone around me was telling me I wasn't acceptable for some reason or other. I never disappointed two people for the same reason! Even my parents can't be considered as a single unit here.

I think I hijacked the basketball thread enough. How about we continue the discussion here and bring this thread back to its roots?

GRIEF. What does it mean to you? How do you process it?

I've noticed that when it comes to loved ones I mourn if there were left things unsaid, no opportunity for closure. For example, I didn't mourn any of my grandparents. They were very old, into their 90s and it was time to go. Furthermore, I had a good relationship with them, so nothing left unsaid.

Even in tragic circumstances. For example. When I was 7 or 8, we had new neighbors move in to the house across the street. Their children, pair of twins, boy and girl, were my age. We started going to the same school and we did become friends. However, when we were like 12 or 13 they moved away. the boy, who I was closer too, also started going to a different school so we drifted apart. This is well before commonplace cell phones, internet and IMing apps. ICQ cropped up a year or so later, but even then, it wasn't a thing for people to just hangout online. So... that was that.

My mom was teaching at the same school my old friend was, but elementary, middle and high school were not only in seperate buildings, but different areas of the city. Even so, she heard that a student had gotten murdered and after a little digging she found out it had been our old neighbor. She was DESTROYED, could barely tell my brother and I who it was. I never reacted. His murder was brutal. His family was destroyed, they ended up moving to Canada. I've looked for his sister in social media and haven't had any luck. Point is. To this day I haven't cried about it, I never mourned. there was nothing left unsaid and we drifted apart, and he was an integral part of my childhood.

Oddly, I have mourned the loss of celebrities, particularly atheletes that commit suicide due to depression, steroid use, etc. But I do have a line. People are people. By this is we're all shit and just trying to get by and hopefully be a better person tomorrow than we were today. I think it was @Perun, who said something around the lines of, "You shouldn't idolize celebrities, because they're just people." I'm paraphrasing and honestly can't recall what thread it was. Some people are shittier than others, celebrities have the bad luck of having everything out in public, it comes with the territory. People die everyday, of starvation, illness, accidents, etc. The world doesn't mourn them.

So in short, how do you mourn the loss family, friends, and people you admire?

When my Dad died I didn't cry straight away, I was just stunned. It didn't seem real. I wasn't present when it happened and he'd been in hospital for a while, so I'd kind of got used to him not being in the house every day. I remember my mother standing with one arm around me, the other around my sister. They were crying, my brother and I were not, we just looked at each other like "well, what do we do now?" On the morning of the funeral there was a lot of fairly chaotic activity and that was just my family getting ready to go somewhere in its usual haphazard fashion - if felt like my Dad should be there somewhere in the background. Nothing felt unusual. But when the hearse arrived I remember deliberately not looking at it because I knew that when I looked at the coffin that would somehow make it final. So I avoided looking at it until the last possible moment: then I cried.

Three of my friends have also died over the last few years: one, about my age, apparently from suicide; another, a few years younger, from a drug overdose and the third from head injuries sustained during an epileptic fit. She was twenty three. I felt shocked and saddened by the knowledge that they were no longer in the world with me, but on the other hand I hadn't seen any of them for a while so it wasn't like they had suddenly been removed from my life in a way I would immediately feel. I didn't cry.

When we hear about people (sometimes in far-flung corners of the globe) dying from diseases, starvation or accidents etc we can know it's tragic and we can feel sad about it but unless we actually know something about the person/people in question then I don't think we have anything to actually mourn (although I bet that the people close to them do). This is where a well-conceived, symbolic memorial can come into its own, and this is the most effective I have ever seen. It gives you a small window into the lives of those people, albeit right at the moment those lives ended. It provides a connecting point: a plinth with names on is just a lot of names and a big war cemetery is just a big cemetery but those empty chairs enable me, at least, to visualise people out of what would otherwise be just names and statistics.

I think this is what happens when we mourn celebrities. We know things about them based on things they (and others) have said in interviews etc, and we feel like we know them (even though we may have made up a lot of it). In however indirect a way they are an important part of our lives, and for those of us who particularly admire someone, that admiration can be an important part of our lives. When Janick eventually goes I will weep - I know that's coming - he has been such an inspiration to me in all sorts of ways, and my life has changed for the better as a result. I have no delusions that he's perfect or in any way superhuman, he just seems to be a thoroughly decent normal bloke who gives every outward appearance of being at peace with the world and himself. I just feel a bit better about the world for the knowledge that he's in it somewhere. I've never met him, but he's an important part of my life.

When our cat died I cried for at least half an hour. She had been an important part of my life for (at that point) about half of it. And when my childhood home burned down (which I mentioned in the ghosts/supernatural thread) I also spent some time crying: it felt like it was part of my life that had just gone up in smoke.

It's also possible to mourn people who are not actually dead, as I found out recently. Someone close to me decided, for reasons I have yet to understand, that I had injured them in some way deliberately, that this had been going on for several years, and that they no longer wished to have anything to do with me. (Now happily resolved, by the way.) After the initial shock had subsided the first feeling I was aware of was grief - it was literally just like a bereavement. The person in question was demonstrably not dead, they just weren't there anymore. Also when John Lawry left Petra my mother observed that I seemed to be "grieving" - I was certainly upset but I never claimed to be grieving, this was her own observation. But I suppose it was fairly accurate because to me Petra was all about John Lawry. Yet John Lawry was not dead - he just wasn't there anymore.

My overall conclusion is that what I'm actually mourning is the loss of a person, rather than the fact they have died (similar but probably not identical to @Onhell's observation about "unsaid" things - obviously everyone's different). But though we must eventually get used to the person not being around any more (or else go crazy), I'm not convinced we ever fully accept that they're not coming back. My Dad has been gone now for twenty years but I still see things that I know would have interested him and think "I must tell my Dad about that". And then I remember that I can't.

I think this is what happens when we mourn celebrities. We know things about them based on things they (and others) have said in interviews etc, and we feel like we know them (even though we may have made up a lot of it). In however indirect a way they are an important part of our lives, and for those of us who particularly admire someone, that admiration can be an important part of our lives. When Janick eventually goes I will weep - I know that's coming - he has been such an inspiration to me in all sorts of ways, and my life has changed for the better as a result. I have no delusions that he's perfect or in any way superhuman, he just seems to be a thoroughly decent normal bloke who gives every outward appearance of being at peace with the world and himself. I just feel a bit better about the world for the knowledge that he's in it somewhere. I've never met him, but he's an important part of my life.

Funnily enough, I just came across the page in Rowling/Galbraith's Cuckoo's Calling that describes just this - this false feeling of intimacy with celebrities. As if they were ours or whatever.

This is actually something I'm trying to avoid as far as possible. Well, sometimes it's not that hard, because a lot of my favourite artists and idols are long dead, but even if they aren't... well, they are still people who speak to me in an awesome way, true, but I often seriously doubt I'd even want to be friends with them in private.

My life has been so far quite deathless - thank God - I lost my grandfather, whom I mostly remember from his latter stages of debilitating disease - he had Parkinson's combined with dementia. For the last three years he was mostly being taken care of by the family. The years prior.. honestly, I don't remember all that much. Well, I do, but seeing him go was hard, but not as overwhelming as I though it might be. Maybe it was because of the disease angle.

Also, wife's grandmother died the previous Sunday. This time it was someone we even had little contact with. It's been mostly rough because of the rest of the family, who feel the cut much deeper than me and wifey do.

Still, it's a very creepy sensation ... and a very awakening and spiritual one as well - knowing that someone you know is gone ... and you won't be seeing him, not here, in this mortal coil anyway.

That said, when I'm not being shaken with the death of my relatives (or nearly so), I simply refuse to be shaken with the death of the celebrity. Yes, it might be tragic (if they're young or they go in bad circumstances), but... well, I'm more inclined to cry for the people taken by Boko Haram, or those whose lives were destroyed by ISIL or children dying of AIDS.
I mean that, I'm not trying to be a Miss America here (and I would convince no-one anyway) - those are people and fates I pray for much more often than celebrities.

I dunno, maybe I'm just rambling. But your point of view was interesting, even though I disagreed with it.

Funnily enough, I just came across the page in Rowling/Galbraith's Cuckoo's Calling that describes just this - this false feeling of intimacy with celebrities. As if they were ours or whatever.
Ah but I didn't say anything about intimacy or any sense of entitlement: that suggests a two-way thing. I'm perfectly aware that if I ever did meet Janick he wouldn't know me from a bar of soap - I'd be just another fan to him and I'm perfectly okay with that. And I don't feel any need to turn up on his doorstep and stalk him either. But the fact remains that you can know things about people from what they say in interviews, in the same way as you can "know" someone to an extent as a result of reading their autobiography or a published collection of their letters. (And not just famous people either: on this board we all communicate with people we've never met, and get to know them a little as a result of the things they say.)

The resulting picture may be incomplete but it's also unlikely to be hopelessly wide of the mark (especially in the case of someone like Janick, who has a reputation for honesty which precedes him and has done for many years). It's only when you start filling in the gaps yourself in the manner they do in speculative historical fiction, and then forget you've done it, that you start getting into trouble. You have to keep in mind that the picture you have is incomplete and accept it for what it is.
That said, when I'm not being shaken with the death of my relatives (or nearly so), I simply refuse to be shaken with the death of the celebrity. Yes, it might be tragic (if they're young or they go in bad circumstances), but... well, I'm more inclined to cry for the people taken by Boko Haram, or those whose lives were destroyed by ISIL or children dying of AIDS.
I mean that, I'm not trying to be a Miss America here (and I would convince no-one anyway) - those are people and fates I pray for much more often than celebrities.
I don't doubt your sincerity but I think it's only fair to point out that, though it's easy to see that "celebrities" are not more important than anyone else because they are famous and that the people you have mentioned are not less important as a result of not being so, the reverse is also true: being famous doesn't make the celebs less important either. They're people too. At the end of the day we're all just normal mortals doing our best to get from one day to the next, in whatever form that may take in the place where we happen to find ourselves.

Sometimes I feel like I just don’t know how to live. I keep losing everyone I care about and I don’t seem to belong anywhere. Am I doing something wrong or are people assholes? When I’m in company, I hate the excessive noise (figuratively) that people produce, and when I’m alone, I crave to be with others. In times like these, my thoughts lead towards ending it all, time and again.

When I’m in company, I hate the excessive noise (figuratively) that people produce
Me too when I'm with a lot of people (starting from 3 to 5 people), and sometimes even one person can be annoying as hell.
I keep losing everyone I care about and I don’t seem to belong anywhere. Am I doing something wrong or are people assholes?
I used to feel the same thing some time ago, now I'm better. The change that I made is just realising that maybe I don't need to be liked / validated by a lot of people and a lot of friends, maybe if only a small number of people (familly + 2 or 3 others) likes me I will be ok. Now I still don't feel like I belong to "groups" of people, but I don't care about them anymore, I don't care about impressing them, I don't care that much about being liked by them (it is still nice to be liked though). I only care about that small number of people and I'm fine.
If you are really alone, no familly no gf and 0 close friends , It will be hard though.

Sometimes I feel like I just don’t know how to live. I keep losing everyone I care about and I don’t seem to belong anywhere. Am I doing something wrong or are people assholes? When I’m in company, I hate the excessive noise (figuratively) that people produce, and when I’m alone, I crave to be with others. In times like these, my thoughts lead towards ending it all, time and again.
I went through a few years like this too. I had a few friends in primary school but they had all parted company with me by the time we were 13 and after that I spent several years seemingly isolated from everything and everyone. Now, I've always been fine with my own company but that sense of total isolation and, more to the point, of having no reference points outside my own family, were psychologically very bad for a number of reasons. I can totally relate to the feeling of not belonging anywhere, of feeling that you must be "doing something wrong". My late teens were a very dark time indeed but by age 20 I had started to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

This was when I landed my first "proper" job. It was hardly the dazzling career my mother wanted but for me it was life-changing because I suddenly went from being in more or less complete seclusion to spending 8 hours a day in the company of salt-of-the-earth type blokes who all wanted to adopt me as a sister or a daughter, and generally seemed to accept me for myself and even to like me.

Through their acceptance and approval I came to understand that I am valid as a human being, which circumstances had previously caused me to doubt. During the two years I worked there I went from having no confidence to having some confidence, and I was able to start working out who I wanted to be as a person. I'm still working through that to some extent but by the time I was 25 it had settled to the extent that I was able to get from day to day being reasonably happy with myself. But if I had ended it at 18, as I often felt like doing, I would never have come into the place where I could begin to change my own circumstances.

Hold on there Saap because trust me, the wilderness years don't last forever. And the smallest changes can make the biggest difference.

Thought It would be a good idea to do a quick check on everyone and how they are holding up during this quarantine, regardless of the level of it (phase 1, 2, 3, etc.)

In Mexico it varies from state to state, some in Mexico State, like in pockets of the U.S they're flat out ignoring the stay at home ordinance and going about their business. But for the most part people are staying in.

It has been frustrating when I do go out to see people just "hanging out" in blatant disregard for the stay at home, and on top of that either not wearing a mask or wearing it wrong.

The police has made rounds with a loudspeaker telling people to stay home and IF they go out to wear a mask. Such level of stupidity/ignorance has been frustrating, but just dealing with staying at home has been frustrating as well.

I watched a video on how to deal with quarantine and I agree with everything he says.... my GF.... not that she doesn't agree her follow through has been.... less than optimal. I'm an introvert, low key, low energy and I am actually pretty comfortable staying at home. She is high energy, extroverted, and would fit into the casually thrown around definition of ADD. Being stuck at home has been a challenge for both of us, becuase she gets easily bored and she usually solves it by trips and outings, which she can't do. She's not a gamer so she doesn't want to play videot games, has never been much for board games as she finds them boring. She likes to read, but like myself, we're reading so much for school/work we don't want to read on our downtime. We do watch stuff together on Netflix, but sometimes I get bored of it. I tell her to watch something on her own while I goof off on my laptop or phone and she says she's fine watching something on her phone.

At first I didn't mind, but I've gotten increasingly annoyed at the fact she refuses to watch things on the actual TV, something primaraly designed to WATCH things. Watching things on your phone is to kill time on the bus, between classes, but it was never meant to replace watching TV. trying to see things on such a small screen so close to your face is horrendous for your eyes. Also.... she watches it in bed.

I say all of this because she's been having trouble falling asleep and staying asleep and by extension that's been causing me to have issues sleeping. She says she doesn't know why. Oh, I KNOW why. She doesn't keep to any schedule and doesn't respect the sanctity of the bedroom as a place for SLEEPING ONLY. Instead of waking up early in the morning with me, whether she has things to do or not is just feeding into this negative cycle.

Thankfully we can talk things out. We've had one major argument thanks to the quarantine, but we worked it out. I'm not surprised on the amount of people getting divorced/breaking up during this time. Quarantine is forcing people to face their issues head on and it isn't easy. We've stayed true to our commitment to communicate things, even if they hurt (She wasn't happy when I told her wanting to be with me every second was interfering with work and I wasn't too happy when she told me what a jerk I was putting work before her mom's bday after all she's done not just for us, but me specifically) and it's led to true resolution and trust.

While so far so good, it hasn't made it any less stressful. Have you guys been able to make and KEEP a helpful routine?

Thought It would be a good idea to do a quick check on everyone and how they are holding up during this quarantine, regardless of the level of it (phase 1, 2, 3, etc.)

In Mexico it varies from state to state, some in Mexico State, like in pockets of the U.S they're flat out ignoring the stay at home ordinance and going about their business. But for the most part people are staying in.

It has been frustrating when I do go out to see people just "hanging out" in blatant disregard for the stay at home, and on top of that either not wearing a mask or wearing it wrong.

The police has made rounds with a loudspeaker telling people to stay home and IF they go out to wear a mask. Such level of stupidity/ignorance has been frustrating, but just dealing with staying at home has been frustrating as well.

I watched a video on how to deal with quarantine and I agree with everything he says.... my GF.... not that she doesn't agree her follow through has been.... less than optimal. I'm an introvert, low key, low energy and I am actually pretty comfortable staying at home. She is high energy, extroverted, and would fit into the casually thrown around definition of ADD. Being stuck at home has been a challenge for both of us, becuase she gets easily bored and she usually solves it by trips and outings, which she can't do. She's not a gamer so she doesn't want to play videot games, has never been much for board games as she finds them boring. She likes to read, but like myself, we're reading so much for school/work we don't want to read on our downtime. We do watch stuff together on Netflix, but sometimes I get bored of it. I tell her to watch something on her own while I goof off on my laptop or phone and she says she's fine watching something on her phone.

At first I didn't mind, but I've gotten increasingly annoyed at the fact she refuses to watch things on the actual TV, something primaraly designed to WATCH things. Watching things on your phone is to kill time on the bus, between classes, but it was never meant to replace watching TV. trying to see things on such a small screen so close to your face is horrendous for your eyes. Also.... she watches it in bed.

I say all of this because she's been having trouble falling asleep and staying asleep and by extension that's been causing me to have issues sleeping. She says she doesn't know why. Oh, I KNOW why. She doesn't keep to any schedule and doesn't respect the sanctity of the bedroom as a place for SLEEPING ONLY. Instead of waking up early in the morning with me, whether she has things to do or not is just feeding into this negative cycle.

Thankfully we can talk things out. We've had one major argument thanks to the quarantine, but we worked it out. I'm not surprised on the amount of people getting divorced/breaking up during this time. Quarantine is forcing people to face their issues head on and it isn't easy. We've stayed true to our commitment to communicate things, even if they hurt (She wasn't happy when I told her wanting to be with me every second was interfering with work and I wasn't too happy when she told me what a jerk I was putting work before her mom's bday after all she's done not just for us, but me specifically) and it's led to true resolution and trust.

While so far so good, it hasn't made it any less stressful. Have you guys been able to make and KEEP a helpful routine?
My routine has been crap, although I'm the only one cooking meals at the moment, so I have a lot of focus on online shopping, planning meals, and cooking. I've experimented with different recipes too, which has probably been quite a productive use of time. I'm hopefully getting a work computer in the next fortnight, so I'll be more in a routine then.

But using a phone in bed is generally considered a bad idea from the point of view of mental health advice from charities and healthcare providers. The light from a phone or computer screen is quite white and stark, and may make it more difficult for your mind to wind down. Plus there are lots of distractions on phones and the internet which can have your mind racing off at tangents at a time when you're supposed to be unwinding. Reading a print book or listening to music (maybe not blasting loud Maiden!) is more the kind of thing recommended. Except if I start reading a book I end up reading the whole thing. :(

Reading a print book or listening to music (maybe not blasting loud Maiden!) is more the kind of thing recommended. Except if I start reading a book I end up reading the whole thing. :(
I agree on the book part, and prog is good for "just before sleep" times. AMOLAD is probably the best Maiden album for these sorts of things.
Honestly, the music I listen to before sleeping ranges from Pink Floyd to Slash, depending on my stimulation level.

There's also the time I had a nightmare after listening to Radiohead before sleeping.

the casually thrown around definition of ADD.
Did you know ADD isn't really a term now? It's a subset of ADHD, which has been divided into three types: ADHD-Hyperactive, Inattentive and Combined.
Also, you probably shouldn't be casually throwing around definitions for relatively serious neurological conditions.

From past conversations, Onhell is actually very aware of ADHD. I can't remember if it's in this thread or not.

Same. Here, I should share the video I mentioned:
What an extraordinary little video! Very well-considered and thought-provoking. I wouldn't say I disagreed with any of it, more that I've found in my own personal experience that some things work differently for me - for example I can use my laptop in bed without it keeping me awake because I've long known that few things make me sleepy more effectively than bright lights (and coffee). But the main message to keep in mind the essential purpose of whatever you do, and trying to keep the different areas of your "new life" separate, is definitely something to keep in mind.

The kind of work I do is not really practical with less than two monitors and all I had originally was my laptop, so I borrowed another monitor from work, the boyfriend dug out a spare keyboard and mouse (both hardly used) and I acquired a second set of wrist supports. But I didn't have anywhere proper to set it up so it was all arranged precariously across whatever I could find, which at the time happened to be a selection of tiny, wobbly folding tressel tables of the kind you'd use to eat your dinner in front of the telly. Which meant that I had to dismantle it all at the end of every day in order to get back my bedroom so I could go to bed. Also they weren't quite the right height so it soon started to take a toll on my back. If it hadn't been for the boyfriend I think I would have gone screaming up the wall on day two because I was panicking as soon as I looked at it.

I've now established a much more satisfactory home office setup by acquiring, at the cost of £80, a better folding table that I can leave set up and use more normally as a desk (it blocks off the access to six drawers but I can still get at four of them by crawling underneath the table :lol:). I'm hopeful that it's going to get better going forwards, because (among other things) as of yesterday all my deadlines have been met so the immediate pressure is off me; and as for the additional workload dropped on us by the govt, we've done it all once now so we have a much better idea of what we're dealing with (basically for the six weeks we weren't really sure what was coming). My next step is to try to plan my regular work more effectively and make sure my work time is clearly defined. As for the communication issues, I'm aware that my line manager has been trying to shield me (as if she didn't have enough to do already) and I know that the people at the "top" are aware it's an issue and are considering options. But we've always had this in our favour: it's a nice friendly office and our team gets on really well with each other.

Don't worry, it'll all make sense. I'm a professional :lol:
bill-and-ted-rufus.jpg

From past conversations, Onhell is actually very aware of ADHD. I can't remember if it's in this thread or not.
I just checked - you're right, it is in this thread. He does know about it.
Still, there's a point for @Onhell: wouldn't a high-energy, extroverted person be going against the stereotype of ADDADHD-Inattentive, given that it's characterised by hyperactivity in thoughts and not in actions?

I just checked - you're right, it is in this thread. He does know about it.
Still, there's a point for @Onhell: wouldn't a high-energy, extroverted person be going against the stereotype of ADDADHD-Inattentive, given that it's characterised by hyperactivity in thoughts and not in actions?

Yup, that's why I said the "casually thrown around definition," aka misconception of it. She does display hyperactivity AND is easily distracted/forgetful. I can actually SEE her not being able to keep up with her own thoughts. It's pretty cute actually lol.

What an extraordinary little video! Very well-considered and thought-provoking....

He's one of my go to youtubers for critical content. I've been considering getting a computer desk even if I just have a laptop, just to do something somewhere other than the couch or bed.

Back