Mental Health Thread

Do you fear death, dying, etc.?

• Yes

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • Trying my best to not think about it

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Never really thought about it and I'm unable to come up with an answer on a spot

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters
Telling depressed or anxious people to stop overthinking offers no help whatsoever.
Absolutely agree with you. I realize depression is a clinical condition, and therefore, I could not tell anyone just to get over it. But there are other stages before depression and getting busy with stuff, going out or working out, as yourself pointed out, can be all helpful to keep one's mind off things.

Edit: Just read back what I posted above. I admit it sounded like I was referring to people with depression, so I apologize. In my defense, I can say I posted it from my phone while having meatballs in Ikea. Probably not the best timing in terms of concentration and smooth flow of thought.

Socialization is key as well. And I don't mean socialization on the internet.
Yeah, I agree. I’ve done as much as possible to make time spent online less that time spent with other people, and school helps with that a lot. The one problem, like I said in a previous post, is that I can’t shake from my mind that feeling that all this isn’t real - looking at the world through a 2D lens. But I enjoy spending time with my friends and I’ve become more socially active and have worked very hard to get less anxious in front of groups, and it’s been getting much better. Thus the real issue is finding out how to stop my brain from all the overthinking it does, and I doubt it’ll go away soon, because I’ve really tried and nothing completely works. It’s something I’ll have to live with I suppose and maybe I can channel that energy into my writing and stuff.

Happy happy happy! And grateful!
After this week, and especially the last 3-4 days (which would look like a mess on the graph of my mental state), I've been the happiest I remember myself (no exaggeration!) during those last 3 hours, from tears of confusion to an hour straight of tears of joy!

I thought nothing exists, and then I thought I'm alone, and weak I listened to funny things funny people said and I felt more alone. And then I felt immense love, had an excellent Wednesday, fell back into the trap, cried even more and some fear of death.
Then I decided I have to re-convince myself I'm not alone.
Went out with the dog.
Went to the bathroom.
Found the flaw in my logic, and the world is blooming...

I didn't tell anybody about this (except for the post on Wednesday), my parents were away from Thursday to Wednesday so I was mostly alone. But this was like extreme loneliness. Not 'I'm not accepted' loneliness, but 'I'm the only one that is real' loneliness. My heart was shaking so hard and lots of tears were shed...

It felt like I was one moment in Hell and the other in Heaven, and to think people didn't act as if something's wrong with me is absolutely mind boggling.

Life and Death have been on my mind as of late. I normally don't have a conversation about Death with my students, but I do about Life and purpose. I'll post about this elsewhere, but it usually has to do with work and what they'll do the rest of their lives. Have they thought about it? How concerned are they? Whether it is the middle schoolers or the college kids, it is a chat I always have with them as it is either directly or partly tied to a unit we are looking at. Most jobs will be automated or done by a robot (even mine) in the next 10 to 20 years. What drives you? What gives you purpose? What are you working towards?

I introduce them to Maslow's pyramid of needs: Physical or basic needs, followed by security, social, ego/esteem and finally self-actualization. After I give them a very basic rundown I tell them, "I'll save you thousands of dollars in therapy," and proceed to erase all but the bottom two. "THESE should be your priorities, not being famous, not making tons of money, but making ENOUGH money to meet your physical needs and your sense of safety. The rest tends to fall into place on its own." Then I tell them to keep an open mind and have options in terms of what to do with their lives. I use myself as an example. I've worked at a gas station, domestic violence shelter, behavioral health clinic, car agency, as a DJ, tutor, pharmacy technician and now as an English teacher/professor. Some by choice, some by necessity, but always giving it 100% and looking for opportunities. Thanks to my attitude, not my job, I've been content/happy at most of my jobs.

My aunt died last week. My mother's oldest sister in her late 80s. I felt nothing. Not only because I really didn't know her well, but because she was in her late 80s.... time to go. I felt bad when my brother brought me the funeral program and I thought to myself, "I'll put it with the rest," as though they were baseball cards. I felt bad for the inappropriateness of the joke, then a tad sad that at my relatively young age of 35 I have amassed a few funeral programs from friends and loved ones that have passed.

Yesterday I saw the news that U.S Olympic cyclist, Kelly Catlin, died at 23. She killed herself in her Stanford University dorm room. I was devastated. A quick Google search of her name and all major news outlets have a piece on her. My aunt's death didn't even make me flinch, the death of a complete stranger has me pretty down. Again, my aunt was old, it was expected. This young woman was an Olympic medalist, 3 time world champion, seemingly with her entire life ahead of her. All gone.

I posted in the hockey thread many years ago at my pain at seeing a slew of players kill themselves after retirement. Some time later Rhonda Rousey spoke of the suicidal depression she suffered after losing her MMA title. She said something to the effect of, "Winning was everything to me, when that was taken from me I had nothing left." Hockey legend Bobby Orr stated something similar in his memoir. How, after being forced into retirement due to knee injuries and with no money, because his agent stole it, he was lost and only 30 years old.

Athletes work single-mindedly towards a specific goal and once achieved or taken away they're left with nothing. What's next? I'm not going to pretend to know why Catlin killed herself, but I'm willing to bet it was due to somehting around those lines. 23 years old, a young person, but an old athlete. She was attending a great University, but I'm sure she still felt lost.

I will echo what I said in my post about the 3 loves and the meaning of life: It doesn't matter what your purpose is, as long as you have one. I'll add what I tell my students when I tell them to just focus on the first two rungs of Maslow's needs. The reason they should be your priority is because everything else can change and you have to be willing and able to accept that. I wanted to become a priest at one point. Clearly that never happened. I'm not bummed about it at all.... priorities change, secondary needs change and we have to change with them.

The point you make about your aunt & the athlete you didn't know is an interesting one. I think the reality is we often don't know the people close to us that well & feel we know these people we've never met so much better. Celebrity/athlete stories are very much constructed & presented narratives; in terms of really knowing that person it's very shallow. With family I think people genuinely don't always know, for example, about their own parents' lives before they were born; and for that reason alone, not knowing their history, in a sense one doesn't really know them. Which is kinda sad. One can always remedy that, of course; but often people seem to realise this after loved ones are gone...

Also, totally unrelated: I think automation in "10-20 years" time is bullshit tbh. It's totally possible, yes; but for plenty of working lives I don't think this is going to be delivered. I believe I'll personally still be pushing paper about for the remainder of my working life.

The point you make about your aunt & the athlete you didn't know is an interesting one. I think the reality is we often don't know the people close to us that well & feel we know these people we've never met so much better. Celebrity/athlete stories are very much constructed & presented narratives; in terms of really knowing that person it's very shallow. With family I think people genuinely don't always know, for example, about their own parents' lives before they were born; and for that reason alone, not knowing their history, in a sense one doesn't really know them. Which is kinda sad. One can always remedy that, of course; but often people seem to realise this after loved ones are gone...

While I agree with your point, it was not my original intention. It was more the contrast of what I personally consider having lived a long life and the tragedy of an "untimely" death, due to feeling lost and without purpose.

Also, totally unrelated: I think automation in "10-20 years" time is bullshit tbh. It's totally possible, yes; but for plenty of working lives I don't think this is going to be delivered. I believe I'll personally still be pushing paper about for the remainder of my working life.
[/quote]

I plan on posting about this on the What Tech You Got topic sometime this week.

Back