Mental Health Thread

Do you fear death, dying, etc.?

• Yes

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • Trying my best to not think about it

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Never really thought about it and I'm unable to come up with an answer on a spot

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters
I’ve started to think a lot about not having friends again, and missing ones I used to have, even if they weren’t good. Thankfully, I have one friend I can talk to anytime, and frankly, I don’t know how I would survive the morbid loneliness without her.

My experience is perhaps somewhat related:
When you’re doing well, when you feel confident, healthy and successful, people want to work with you or just be with you, you’re given even more confidence and love.
But then in times when you don’t feel strong or confident and you could perhaps need a little help, not only don’t they help but some of them even try to take advantage of it, give you even more shit or blame you for their own problems. It really hurts if some of them are part of what you considered “family”.
At least you can see who the people are you can still count on. It’s like a cliché, but it’s true.
Perhaps people are different in other regions of the world, though. I don’t know.

I do not fear death per se, but I fear dying too soon.

The husband of a very good friend/former colleague died on Sunday. The world is full of dreadful people, and a 42-year-old excellent human being, with an insatiable zest for knowledge and always willing to help, who became a father 6 months ago has to die. The whole thing is terribly unfair. :(

I’m currently off work with anxiety. I’m a teacher and finding the online delivery really difficult. Even after a year of counselling things can still get tough. One day at a time...
You're definitely not alone. I've seen countless videos of teachers "losing it" during their virtual classes. Most rip into the students, but more than one just quits. They're like, "You know what? Fuck it, I quit. I'm done with this shit." Those that have quit in said ways are normally older teahers/professors in their 60s/70s.

I HATE the online classes, but at the same time I'm just thiankful to still have work during these trying times. It's gotten so bad I get bimonthly calls from my bank to check on me. They don't do it from the kindness of their hearts, they just want to make sure I can pay my loan lol, but still, they do the calls to make sure everything is cool and if there have been any changes they can "help."

I'm not looking forward to this semester. I'm hoping it's the last fully online and that next semester we can have a hybrid model as the vaccines become more available.

I'm glad I was able to adapt and adjust, but many haven't been so lucky. I still don't like it, but it's better than being unemployed.

Thanks for the messages, guys. It does suck being off. I am going to try some lessons next week to see how they go.

You have to embrace it. I am a University lecturer myself and have only had 10 face-to-face sessions with my students since March 2020. The rest have been online, with mix of live and pre-recorded material.

I do miss the contact with students, but I am (so far) in a much better position than other people who cannot work from home or have been forced to stop working.

Things would get better. Don’t despair!

You have to embrace it. I am a University lecturer myself and have only had 10 face-to-face sessions with my students since March 2020. The rest have been online, with mix of live and pre-recorded material.

I do miss the contact with students, but I am (so far) in a much better position than other people who cannot work from home or have been forced to stop working.

Things would get better. Don’t despair!
I did my lessons today. They went pretty well and I felt surprisingly calm! I teach primary school music two you can imagine it is quite fun. Primary kids are surprisingly good at using Google Classroom. Work are building up my workload slowly. This was a good first step.

I'm glad that you have adapted well to the online teaching. It must be challenging conveying university level work to students.

I did my lessons today. They went pretty well and I felt surprisingly calm! I teach primary school music two you can imagine it is quite fun. Primary kids are surprisingly good at using Google Classroom. Work are building up my workload slowly. This was a good first step.

I'm glad that you have adapted well to the online teaching. It must be challenging conveying university level work to students.

I am happy to hear the lesson went well!

I am not sure I have adapted well, although feedback from students has been quite positive.

I have been teaching exclusively online since March.
I would say both my students and I have adapted well - we use lots of interactive tools that keep everyone engaged and involved in the classes, and with a little bit of effort and planning, it all goes smoothly and we are having great fun. Yes, I miss the face-to-face contact tremendously, but overall, I think we're doing well.

Last edited:
I think it's inevitable, and I try to make my days worth as many as they might be. Might be few left too, no one can really tell for sure. Countless examples to prove my words and don't even need to mention them! We even have my grandma fighting with Cancer for the last year, and she's stuck home as the pandemic doesn't allow her much movement around the city. Of course, you can imagine the pain she would have been through if she didn't get a pain reliever to resist. To my surprise kratom types are the most natural means of alleviating pain as they are made of herbs used by the Asian community for hundreds of years. At least she's not suffering.

Last edited:
I just watched this and I thought about sharing it here, in the mental health thread.

Yes, it is a video in support of prospective young creative writers, but it touches a lot more stuff, including the idea of inherent practices (as Alasdair MacIntyre would put it) and the way they keep us going in life and the power of hope as a general catalyst. And it possibly hints at the idea of self-worth in a way.

And it's very realistic. And Brandon is just a big ol' teddy.

Plus - a parrot!

P. S. - If having Brandon seriously discuss how he was having a personal crisis and an emotional and motivational low while the parrot happily jumps around on his shoulder doesn't brighten your day, I guess there's a possibility nothing would.

Last edited:
What I fear about death is losing all the memories and experiences from ‘this life’, like being reincarnated and having the reset button being pushed. I hope there’s some sort of afterlife or a higher level of existence and that my memories from now will still be intact. Either that or roaming around the cosmos like the Silver Surfer from Marvel Comics would be awesome. Part of me believes that if I hope and believe hard enough that the afterlife can be whatever one wants it to be.

Idk where else to post but just wanna say I haven't had a sedative in 10 days so far. I don't have a prescription anymore, and I was scared of still wanting to take them but not having any left, so after forgetting to take them for one day, I just forced myself to stop taking them altogether. I was reducing myself to half a pill per day for a few days anyway.

I was mostly taking them so that I can sleep as I struggle with that lot. Now I drink a beer every night and that serves the same purpose.

I managed to go through 2 periods without taking them last year, 3 months and 2 months respectively. First time was during the quarantine in March-May, when I could just stay up all night and not worry about being able to get up next day, because I wasn't able to go out anyway and was also not working.

Idk where else to post but just wanna say I haven't had a sedative in 10 days so far. I don't have a prescription anymore, and I was scared of still wanting to take them but not having any left, so after forgetting to take them for one day, I just forced myself to stop taking them altogether. I was reducing myself to half a pill per day for a few days anyway.

I was mostly taking them so that I can sleep as I struggle with that lot. Now I drink a beer every night and that serves the same purpose.

I managed to go through 2 periods without taking them last year, 3 months and 2 months respectively. First time was during the quarantine in March-May, when I could just stay up all night and not worry about being able to get up next day, because I wasn't able to go out anyway and was also not working.
That's really good! Hope you continue to feel this well.

For myself, I'm glad to be back to work and have some real structure. It's benefitted everyone in the house. My dogs are already happy we're home all day, but I didn't take them out as much as I should. I'd just open the back door to the yard for them to sunbathe and do their thing, with the odd walk here and there. Now, between my first and second class I take them out every day and they love it. between my second and third class I wash dishes and the gf loves that and we do laundry throughout the day. When we had alll day to do things... Well, they just didn't get done, Netflix was too big of a temptation lol.

Back