Mental Health Thread

Do you fear death, dying, etc.?

• Yes

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • Trying my best to not think about it

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Never really thought about it and I'm unable to come up with an answer on a spot

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters
Good and days and bad. Hopefully you having more good than bad. Ive tried antidepressants before and they do 'stablise' you mood. I just didnt want to rely on them all the time
I do have more good days than bad, thank you. Sometimes I just struggle to shut down the old brain, getting needlessly worked up about minor things. Funnily, I’m reading Anders Hansen’s book on the effect that physical activity has on your brain, and there was a chapter about the same medication I’m taking. He states that regular running has the same effect on a person’s brain as antidepressants. It’s entirely logical, of course, exercise is the best remedy for mental troubles. It’s just surprising how I’ve had this book for years and am reading it now when it’s most relevant for me.

In my house, I am the news filter. My wife doesn’t watch the news but occasionally will have the TV on when it comes on. There are days when I tell her not to watch it due to the content. E.g. terrorist groups committing attacks on civilians, murders, crime, etc. She just struggles to cope with it. I am better at handling it (I think) However she saw the news report today about that poor wee boy who starved to death. That is a hard story to take. I have a two year old and it has hit me hard tonight. I just hugged her extra hard tonight.

I completely empathize with your situation. I've been the news filter in my household, too. It can be incredibly tough to witness all the distressing stories, especially when they involve innocent lives. That story about that little boy who starved to death hits particularly hard, especially with a toddler of your own.
I've found that in moments like these, hugging your child a little tighter can provide a sense of comfort and connection that words can't fully express.
Speaking of dealing with stress, I used to struggle with it a lot, but then I got myself a medical cannabis card UK. It's really helpful for my mental well-being, helping me find some peace amidst the chaos.

Last edited:
The last week has been an incredibly good one for me, mentally. I’ve been feeling really confident and sure of what I’m doing and who I am. Suddenly, this evening, the bane of my existence - loneliness - has caught up with me. Right now I’m sitting in my car at a gas station and all I can think of is how much I want to cry. Loneliness can just come and hit you in the face with a hammer and make you want to kill yourself, even if you’ve been doing exceptionally well otherwise. It makes me sad that there is no one I can reach out to and meet up to talk. No one whose company would actually do me some good.

The last week has been an incredibly good one for me, mentally. I’ve been feeling really confident and sure of what I’m doing and who I am. Suddenly, this evening, the bane of my existence - loneliness - has caught up with me. Right now I’m sitting in my car at a gas station and all I can think of is how much I want to cry. Loneliness can just come and hit you in the face with a hammer and make you want to kill yourself, even if you’ve been doing exceptionally well otherwise. It makes me sad that there is no one I can reach out to and meet up to talk. No one whose company would actually do me some good.

At least you got us, we may not physically be there and I'm aware it is not the same, but we're still here for you to get you through these rough patches. Chin up, you are NOT alone. Belonging, being/feeling wanted extends beyond physical proximity. Strong bonds know no bounds. There's a reason several members have been a part of this rag-tag community for 15+ years.

At least you got us, we may not physically be there and I'm aware it is not the same, but we're still here for you to get you through these rough patches. Chin up, you are NOT alone. Belonging, being/feeling wanted extends beyond physical proximity. Strong bonds know no bounds. There's a reason several members have been a part of this rag-tag community for 15+ years.
Thanks for the kind words but this community doesn’t feel like the home that it used to be anymore. I’m not just saying that in my current bout of depression, I’ve been thinking about it for a long time. I often feel like I’m getting kicked in the balls whenever I try to initiate a friendly conversation here. It doesn’t surprise me that many long-time members have left the forum. I still come here to chat about music and just joke around but the air on Maidenfans has grown more toxic in time, in my opinion.

Personally, I used to fear it a lot. But then, during a particularly rough patch, I stumbled upon a concept called "intermittent explosive disorder" while reading about mental health. Understanding it helped me see my own reactions in a different light. There was this one time I had a massive blow-up with a friend over something trivial, and it made me question why I reacted that way. Learning about IED gave me insights into managing my emotions better.

Last edited:
Things haven't been good lately.

For over two years I have been struggling with a disease that doctors do not want to diagnose. Sometimes, in random situations, I feel very dizzy. It starts with a feeling of swelling in my ear, then a buzzing noise, and suddenly I completely lose my balance and violently vomit. After about an hour of violent vomiting, everything goes away and for the next few days I feel as exhausted as if I had a bad flu. During these attacks, I also have bouts of mood swings - I can yell at my son because he opened the door louder, and 3 minutes later I almost cry because my wife gave me lukewarm tea. Sometimes I lose my balance when shopping or when I'm out on the town.

The attacks are so traumatic for me that I almost stopped leaving the house. I switched to 100% remote work and a slight dizziness is enough to make me afraid to take out the trash.

I went to 10 otolaryngologists and had an MRI - they found nothing. The only test that yielded any abnormal results was audiometry, which revealed a hearing loss in the ear that buzzes during seizures, and during the same test, such a seizure was induced. The doctor still didn't want to make a diagnosis.

I know that with the problems that are in the world and that each of us is going through, it may not be much, but I wanted to share how I feel.

Things haven't been good lately.

For over two years I have been struggling with a disease that doctors do not want to diagnose. Sometimes, in random situations, I feel very dizzy. It starts with a feeling of swelling in my ear, then a buzzing noise, and suddenly I completely lose my balance and violently vomit. After about an hour of violent vomiting, everything goes away and for the next few days I feel as exhausted as if I had a bad flu. During these attacks, I also have bouts of mood swings - I can yell at my son because he opened the door louder, and 3 minutes later I almost cry because my wife gave me lukewarm tea. Sometimes I lose my balance when shopping or when I'm out on the town.

The attacks are so traumatic for me that I almost stopped leaving the house. I switched to 100% remote work and a slight dizziness is enough to make me afraid to take out the trash.

I went to 10 otolaryngologists and had an MRI - they found nothing. The only test that yielded any abnormal results was audiometry, which revealed a hearing loss in the ear that buzzes during seizures, and during the same test, such a seizure was induced. The doctor still didn't want to make a diagnosis.

I know that with the problems that are in the world and that each of us is going through, it may not be much, but I wanted to share how I feel.
Sorry to hear that. I hope you well get soon and that issue is temporary.
I remember I was very sick 10 years or so with unexplainable disease or something whatever happened to me. I went to the Hospital 2 times, After blood test and other kind of tests they said me that I had nothing at all and the treatment was paracetamol. I was dizzy and so weak that I couldn't wake up from the bed and walk, I couldn't drive nor eat properly. At the same time I was very worried for the lack of diagnose. After one month and a half I was recovered but then it was unexplainable and I thought it could have been of longtime stress or something related.

We're certainly all hoping you get well soon @Meliegree! That's terrible news when there's no idea what's going on. Hopefully they figure it out, or it passes on its own.

Back