Maiden's plan: re-record the first 2 albums with Bruce in 1988 (Seventh Son era)

Kalata

Out of the Silent Planet
What was the story behind that ? Probably the whole thing was scrapped when Adrian left.

At least we have some songs - Prowler '88, Charlotte The Harlot '88, Wrathchild '99 and Bruce's Audition Tapes from 1981: Killers, Wrathchild and Twilight Zone.

We know that Steve was not happy with the production of the debut album, so that's why songs from this album were re-recorded.

Last edited:
Prowler and Charlotte are both on the debut, so you can leave Killers out of it ;) I don't think it ever went as far as them wanting to re-record the entire debut album. I suppose Steve thought the band were firing on all cylinders at the time and because he was never really happy with the production of the first album, he wanted that particular era/time of the band to have a go at some of the early songs he never felt truly satisfied about.

I only know that these 2 songs were recorded as a B sides in The evil that men do Maxi-single. It was because Steve wanted to try to re-record these songs with Bruce but avobe all under other producer (Martin Birch) because he hated the Will Malone production in the 1st album.

Remember tomorrow had already been released with Bruce. Sanctuary, Running Free, Phantom of the Opera and Iron Maiden were on Live After Death. Transylvania didn't need recording with Bruce and hardly anyone seems to remember Strange World exists. Hence Prowler and Charlotte the Harlot

The re-recorded versions are quite poor. 'Prowler' was always a great song as it was and 'Charlotte the Harlot' was always a poor song regardless of the singer. Bruce sounds quite disinterested on those songs, but maybe I'm projecting my own apathy towards those versions onto his vocals.

The re-recorded versions are quite poor. 'Prowler' was always a great song as it was and 'Charlotte the Harlot' was always a poor song regardless of the singer. Bruce sounds quite disinterested on those songs, but maybe I'm projecting my own apathy towards those versions onto his vocals.
I agree with you

I like the re-recorded versions personally. It’s neat hearing them with the SSOASS vibe and they’re better performances than the originals. But that’s probably just the Bruce bias speaking.

There was no plan to re-record with Bruce, Harris wanted to have properly produced official versions of songs from the debut album, live or otherwise.
In 1988, only two left were Prowler and CTH.

I like original Charlotte mainly for the calm section, Di'Anno does it justice, Dickinson doesn't.

Strange World and Transylvania weren't available at that time either, at least publically in the case of Strange World.

I've never heard any suggestion that Harris wanted to re-record anything from Killers. His issue is with the production of the first album, not with Paul.

Yes when you mention it Transylvania was available on VHS only and Strange World was pro recorded at Nagoya show but never officially released. But I'm pretty much certain I'm quoting Harris when saying CTH and Prowler were the only ones left without an alternate production.

It’s neat hearing them with the SSOASS vibe
Re-recorded ones are way better than the originals. Prowler and Charlotte, that is.
I beg to differ: for this very reason, the atmosphere of these re-recordings is just wrong. In terms of "sonic landscapes", "Prowler" and "Charlotte The Harlot" have got a very urban feel (and the album cover just underwrites this feeling - as well as level 1 of Ed Hunter or the sweaty atmosphere of "Live At The Ruskin Arms" on the Early Days DVD) while the whole SSOASS mostly evokes a kind of comfortable fantasy.
These re-recordings are no weirder and out of place than having "Burning Ambition" reprised in the middle of AMOLAD in my opinion (and here, I'm only exaggerating a little ;) )

Last edited:
The '88 versions are garbo.

3900.jpg

It was true after all...

Nicko in Listen With Nicko! Part IX:

"Actually, Steve and I were actually discussing a few months back about all these old songs... the old stuff that we've re-recorded, about doing maybe in the future, keeping it the same format so basically the end of the day we might actually have the whole back issue of all the stuff with this sort of Maiden re-recorded, all the old stuff that we weren't on... myself, Bruce, and H. So there you go, you never know."

7:44-8:10
in the video below.

So, it was not only the first 2 albums (TNOTB too, since Nicko was not in the band yet) and it was not during the Seventh Son era (rather in the future), but I really want to hear these re-recorded songs, mostly with the lineup from 1988. Probably (because of the Adrian's departure) the whole idea was never fulfilled.

keeping it the same format so basically

I wouldn't call it true, if the topic's name suggests 'a plan'.

There are many problems with taking that statement as a plan. "Keeping it the same format" would require extra sessions after SSoASS recording. We do not have any indication of that happening. Although it is possible they did multiple tracks and then picked Prowler and CTH, I still believe main reason was to have complete rendition of IM1 tracks outside of the album, in the band's vault.

Back