MaidenFans Rankings

Diesel 11

As you scream into the web of silence...
I suppose that's the best way to call them. This thread is intended to keep track of the Ranking threads we've done / are doing. So far, they seem to work nicely as Survivor companions. Also, any new ones people wish to do in future can be discussed here as well.

The following is a list of them.

Ongoing:
Best Eddie
, hosted by LooseCannon (list)
BLAZE: The Rankings, hosted by Diesel 11 (list)

Completed:
The Official MaidenFans IM Rankings, curated by LooseCannon (vote here)
Non Album Maiden Songs Ranked, hosted by Diesel 11 (list)
Bruce's Solo Discography Ranked, hosted by Diesel 11 (list)
Adrian's Solo Discography Ranked, hosted by Jer (list)

So yeah. I'm also considering doing one of these for Maiden's live releases in future, as a side note.

Last edited:
I was considering a new one after the Blaze countdown ends: 1988 Smackdown!

Many of the biggest names in metal put out highly regarded albums that year, so my idea was to pick 5-8 albums and throw all their songs up for ranking so we could settle once and for all which album was the best that year.

Obvious choices:
  • Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
  • Metallica - ...And Justice For All
  • Megadeth - So Far, So Good...So What!
  • Queensrÿche - Operation: Mindcrime
Other possibilities:
  • Judas Priest - Ram It Down
  • Anthrax - State Of Euphoria
  • Helloween- Keeper Of The Seven Keys, Part II
  • Testament - The New Order
Any other albums that should be considered? Any thoughts on which albums beyond the first group should be included? Would people even be interested in this sort of ranking event?

That sounds like fun, personally. A few more that could make the cut:
  • Slayer - South of Heaven
  • Bathory - Blood Fire Death
  • King Diamond - Them
  • Danzig - Danzig
  • Carcass - Reek of Putrefaction
  • Death - Leprosy
My one concern is that this would be too similar to Mosh's Metal Essentials game, and we may end up at '88 eventually if it sticks around. Besides that, I'm in.

Smth like that can be done with 1986 too. SIT, Master of Puppets, Peace Sells... but Who's Buying?, Reign in Blood...
You can also add Turbo, Seventh Star, Epicus Doomicus Metallicus, Fight for the Rock or stuff like 5150, Orgasmatron, Constrictor and Who Made Who.

And on the flipside of that, we could do a year like 1998. The Chemical Wedding, The Sound of Perseverance, Nightfall In Middle-Earth, My Arms Your Hearse....

I mean, the Metal Essentials game is really just that. I’d rather do this with a one-off year to start with.

I just picked 1988 because when I was doing the Favorite Album From Each Year post it was one of the harder ones to decide, and it was a big confluence of albums from all the top thrash bands and the two top NWOBHM bands and a couple of very highly regarded metal concept albums, so I thought it would be interesting.

I agree that 1986 and 1998 would also be interesting, but I think the results there would be a little easier to predict.

OK, I’m thinking that the fairest way to handle this is to choose the big 2 British melodic metal bands, the big 4 thrash bands, the progenitors of power metal, and the creators of one of the all-time classic metal concept albums. Any more albums would be too many. That leaves us with:
  • Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
  • Judas Priest - Ram It Down
  • Metallica - ...And Justice For All
  • Megadeth - So Far, So Good...So What!
  • Slayer - South Of Heaven
  • Anthrax - State Of Euphoria
  • Helloween - Keeper Of The Seven Keys, Part II
  • Queensrÿche - Operation: Mindcrime
Now the big question is what to do with the small connecting tracks on some of these albums. In other ranking threads these have been a source of jokes and annoyance (see “The Truth Revealed” in the Blaze thread), and I’m not sure it’s fair for “I Remember Now” or “Waiting For 22” or “13” to count as a full track in determining the winning album.

I was thinking of merging some of these together for the rating exercise (e.g. “I Remember Now”, “Anarchy-X”, and “Revolution Calling” rated as one entity) — does that seem reasonable, or should we keep them separate?

Merging the tracks seems reasonable. Also, the focus is more on heavy metal and not metal as a whole, I take it? Because if the latter then not including Leprosy is more blasphemic than Life of Brian.

Merging the tracks seems reasonable. Also, the focus is more on heavy metal and not metal as a whole, I take it? Because if the latter then not including Leprosy is more blasphemic than Life of Brian.
Trying to rank death against non-death is pointless IMO, because the talents are different and there are a lot of people who would rank the death tracks way lower than the non-death ones just because of the vocals (myself included).

Back