Maidenfans forums and IE 8 don't match / solution topic

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Do some of you use IE8 and/or are you aware that (at least at this moment) this forum might not be suited that well for this browser?

I have IE8 since yesterday evening and since then have experienced difficulties with scrolling in longer posts. I noticed it when I tried to scroll in a text after I copied/pasted it from elsewhere - in posting/editing mode. Also when I try to edit a longer post it happens.

When I go down, at some point my cursor jumps up some alineas again. It's impossible to select something.
Quite irritating I can assure you! :)

The only way to post or edit plus scroll longer texts is possible in this manner:
First I have to add all the tags in Word. After that I have to copy/paste this text as a whole to this forum.

I tried this on another forum and there I had no problems.

Re: Internet Explorer 8 and Maidenfans forums

I know, everyone has its favourite browser. And perhaps I have to do that when I encounter stuff like this. :)

But shouldn't an international forum of this size be perfectly accessible with all the major browsers?

edit: Of course it's possible that this problem occurs because I am not aware of all the functions of IE8.
Maybe I have to use this forum in a different "mode" or something?

That's why I wonder if someone else uses IE8 and knows how to handle longer posts.

Forostar said:
But shouldn't an international forum of this size be pefectly accessible with all the major browsers?
I agree there. I think I have IE8 on my Windows partition on my laptop (I don't use that side of it that much), I'll see if I get the same issue but it might not be today.

In the meantime, I'm sure John (I believe he is called) will see this and look into it.

I'm fairly sure that IE8 is a beta version, not 100% though. We're having issues with compatibility with our site in work, but there should be a button beside Refresh and the address bar that looks like a page being torn in two. It's called 'Compatibility View' and lets you look at the pages in IE7 view, which works for our customers on the PayPal site, not sure about Maidenfans though.

This site is W3 compliant.  IE8 is not a W3 compliant browser.

LooseCannon said:
This site is W3 compliant.  IE8 is not a W3 compliant browser.

And that is why IE sucks

Forostar said:
I know, everyone has its favourite browser...

There's favorite and then there's competent :p

LooseCannon said:
I can't come up with a single reason to ever use IE, other than for webpages that demand it.....
That's why I have IE-TAB. ;)

Seriously, no webpage should demand IE and it bugs me that there are so many that do. Considering how popular FireFox is (and Google Chrome), these webmasters that only test their sites in IE should be shot.

@Hunlord: From what I gather, IE8 is no longer in Beta mode. It came down on my laptop as a regular Microsoft update.

Albie said:
Seriously, no webpage should demand IE and it bugs me that there are so many that do. Considering how popular FireFox is (and Google Chrome), these webmasters that only test their sites in IE should be shot.

:(
Go tell it to the IT guys in my work. They are the administrators and only IE is installed in our PCs there.
And since IE-8 in order to can post from my job's laptop, I have to write the text in a word document and then
copy /paste it here

Quetzalcoatlus said:
:(
Go tell it to the IT guys in my work. They are the administrators and only IE is installed in our PCs there.
And since IE-8 in order to can post from my job's laptop, I have to write the text in a word document and then
copy /paste it here
It's an opportunity to check grammar and spelling of your posts within a good, efficient and cheap word processor; Thanks Bill. :innocent:

No problem mate, anytime. "Portable" programs in general don't require installation, that's why they're portable...you can copy them on your USB flash drive and run them on any computer.

So when your security policy blocks you from installing something, try to find portable version.

Re: Maidenfans forums and Internet Explorer 8 don't match

yeah, it's an incredible tip, I had a serious problem to make bigger posts than 13 lines with IE /job's laptop.

Re: Maidenfans forums and Internet Explorer 8 don't match

Same here. It has been frustrating for a long while. Now I also have Firefox. It is a bit slower, but at least I won't have the f**king typing/editing/scrolling/selecting problem.   :ok:

Back