Maidenfans Album Club: Purest of Pain - Solipsis

So far it's really interesting to see what people consider big-name 80s metal.
Indeed. So, I'll mention a couple bigger-name 80s metal albums and leave it to LooseCannon to figure out whether he wants to include them. Some may already have been discussed to death on this forum, so totally get it if they are left off.

Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell and/or Mob Rules
Dio - Holy Diver and/or Last In Line
Slayer - Reign In Blood (actually would look forward to that discussion, as I never really understood what all the fuss is about)
Metallica - Ride the Lightning and/or Master of Puppets (I completely understand what all the fuss is about with these)
Def Leppard - Pyromania
AC/DC - Back In Black and/or For Those About To Rock

I also second the nomination of Shout at the Devil. I cannot adequately articulate just how big a deal that record and Pyromania were when they came out, at least in my junior high school in rural Kansas.

Thanks for participating in the first album for the Maidenfans Album Club. The random number has selected the following album:

Destinysaxon.jpg

Thanks to Kalata for the nomination!

Saxon - Destiny
Released: 1988
Runtime: 44:00
Band members: Biff Byford (vocals), Graham Oliver (guitar), Paul Quinn (guitar), Paul Johnson (bass guitar), Nigel Durham (drums)

Saxon was one of the bigger NWOBHM bands originally, but has faded over time in public memory, while still putting out a few interesting albums. This one featured Johnson & Durham for their only Saxon album. As you listen to this, I want you to think about the following question:

Where does Saxon belong as a band, compared to the greats of their era? Are they a forgotten gem or is their reduced place in history correct?

Next theme: Heavy metal in the 1990s. I'll nominate Nightfall Over Middle-Earth by Blind Guardian.

Next theme: Heavy metal in the 1990s. I'll nominate Nightfall Over Middle-Earth by Blind Guardian.
Nominating the obvious to get it out of the way: Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding.

Will give the Saxon album a listen soon.

Thanks for participating in the first album for the Maidenfans Album Club. The random number has selected the following album:

Destinysaxon.jpg

Thanks to Kalata for the nomination!

Saxon - Destiny
Released: 1988
Runtime: 44:00
Band members: Biff Byford (vocals), Graham Oliver (guitar), Paul Quinn (guitar), Paul Johnson (bass guitar), Nigel Durham (drums)

:yey:.... :D

Finally I've won something from lottery
Next theme: Heavy metal in the 1990s.

I'll nominate: Judas Priest - Painkiller

Last edited:
Where does Saxon belong as a band, compared to the greats of their era? Are they a forgotten gem or is their reduced place in history correct?

I think they are forgotten gem. Still going strong after 40 years and released some great albums (and continues to release good albums with a traditional heavy metal style). After the mid 90's they went on for a more heavy sound which is a complete turnaround from their early stuff, but still manage to release quality music. They even went for a glam metal approach during 1985-1988.... and this album Destiny is huge influenced by the big glam metal scene, which was at their peak during the mid 80's.

To sum it up, they are behind bands such as Maiden and Priest, but they are right after them along with Accept.

Yeah, I'll also relisten this album and I will review it.
About the question: I think Saxon has been into the best 5 big uk rock/metal bands in the eighties: Maiden, Priest, Leppard, Motorhead and Saxon. But I think tehy didn't jump to the US Market as the others and they've stucked in UK and Europe. They have been releasing albums constantly with more or less sucess but they have been loyal to their sound and metal obviously and for that the've got all my respect. I have to recognise that their best albums were in the beginings.

Back