Maiden Symphony

saturnmaiden

Trooper
Wouldn't it be great to see the band play a great show with a symphonic orchestra like metallica and kiss before. [!--emo&:nana:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lambada.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lambada.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
And i think there's a lot of maiden's songs wich can be played with an orchestra, like blood brothers, dance of death and paschendal on the new singles.
But they are a lot of other songs like the clansman, sign of the cross, fear of the dark, mother russia, powerslave, 7th son of a 7th son, alexander the great, virus, the number of the beast, hallowed be thy name....
the list is too long to be describe entirely, but it could be changed to the other live albums [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

It greatly depends on the symphonic arrangement. I thought Metallica's symphony album was a great idea on paper, but I was very disappointed with Michael Kamen's orchestration - I thought he followed the guitar parts too closely instead of adding new elements and sounds to the music. I haven't heard the Kiss symphony, no do I want to; I'm a big fan of old Kiss, but nothing they've done since Love Gun has impressed me.

In my opinion, some songs that could be done well with an orchestra are:
Hallowed Be Thy Name
To Tame A Land
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
Afraid To Shoot Strangers
Sign Of The Cross
Brave New World
Dance Of Death
Paschendale
Journeyman

Less promising, but possible:
Revelations
2 Minutes To Midnight
Powerslave
Alexander The Great
Infinite Dreams
The Clansman
The Nomad

Songs I'd avoid if I were the arranger:
Phantom Of The Opera
The Trooper
Aces High
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
Fear Of The Dark

Just my opinion of course, based on my three years experience of actually playing in a symphony orchestra.

If you take a look, this songs are the best of the maiden's discography. [!--emo&:rock:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/headbang.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'headbang.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I'm a big fan of old Kiss, but nothing they've done since Love Gun has impressed me.
[/quote]

You must take a look to Alive IV if you'rs a Kiss fan of their first decade. They play the major part of destroyer their first albums. [!--emo&:nana:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lambada.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lambada.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

All right, I'll check it out. I remember hearing good things about it elsewhere too.

Actually I may have been a bit harsh on Kiss. They have done some good stuff since Love Gun, but they started to repeat themselves too much (for the same reason, I don't like much AC/DC music after For Those About To Rock). I think Alive IV is the only Kiss album I haven't heard, so I'll go ahead and buy it - I may as well have the complete collection of all 4 Alive albums.

At one time, I had over 500 vinyl albums. In 2001, I sold almost all of them. However, I kept about two dozen which I really treasure. Obviously the Maiden albums are in that 2 dozen, but so are Alive and Alive II. I'd even go as far as saying Alive is the 2nd-greatest live album ever after Live After Death.

[!--QuoteBegin-mercury+Jun 11 2004, 02:19 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(mercury @ Jun 11 2004, 02:19 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] dance of death would be great but. Its a little rip off on KISS and Metallica [/quote]
Before Metallica and Kiss even thought about doing that sort of album symphonic/epic metal was already around in Europe in bands like Therion and Rhapsody (and countless others). So I'm glad american bands decided to jump in but I agree with SMX that Metallica's was OK, just a few songs were really cool with the orchestration but that's it. Has anybody heard "The string tribute to Iron Maiden"? I'm really curious I have Tool's and it was cool. Hehe that rhymed. Anyway.... [!--emo&B)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cool.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Ooooooh Yeeeahhh the sunglasses are back!

Tool have one?? [!--emo&:huh:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'huh.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Wow! I do like Tool.

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Jun 15 2004, 03:21 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Jun 15 2004, 03:21 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Before Metallica and Kiss even thought about doing that sort of album symphonic/epic metal was already around in Europe... [/quote]
Actually, the first symphony + metal record is Deep Purple's Concerto For Group And Orchestra from the early 1970s (I think it was 1971, but I'm too lazy to look it up right now).

Really? wow, I learned two things today... ok three LOL. One that Deep Purple isn't British, two that they are Metal and not Rock ( I know it's a fine line and they are technically Father's of Metal like Sabbath and Zepplin) and that they made an album like that. [!--emo&B)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cool.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Ooooh Yeaaah

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+Jun 16 2004, 02:21 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Jun 16 2004, 02:21 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Actually, the first symphony + metal record is Deep Purple's Concerto For Group And Orchestra from the early 1970s (I think it was 1971, but I'm too lazy to look it up right now). [/quote]
It was in 1969

hehe you said " '69" hehe [!--emo&B)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cool.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ooooooooooh yeeeah

[!--QuoteBegin-saturnmaiden+Jun 10 2004, 09:31 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(saturnmaiden @ Jun 10 2004, 09:31 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] Wouldn't it be great to see the band play a great show with a symphonic orchestra like metallica and kiss before. [/quote]
I think it would be a rip off. It would be nearly as bad, as to release a new best of album. I think that those orchestral things could ruin the songs. It would be very bad thing in my opinion.

Back