Maiden songs that has been leftovers from the previous album for the following one

Kalata

Out of the Silent Planet
I have a theory/feeling about that. Some songs sounds like they were leftovers from the previous album for the next one - they have the same vibe and parts in them that resembles a certain album. I'll list my opinion:

The Great Unknown/The Man of Sorrows - leftovers from TFF album.
Mother of Mercy - leftover from AMOLAD album.
Lord of Light - leftover from DOD album.
Rainmaker - leftover from BNW album.

The Mercenary - leftover from VXI album.
Como Estais Amigos/Lightning Strike Twice - leftovers from TXF album.
Lord of the Flies/The Edge Of Darkness - leftover from FOTD album.
The Fugitive - leftover from NPFTD album.

Fates Warning - leftover from SSOASS album.
Infinite Dreams - leftover from SIT album.
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner - leftover from Powerslave album.
Flash of the Blade - leftover from POM album.
Quest For Fire/Die With Your Boots On - leftovers from TNOTB album.
Invaders - leftover from Killers album.
Wrathchild - leftover from IM album.
[----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------]
Burning Ambition - for the first Maiden album. :p

Well, I tried to list for all albums, but for some of them I have a feeling that the specific song was a leftover. What is your opinion on this ?

Last edited:
I think it's very rare that Maiden have full or close to full tracks left over, the few tracks from the VXI sessions that made it on to BNW seem to be an exception.

Although, i think maybe some abandoned ideas may be reinvigorated on future albums.

I think I read somewhere that Run Silent Run Deep was resurrected from one of Bruce's SIT ideas (as was Tears of the Dragon).

All songs from Killers, apart from the title track, "Murders of the Rue Morgue" and" Prodigal Son" are leftovers from the early years and the debut, I think.

Well, this wasn't my original plan for the thread (my idea was, songs that you think/have feeling that were leftovers from a previous album for the next one), but that is also interesting. :)
I think it's very rare that Maiden have full or close to full tracks left over, the few tracks from the VXI sessions that made it on to BNW seem to be an exception.

Although, i think maybe some abandoned ideas may be reinvigorated on future albums.

I think I read somewhere that Run Silent Run Deep was resurrected from one of Bruce's SIT ideas (as was Tears of the Dragon).

Yeah, we don not have enough information about if Maiden have a lot of songs left from the writing sessions of a album.

I also think I read about Run Silent Run Deep, but maybe it were the lyrics that Bruce resurrected from SIT era.
I think Janick had the idea for TBOS back in 2008/09.

That is interesting. Do you have a source ?
All songs from Killers, apart from the title track, "Murders of the Rue Morgue" and" Prodigal Son" are leftovers from the early years and the debut, I think.

I think that is true.

That killers/ debut album situation always has interested me. I personally like killers and it’s material much better than the first album. Like, track for track I prefer almost every song from killers. Did the band progress that much in between the two? In my ears, the killers’ songs seem crisper, cleaner and perfected when compared to IM. In my opinion.
The thought of killers, purgatory Murders ITRM, wrathchild etc. being leftovers, not “making the cut” on the 1st album? is just insane. Side note: as mentioned, Mother of Mercy absolutely could have been on AMOLAD. It sure feels like a leftover...

Totally agree with you about the strength of Killers songs, but don't forget that a) Killers and Murders (and Genghis Khan) were not written yet when the debut was recorded, b) Wrathchild was only freshly released on Metal For Muthas in 1979, just a few months before, c) "crisper, cleaner and perfected" has a lot to do with Martin Birch - and H's - involvement. They had to choose just 6 songs for the debut from the old material (Running Free and Remember Tomorrow being Paul's fresh contributions) so obviously anything that didn't get there is "leftovers" in a sense. Thing is, they had already accumulated material for an album and a half so something had to be left for the next one anyway.

Side note: as mentioned, Mother of Mercy absolutely could have been on AMOLAD. It sure feels like a leftover...
Better still, it could have been an efficient summary of AMOLAD and therefore replace it... hadn't it been for its poor chorus.

Totally agree with you about the strength of Killers songs, but don't forget that a) Killers and Murders (and Genghis Khan) were not written yet when the debut was recorded, b) Wrathchild was only freshly released on Metal For Muthas in 1979, just a few months before, c) "crisper, cleaner and perfected" has a lot to do with Martin Birch - and H's - involvement. They had to choose just 6 songs for the debut from the old material (Running Free and Remember Tomorrow being Paul's fresh contributions) so obviously anything that didn't get there is "leftovers" in a sense. Thing is, they had already accumulated material for an album and a half so something had to be left for the next one anyway.
It could be interesting to see if the drum work on Killers "leftovers" is at stake. Clive Burr being somewhat new when the debut was recorded, it might have had an influence, i.e him not being ready to make the said "leftovers" fall into place sufficiently well with Steve.

Bah. "Mother of Mercy" should stay as far away from A Matter of Life and Death as possible.

There's a moment in "Mother Russia" that sounds very Seventh Son-esque, but I'm curious as to whether it was a leftover idea or Steve actually was out of ideas so he just rehashed stuff from that album.

Como Estais Amigos/Lightning Strike Twice - leftovers from TXF album.

I doubt this, since Blaze wrote the lyrics during The X-Factour and I believe the music itself wasn't ready during The X-Factor recording either.

But yes, it's rather intriguing speculation how some songs and/or song ideas might have been floating around earlier and not been recorded until next sessions. :)

I don't think Mother of Mercy sounds like a AMOLAD song. It sounds like the band trying to write a AMOLAD song for The Final Frontier.

Reactions: Jer
There's a moment in "Mother Russia" that sounds very Seventh Son-esque, but I'm curious as to whether it was a leftover idea or Steve actually was out of ideas so he just rehashed stuff from that album.
Almost certainly the latter, because "Fates Warning" borrows from "The Clairvoyant" on the chorus, too.

This one, a couple of songs from Brave new world, and I think a few on Fear of the dark comes from Tattooed millionaire, like Weekend warrior (parts of the song) and Wasting love

I doubt this, since Blaze wrote the lyrics during The X-Factour and I believe the music itself wasn't ready during The X-Factor recording either.

That was just my feeling about the particular songs. I tried to list for all albums and that was not easy. :)
....but don't forget that a) Killers and Murders (and Genghis Khan) were not written yet when the debut was recorded,

The title track was performed on Live at Rainbow 1980 with different lyrics, so it was not a entirely new song. I think MITRM and Prodigal Son were the only new songs written for Killers album. About Genghis Khan, I have no idea !

Last edited:
Back