Maiden signed merchandise rights to EMI

Ranko

I'll shoot the gunner first!
Copy-paste from the news section:

According to This Is Money, British heavy metal legends Iron Maiden were one of the first EMI artists to sign multiple rights contracts, allowing the music giant to profit from all aspects of their careers, from CDs to T-shirt sales.

Traditionally, music companies sign artists to recorded music contracts and they may also sign music publishing deals that entitle them to payment whenever the music is used. However, EMI's new owner, financier Guy Hands, is understood to be planning to boost the number of multiple rights deals — sometimes called 360-degree deals. These mean the company will also take a share of tour and merchandising revenues.

This type of deal is particularly suitable to artists such as Iron Maiden who get limited radio airplay but are hugely popular touring artists with strong record sales.

How is it more suitable to let EMI take more money from them? What does the band gain here? I'm not gonna shed any tears either way, but I'm curious. :D

Without a 360 Degree Deal, each tour/merchandise gets negotiated separately.  An all-encompassing deal like this means that the tour money is already decided, who will split, etc.  Basically, it saves them time negotiating and likely gives them a better deal over time.

I wonder if this means that maiden concert tickets will be lot more expensive in the future? I mean with a sudden change in price range.  :S

Onhell said:
Why would they be?

If EMI are planning upcoming tours also? It says - allowing the music giant to profit from all aspects of their careers, from CDs to T-shirt sales.

Hasse78 said:
If EMI are planning upcoming tours also? It says - allowing the music giant to profit from all aspects of their careers, from CDs to T-shirt sales.

Record companies already profit from such things as record sales and concerts, why would the tickets go up in price? Just to fuck the fans?

If you go to the main article (located here), the writer has stated:

One of the first to sign up was heavy metal group Iron Maiden, who joined EMI last week.

Seriously, if he is going to make such statements, at least get the facts right.

Onhell said:
Record companies already profit from such things as record sales and concerts, why would the tickets go up in price? Just to fuck the fans?

I would say it's the promotor of the gigs that make money on touring (+band of course). Not the recordcompany. Atleast that´s how it's been done before. ... And I guess that's what the record company want to change.

Albie said:
If you go to the main article (located here), the writer has stated:

One of the first to sign up was heavy metal group Iron Maiden, who joined EMI last week.

Seriously, if he is going to make such statements, at least get the facts right.

That would make sense because the following is true.  Music companies are still making plenty of money, but so much less since the age of song downloading. 

"Music companies have been trying for some time to find other sources of revenue from their roster of artists as album sales fall in the face of the growth of online music."

I also hope this means that Iron Maiden will stick around for longer than one album.  Their music is in a state of rennaissance. 

Genghis Khan said:
I also hope this means that Iron Maiden will stick around for longer than one album.  Their music is in a state of rennaissance. 

What? Hardly...

Genghis Khan said:
I hope long contract does not mean extra, extra, extra Edward the Great releases for the next decade.

I know that, new material would be great, but I think it's highly debatable whether their music is at a "renaissance."

Onhell said:
I know that, new material would be great, but I think it's highly debatable whether their music is at a "renaissance."

I've read you opinions on everything since Brave New World, but I would VERY MUCH DISAGREE with you.  ;)

Onhell said:

Sorry, buddy.  On this forum, at least, your opinion is in the minority.

LooseCannon said:
Without a 360 Degree Deal, each tour/merchandise gets negotiated separately.  An all-encompassing deal like this means that the tour money is already decided, who will split, etc.  Basically, it saves them time negotiating and likely gives them a better deal over time.
This is correct.  The band would do it because it would reduce their transaction costs and would likely ensure them a fixed royalty from tour proceeds, merchandising, etc.  They would probably get a lower percentage than they otherwise would have received if the gig was very successful, but would get a higher percentage than they would have received if the gig didn't do as well financially.  For its part, EMI should be able to use its clout to negotiate better deals with promoters, venues and merchandisers than the band could, and pocket the savings as profit.  This also may be related to (if I recall correctly) the band's decision to stop using Sanctuary; EMI would be doing what Sanctuary did. 

Except, for a band like Maiden, there is so little chance of a tour, album, or promotion failing, that the band was likely able to secure quite a profitable rate for themselves.  I expect on the back end they have to support so many up-and-coming EMI acts.

I think there may have been a number of gigs on the last tour that didn't do well.  I seem to recall that, according to the online tour diaries, the Long Island show was a disappointment on several levels, including poor attendance. 

Right, but Maiden makes their money in Europe and South America.  One or two USA gigs likely wouldn't surprise them if they didn't sell out.  I'd say 90% of the time they can guarantee a sellout.

My only concern with this deal is whether the quality of the products will suffer. We all know how big businesses like to cut corners. It'll be a shame if any future batches of merchandise are printed poorly, or in the case of T-Shirts, printed on inferior material that fall apart after the 1st washing.

Maiden was always working with EMI in the States if memory serves.  And before Sanctuary went to shit, I believe they had a similar deal with Sanctuary.

Back