Maiden Japan

A

Anonymous

You are probably all aware that "Maiden Japan" is most likely a pun on the phrase "Made In Japan".
I was wondering if this title could be a particular reference/pun on Deep Purple's legendary "Made In Japan" live album of 1972. After all, Purple had an incredible influence on Maiden, and metal in genereal.
At the time "Maiden Japan" was released, Deep Purple were no longer a reality. From the classic MkII lineup, Ritchie Blackmore and Roger Glover were with Rainbow, whom Maiden occasionally opened for (at least on the Beast On The Road tour), and Ian Gillan was with Gillan (Janick joined the band about the same time as "Maiden Japan" was released).
David Coverdale, Gillans successor, was now with Whitesnake, another band Maiden opened for.
Purple had disbanded in 1976 and would reform in the MkII lineup in 1984. "Maiden Japan" was released in September 1981.
No doubt Maiden were aware of "Made In Japan". Many consider it to be the best live album ever released (it truly is a great one).
There is a recording from the Di'Anno era of Maiden covering "We Will Rock You" (Queen) and "Smoke On The Water" (Deep Purple) in a medley. Although there is no reference, I think it is likely that it comes from the Killers World Tour, the same one "Maiden Japan" was recorded on.

Just a thought (and sorry for the lack of structure in my post).

In a french mag (Hard'n Heavy HS #2 - 1998), Dave Murray said that Made in Japan is the album he has listen the most !

Another link between Maiden and Deep Purple is the producer : Martin Birch, who also has engineered Deep Purple albums (and of course Made in Japan )
In '81, he was the new Maiden producer and the title Maiden Japan is probably a nod in his direction.

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]In a french mag (Hard'n Heavy HS #2 - 1998), Dave Murray said that Made in Japan is the album he has listen the most ![/quote]

That's interesting, thanks Lib!

[!--QuoteBegin-Perun+Jun 25 2004, 12:18 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Jun 25 2004, 12:18 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] That's interesting, thanks Lib! [/quote]
[!--emo&:chug:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/beerchug.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'beerchug.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

In the same interview (in fact, it's a questionnaire about the albums they like), he also says that Made in japan is the album of the 70's he recommend.

This questionnaire is very interesting and i have learnt lot of things about musical tastes and influence of the band members. (Dave, Steve, Nicko and Blaze)

Next week, I will transcribe it on the french forum (sorry [!--emo&B)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cool.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ), I think many people can be interested by it.

[!--QuoteBegin-Lib+Jun 25 2004, 12:51 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Lib @ Jun 25 2004, 12:51 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--] I will transcribe it on the french forum [/quote]
[a href=\'http://forum.maidenfans.com/index.php?showtopic=5092\' target=\'_blank\']It's here[/a] ! [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back