Maiden in Ostrava, 6/6/2007

Belenor

Trooper
Well, if anyone interested, I've been there. The gig in Ostrava in the Czech Republic was planned to begin at 18:00 and started at 19:00 approximately, but that was probably ok because the czechoslovak IM site reads that the starting time was later updated to 19:15. The audience mainly consisted of people from the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Poland, nobody was sure how many people was there. Newspapers said 25000, Bruce said 13 or 30, I'm not sure which of these he said. I guess 13 could be correct, the sadium does not look to take 30, but I could be wrong. It was funny that nobody was able to find the entrance to the front of the stage easily, even the citizens of Ostrava were not sure and had to ask. When we passed the first gate, there was another one right down at the floor of the stadium. Guys from the security were unable to handle the rush of the audience and were almost trampled out by the first wave :)

The first band on the stage was a czech band named Gate Crasher (http://www.gatecrasher.cz/ but czech language only if I see it right, well, some photos of the band on the stage here: http://www.gatecrasher.cz/fotky.php?folder=95 ). My colleague SirPesZ thinks they sounded like Nirvana, I would rather say Green Day, but that does not matter. I do not know them well but it was quite listenable so no problem with them :) They have played some 30 minutes long set. Maybe 45.

Then Lauren Harris with her band came on the stage. Again, quite listenable. Their interaction with the audience was noticeably better than that of the Gate Crasher which was pleasing. Lauren's set was also about 30-45 minutes long I think.

Oh well, another short waiting, then we got "Doctor, Doctor" and then the boys entered the stage with a screaming of the audience, starting with
"Different World" as expected. The audience became wild and started to sing every song along with Bruce. I hope I will get the setlist correct :) This should be it:

Different World
These Colours Don't Run
Brighter Than a Thousand Suns
Wrathchild
The Trooper
Children of the Damned
The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
For the Greater Good of God
The Number of the Beast
Fear of the Dark
Run to the Hills
Iron Maiden
----------------
Two Minutes to Midnight
The Evil That Man Do
Hallowed Be Thy Name

I'm not sure with the order after the FTGGOG, but the encore should be ok. So there are 4 songs from the Number of the Beast album, am I right? I think they promised five :)

Eddie rolled with his tank out on us in the middle of "Iron Maiden". Then he came out on the stage during "The Evil That Man Do". Heh, his face looked like the face of the predator from the movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger :)

Just before the encore started, Bruce informed us that Nicko had a birthday and helped us singing "Happy Birthday".

They did some minor mistakes during the performance I think (wrong notes played maybe), but still I am amazed by what they are able to do in their age. I wish I will be in that shape when being fifty :) There was one funny moment when Dave tried to do some gesture with his picking hand and have dropped his pick, then he tried to continue to play and oops, the pick was nowhere to be found :) But he had new picks ready on the catwalk next to him.

My only complaint would go to the fans being too rude when trying to get to the front. In one moment the push from the side was so strong I even lost the balance and almost fell on the ground :) I'm afraid I heard the slovak language from the mouths of the most aggressive guys, but I believe there were also some aggressive czech and polish guys.

Some photos: http://www.ironmaiden.sk/turne/foto/ost ... strava.php

Audio: http://www.maiden.ke-mafia.com/ostrava_2007.htm

Oh and I got Adrian's pick. He threw it on us and it fell almost unnoticed right before me, so during the last two songs of the encore I was standing on it for nobody being able to take it from me, my presssious :) And after the gig, I looked under my feet and the pick was not there, oh my! Hehe, I found it attached on my boot's sole. And my brother was lucky to get Dave's. Fine picks for 1100 CZK each :) (normal pick costs some 10 CZK)

Belenor said:
So there are 4 songs from the Number of the Beast album, am I right? I think they promised five :)

Could be curfew issue ... but it's too bad that in such a situation, they don't drop old dogs like Wrathchild and Trooper to make room for the promised 5th Beast song.

Yeah, well I would replaced some songs by my favourites, but I am happy anyway :)

And after reading some reviews etc., it seems there were really 30 000 people, not bad for our region, I think :)

Back