Little musical cues that you love

chaosapiant

Ancient Marinade
So I was driving in my car this morning into work and listening, as I often do, to Iron Maiden. In today's rotation was the back half of Somewhere in Time. Specifically, Alexander the Great. I always notice this little bit of a bent chord on the last words of each verse, unsure what to call it. But I love it. And it made me wonder what other little music cues, doodles, notes, riffs, etc ya'll enjoy that no one really talks about.

During the live version of The Talisman from En Vivo! at around 3:16 Adrian sticks in a cool little guitar lick that's not on the album that kicks ass. It's a small detail but it gets me pumped up every time I hear it.

I was only listening to the Hallowed live single yesterday, with the Trooper as one of the b-sides. You really miss the 3rd part harmony when listening to old versions of the Trooper now.

In the album version of Wasted Years, at about 3:40, I love the way the end of the solo overlaps into the vocals and harmonizes with bruce's vocals.

Also when the intro riff kicks back in after the second chorus before the guitar solo. They only play 3 measures of the riff before the drum beat kicks in, rather than playing it 4 times as would be normal.

In Phantom of the Opera at the end of Dave's slow bluesy solo (3:18) you can hear Paul Di'Anno exhale into the microphone. "Ahhhh!"

I'm a fan of "Coming Home" on En Vivo because a solo (I can never tell who's) sort of lingers a bit further over the last chorus and it's so damn evocative.

Starblind: I'm assuming it's Adrian, but there's a part towards the back half when Bruce drops another chorus, and Adrian's just solo'ing away in the background weaving in and out of the song, and it just sounds so damn gorgeous.

Also: the drumming on En Vivo's "The Talisman" is fucking ape-shit phenomenal master class shit. It's all over the place and sounds, in parts, like a bunch of boulders falling all over a drum-set.

Starblind: I'm assuming it's Adrian, but there's a part towards the back half when Bruce drops another chorus, and Adrian's just solo'ing away in the background weaving in and out of the song, and it just sounds so damn gorgeous.
Yeah, that's a great moment on that album!

The light guitar bit played during presentation of the band -and more precisely that of Nicko- in "Sanctuary" on A Real Dead One.

-The arpeggiated C9 chords in the middle and at the end of Wasted Years' choruses. Very hard to hear, but make a special athmosphere.

-H's TOAC solo. The guitar is SCREAMING. In particular the bend to A.

-H's CSIT solo. All of it.

Just those at the top of my head.

I love Nicko’s hI-hat stop at 4:13 in Paschendale. It feels like the song stops for a second before carrying on.
Yes! I was gonna mention that moment. It's even better on Death On The Road. The little fill and then that hi-hat hit. And the entire part is phenomenal with Steve of all people doing the best backup singing ever.

On Maiden England when Bruce is pretending to be pissed off with the big crash ending "that's it! - End of the song"

EDIT: I realise I never mentioned the song : Heaven Can Wait

Last edited:
Back