1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's try and get 100,000 replies to this post

Discussion in 'Community' started by The Ancient Mariner, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Perun

Perun Climbing like a monkey Staff Member

That's cruel. Using school equipment to construct even the vaguest sexual innuendo in the honest belief that your teacher had never seen that one before is an essential part of puberty.

JudasMyGuide likes this.
  2. Zare

Zare Dream of broken citadels

There is a healthy market for proper calculators. Texas Instruments is still selling them. I don't remember elementary school, in highschool appear on a math or physics exam without a calc and you'd be tossed out. In college, we could use cheatsheet books for anything. I remember there was every single formula needed for physics exam there. It's not about learning them letter for letter, it's about knowing what to use and when.

3. Perun

Every calculator I ever owned was Texas Instruments, come to think of it. Was there ever any other relevant manufacturer?

4. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

You're supposed to do every calculation without help here. Wasn't just my time, it's still the case.

In highschool appear on a math or physics exam with a calc and you'd be tossed out.

5. Zare

What kind of school are you in? How can you do logarithms if you don't have either a logarithmic book or a calculator?

6. The Flash

I graduated from high school three years ago.

You had to memorize them.

7. Saapanael

Saapanael "My hair sets the trend of tmrw by doing it today"

How do you do trigonometry without a calculator? Let's say you've got the angles of a triangle and one side and need to find the other two sides. You can't work out the laws of sines and cosines off the top of your head if the values are not exact (sin0, sin30 etc.), right?

8. Saapanael

A horde of ants has found a secret passageway into my room. :puke: They better be ready to get Raided.

Brigantium likes this.
  9. The Flash

Honestly, don't ask me. I intentionally tanked all maths exams in high school because I thought it wasn't worth it. And it wasn't.

I either drew stupid shapes or wrote troll answers on my Maths exams. So I don't know how people did it. All I know is, calculators were never involved.

10. bearfan

bearfan Ancient Mariner

Same here ... .we had to take our watches off when they digital watches came out with calculators on them ... I had a Pac Man one .. fun, but no help in math

11. Zare

So you both were taught basic arithmetics only? You can't do algebra without a calculator or a plethora of other tools like log books and other cheatsheets of precalculated values. Hell you can't even do elementary school math properly, 7th grade here;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadratic_equation

How do you expect to squareroot 6.78 in your head?
    Once you enter high school, the values you are given won't be rounded out. In elementary school numbers fit nicely, and you can't use calc, because you're always going to have a straightforward square roots and such, that you know from the top of your head. If you don't, you fucked up something. They don't leave this venue of self-verification open for highschoolers.

12. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

I hated maths. I wasn't likely to be amused by the boobies thing, and it was the only subject where you were left with a series of textbooks and more or less told to learn how to do it yourself. Hardly anyone completed the full series.

13. Perun

I don't think they're the ones who can answer those questions, Zare.

14. jazz from hell

jazz from hell Ancient Mariner

Math is the shit.
    2.6038433? Did that in my head. Not so hard, just look for the squares.
    Kidding, but can you discribe general relativity in five sentences?

15. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

Cried's birthday today...

16. Zare

Ok but it's still unfathomable to me. This isn't optional knowledge in our school system.

I tried but it looked ridiculous. Something with pinching plastic bags. Never mind.

17. Zare

Is it? May it be the happiest of them all.

CriedWhenBrucieLeft likes this.
  18. Saapanael

Happy birthday, Cried! How old is Cried?

19. Black Abyss Babe

Black Abyss Babe Ocean soul

20. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

Happy birthday Cried! May Buckethead send you a personalized birthday recording