Leprous

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
Leprous is a prog metal band. Their new (5th) album, called The Congregation, came out few days ago and it's awesome. I heard a bit of their previous albums and wasn't really into it, but this new one is just amazing. All songs are quite epic and interesting without all the pretentiousness that prog metal usually has.

Here's the first single:

Here's another one:

Finally got around to checking this album out yesterday. Was pretty good, I'll have to listen to it more before forming a solid opinion. Not sure if it lived up to the hype but there were definitely some great tracks. 2015 is shaping up to be a pretty huge year for prog metal.

I can't get into this band at all and the main reason is that I do not like the vocals. They have that typical prog rock style, but with this added modern falsetto style happening all the time. It's kind of a big trend in rock singing recently and I just don't dig it. Oh well.

Yea I had trouble with the vocals too. Sometimes I liked them a lot other times they were a distraction.

Yes, same first reaction here. I was half expecting some growling at some point for a bit of contrast, but it never happened. The vocals suit the music, but the protracted falsetto wore my ears out eventually.

Vocals are great IMO, a breath of fresh air in a genre filled with emotionless robotic vocals :p Besides, how can you guys tolerate Geddy Lee but not this guy? :p

Vocals are great IMO, a breath of fresh air in a genre filled with emotionless robotic vocals :p Besides, how can you guys tolerate Geddy Lee but not this guy? :p

Geddy Lee is belting, this guy is whisper-singing or falsetto wailing or monotone droning or indie-rock sliding into each pitch.

tolerate Geddy Lee

8524698.jpg

Gotta promote this band more :D

Bit more subdued vocals for those who don't like the falsetto + there are some growls :)

Congregation is one of the best produced albums I've heard this year. I love how the guitars lock in with the drums. Sounds very smooth.

Drummer is insane. One of the best I've ever seen live definitely. Leprous' music is very complex in terms of time signatures (only basing this on what I hear, dunno the theory :p) yet he still manages to improvise a lot without missing a beat. Kind of a combo between Brann from Mastodon in terms of overall craziness in playing and numerous fills, but as precise as say, Martin Lopez. Been playing for numerous Norwegian bands lately, on this tour he's playing with 2 bands each night and he's only 22-23. I'm impressed and wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in a bigger progressive metal band in the future.

Welcome to Jazz drumming. :D Brann from Mastodon has a Jazz background and it totally shows in his playing. exactly what you described. Idk about the Leprous guy but I'm sure it's a similar deal.

Thoughts on Malina? My first impression is that it’s good but a bit same-y. Starts off very strong though. Vocals fit the music better here though as opposed to Congregation.

Back