Legacy Of The Beast Post-Pandemic Leg

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing wrong there is Bruce actually saying he was wrong. He was not wrong.

Go to the store and buy a cheap synth, that would be analogous of whatever that Polish guy might have yielded in 1984, sit down and play a heavy metal riff. See how it turns out.
I think Bruce was probably taking a jab at this warm/pop synth sound that infiltrated into rock/metal music. This was 1984, Jump was probably all over the radio-waves....

He could have also been talking out of his arse!

No he wasn't. You're in a band. You're out drinking and someone presumably drunk or half drunk comes asks you can you play X. You say no and move on, because on yes, question "how" follows, or statement "show me".

Q : I bought a tuba, can I play heavy metal with it
A : Yes
Q : How?
A : for fucks sake dude

Obviously I have some experience in how this goes, I'm not one to go give brofists and "my man" famous people but I've observed my friends do so. Slaven Bilic just had to listen to 5 minutes of monologue to his ear, beer in his hand, long staring at the point somewhere in the better future, all while my friend is instructing him how to handle Premiership because Slaven didn't know how to say no.

Bruce was dead serious, the liner notes to Piece of Mind says "no synthesizers or ulterior motives"

Exactly. Up until 1984 Maiden were adamant that there was no room for synthesizers in their music. 2 years later they changed their minds.

No he wasn't. You're in a band. You're out drinking and someone presumably drunk or half drunk comes asks you can you play X. You say no and move on, because on yes, question "how" follows, or statement "show me".

Q : I bought a tuba, can I play heavy metal with it
A : Yes
Q : How?
A : for fucks sake dude

Obviously I have some experience in how this goes, I'm not one to go give brofists and "my man" famous people but I've observed my friends do so. Slaven Bilic just had to listen to 5 minutes of monologue to his ear, beer in his hand, long staring at the point somewhere in the better future, all while my friend is instructing him how to handle Premiership because Slaven didn't know how to say no.
This. Bruce was at a party, and some random guys starts talking to him. Bruce could've declared "power chords are stupid" and I wouldn't have given it any consideration either.

Last edited:
Well, I felt Bruce was genuinely interested in talking with this guy, behind the iron curtain.
It was a time in which they liked talking with a few fans. The good old days.

Bruce was dead serious, the liner notes to Piece of Mind says "no synthesizers or ulterior motives"
Exactly. Up until 1984 Maiden were adamant that there was no room for synthesizers in their music. 2 years later they changed their minds.

lol

Edit : and that's the average amount of synth in a SiT song. Just some bassy carpet, the usual let's use the studio's mini moog to fatten up this part a bit.

No keys. Guitar. I guess there are ways to imitate keys on guitar in 1983.

edit:
@Zare
The middle section of this 1977 song is all guitar (and Nicko on drums :) ).

1615390383429.png

Last edited:
Well, I felt Bruce was genuinely interested in talking with this guy, behind the iron curtain.
It was a time in which they liked talking with a few fans. The good old days.

I did find Bruce a bit cordial in that clip. It may be due to being filmed.

No keys. Guitar.

Ever heard this? No keys, all guitar.

Sure for the Travers video, nope for the Piece of Mind. Totally different sounds altogether.

Synths also come in bass pedal form. Synth is not a keyboard, it is a device which manipulates electronic signals to produce notes. The source of the note is flat electric signal of a appropriate "notal" frequency, it can be sourced from a generator that generates it upon pressing the key on the keyboard, it can be sourced from a pickup bass guitar itself because it is the same thing. Afterwards the pure note signal is driven through something that gives it sine wave, square wave, saw wave shape, arpegiattors, whatever...and that's the "sound of the synth" we all know.

This is not the same thing as using delay pedals to produce echo carpet.

I need more convincing than a scientific definition and a statement that these are totally different sounds altogether.

I think Bruce, definitely not into such audio techniques, meant (and I think we hear on Still Life) played with guitar. Probably not understood by Bruce as being synthesizers sounds or not.

(not really Perun, I am only reacting to others)

@Yax what do you reckon is on Still Life intro? Synth, bass synth pedal, or as Forostar suggests a chain of classic guitar pedals?

I need more convincing than a scientific definition and a statement that these are totally different sounds altogether.

I think Bruce, definitely not into such audio techniques, meant (and I think we hear on Still Life) played with guitar. Probably not understood by Bruce as being synthesizers sounds or not.

(not really Perun, I am only reacting to others)

I wouldn't input those things to him being a VDGG and King Crimson fan.
Bruce also knows all the synths from the 1970s by name.

These synths are boxes that do not come with keyboards in itself, they are only synths. Some of them work by using samples on the tape.

Off topic from what? There has been no band developments since forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back