Lady Gaga: "Nicko is a Sexy Beast!"

GuineaPig

Ancient Mariner
Is it really that hard to believe?  It's not like she's professing her love for Cryptopsy.  Maiden's accessible and catchy.
 

Mosh

Winner of the 2020 Dumbest Comment Ever Award
Staff member
It isn't hard to believe. It's just a bit odd that a pop singer apparently listens to metal more than pop.
 
Now I've never listened to Gaga, so I am working off a point of unfamiliarity here, but I think we should all be more open to other types of music. From what I can tell, of all genres, rock/metal fans are the most resistant to any other type of music, and I think it reflects badly on us. That is not to say of course that there are some rock fans who enjoy other genres, but just watch a rock video on YT and you'll see the hate towards other genres, pop and rap in particular in the comments.

I actually do like some rap, and I think it's not too different from rock really. They're both music forms that express (mostly) forms of anger. I do find it harder, though, to appreciate rappers that use computer generated instruments and sample other songs. That's why I like Eminem; for example, I love that killer riff in Lose Yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO2wA0Te0wM

That song has some great rhythms and I could actually see it working as a rock song. Also, his lyrics have some real meaning, unlike very many other rappers.

I think you just have to be in the right mindset to appreciate rap. Just be open is what I'm trying to say.
 

Mega

Ancient Mariner
I actually like alot of genres besides metal. I love prog rock and classic rock, and I even listen to some pop from time to time. But when I say pop, I mean the classic acts: Bee Gees, Elton John, even a little ABBA if the mood is right.

But today everything about pop music is fake: the voices are fake, the singing is fake, the instruments are digital, everything is digitized and there's no soul to anything.
 

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
Mega said:
the instruments are digital, everything is digitized and there's no soul to anything.
This is the thing I hate the most. I hate techno, house, trance and that kind of shit. It's annoying and primitive, and IMO that isn't music, just random shitty noise.

Besides metal, I also like hard/classic rock and punk (The Clash, Sex Pistols, Ramones, Green Day). I also like Gorillaz, the only "band" I listen that isn't metal, rock or punk.
 

Mosh

Winner of the 2020 Dumbest Comment Ever Award
Staff member
I'm open to other music. In fact I decided to give Eminem a try. I liked it. I'm not a huge fan, I don't have any albums, but I enjoyed what I heard. Also more recently I've been discovering some hardcore Punk. It isn't that bad. But Lady Gaga just isn't my cup of tea especially because of what mega said about being Digital. That is one reason I liked the latest Foo Fighters album so much. I might not like 80's pop music that much, but at least it was more real than most pop music today.
 

Mosh

Winner of the 2020 Dumbest Comment Ever Award
Staff member
I only listen to classic rap too. Eminem is the only exception, and like I said I don't listen to him that often anyway.
 
Stallion Duck said:
I'm open to other music. In fact I decided to give Eminem a try. I liked it. I'm not a huge fan, I don't have any albums, but I enjoyed what I heard. Also more recently I've been discovering some hardcore Punk. It isn't that bad. But Lady Gaga just isn't my cup of tea especially because of what mega said about being Digital. That is one reason I liked the latest Foo Fighters album so much. I might not like 80's pop music that much, but at least it was more real than most pop music today.

for old school hardcore punk i recommended you BOLD and Gorilla Biscuits  :edmetal:,and off course a little bit crossover like D.R.I and Cro-Mags...
 

Mosh

Winner of the 2020 Dumbest Comment Ever Award
Staff member
Really like the hard core stuff don't you.
 
Stallion Duck said:
Really like the hard core stuff don't you.

I love music in general and when i said over there that Gaga is for wankers i wasn't really mean like that...just my metalized blood was speaking through me and i am sorry if i was too rude.! :ok:
 

snake plissken

Ancient Mariner
Maiden are the only Metal band I listen to. I've no problem with Gaga liking Maiden. Saw an interview with her once where she said before she was famous she used to do interpretive dance to Iron Maiden records in a New York club  :lol:
 

The Flash

Dennis Wilcock did 9/11
Well, aside from metal, I'm a big classic rock and classical music fan. I often listen to jazz, blues, punk and funk. I don't like pop as a genre but of course there are some pop songs I like. Not the most popular ones, some not really well known stuff. (I'd call that a kind alternative rock maybe, alternative rock ballads) I don't like R&B, I despise rap. However if there's a good beat, I give it a listen. For example "Black and Yellow" from Wiz Khalifa. I don't like the rapping but the substructure melodies are great so I sometimes listen it.
 

Mosh

Winner of the 2020 Dumbest Comment Ever Award
Staff member
BruceBruceSRB said:
I love music in general and when i said over there that Gaga is for wankers i wasn't really mean like that...just my metalized blood was speaking through me and i am sorry if i was too rude.! :ok:
It's cool! :ok:
 

mtmccox

Ancient Mariner
snake plissken said:
Maiden are the only Metal band I listen to.

Same here. I prefer rock'n'roll, latin, blues and even few jazz things. But I can't not listen to Maiden :)

I was surprised though about her + Brian May.
I don't want it to sound bad but I don't think Brian should "waste" his ingenious talent on music like that..
 

Fugazi

Alchemist
snake plissken said:
Maiden are the only Metal band I listen to. I've no problem with Gaga liking Maiden. Saw an interview with her once where she said before she was famous she used to do interpretive dance to Iron Maiden records in a New York club  :lol:

I wonder if she did a interpretation of the Danse Macabre. :lol:
 

Mosh

Winner of the 2020 Dumbest Comment Ever Award
Staff member
mtmccox said:
Same here. I prefer rock'n'roll, latin, blues and even few jazz things. But I can't not listen to Maiden :)

I was surprised though about her + Brian May.
I don't want it to sound bad but I don't think Brian should "waste" his ingenious talent on music like that..
I think it makes sense for him. He likes to collaborate with other musicians from all genres. I'm not surprised.
 

Dr. Eddies Wingman

Brighter than thousand_suns
Nothing wrong with people collaborating across genres. That did, for example, give us Michael Jackson's Beat It, which is a very enjoyable song.
 

Yax

Ancient Mariner
Eddies Wingman said:
Nothing wrong with people collaborating across genres. That did, for example, give us Michael Jackson's Beat It, which is a very enjoyable song.
Which Malmsteen ruined. Awful cover.  :p  :ninja:
 
Top