Italians, wake up!

A

Anonymous

Tens of thousands of Italians have expressed their disagreement with a plan by the minister of education, universities, and research, Letizia Moratti, to ban the teaching of evolutionary theory to young teenagers.

Fearing the measure will pave the way for creationist teaching, more than 40,000 citizens—and the number is still increasing—have subscribed a petition launched last week by some of the country's top scientists through the daily La Repubblica.

The document, signed by Nobel laureates Rita Levi Montalcini and Renato Dulbecco, together with scientists including Luca Cavalli Sforza, Bruno Dallapiccola, and Alberto Piazza, urges Moratti to “review the secondary schools programs and to rectify an oversight which is detrimental to the scientific culture of future generations.”

Ignoring the theory of evolution is a cultural limitation sacrificing the scientific curiosity of youth. It's unquestionably fair to point out that Darwinism and the theories that derived from it show gaps and unsolved problems, but the link between the past and the present of mankind shouldn't be completely ignored,” write the scientists.

Source: [a href=\'http://www.biomedcentral.com/news/20040428/04\' target=\'_blank\']The Scientist[/a]

Those who feel strongly about this should sign the [a href=\'http://www.repubblica.it/speciale/2004/appelli/scuola2/index_eng.html\' target=\'_blank\']petition[/a] too! I did!

Thank you for your attention [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

You know, personally, I believe that evolution has its place as a theory. It really shouldn't get all that much time except in a detailed biology class.

Recently here in the USA, the superintendent of schools in Atlanta, Georgia tried to pass a similar measure. I never heard whether it passed or failed, but I do recall that massive protests by Atlanta citizens and ridicule from the rest of the nation caused most city council members to state they wouldn't vote for it. I assume they voted as they said they would and it was shot down - especially because if it had passed, it would have made the news.

So in other words, public protest can and does work in cases like this. I'll sign the petition too.

For people who don't believe in evolution: show me another scientifically plausible explanation for the following phenomena:
  • The fact that all living things are composed of cells which function in similar ways
  • The presence of DNA in all cells, and how all DNA is very similar
  • The similarities of comparative anatomy of many animals
  • The fossil record
I could go on, but those are the most important points which an alternative theory would have to explain. Good luck - you'll need it!

As a researcher in biology, an Italian and a supporter of the petition, let me thank Maverick and everyone supporting this cause on Maidenfans. Evolution is "at least" worth to be mentioned...isn't it?
Best.
M

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Apr 28 2004, 08:11 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Apr 28 2004, 08:11 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]“Ignoring the theory of evolution is a cultural limitation sacrificing the scientific curiosity of youth. It's unquestionably fair to point out that Darwinism and the theories that derived from it show gaps and unsolved problems, but the link between the past and the present of mankind shouldn't be completely ignored,” write the scientists.

[/quote]
Yes that's an open door to fanatism . I signed too.

Good news! [a href=\'http://www.biomedcentral.com/news/20040429/01\' target=\'_blank\']Darwin is back in Italy's schools[/a]

Thanks a lot to all who participated in the petition! [!--emo&B)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cool.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Damn that was quick! I'm glad I voted [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Letizia Moratti is a shit.
ah,i'm italian,so i know that.
i hate my government.
in particular Berlusconi,you must have heard about him. [!--emo&:cussing:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cussing[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cussing[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back