Is Still Life the titletrack to Piece of Mind?

...or is it Revelations?

Is For The Greater Good of God the unofficial titletrack of AMOLAD ?
What of Virtual XI?
Has this been posted before...I couldn't find it.

No, POM has no title track, although it's name is mentioned in SL:

Nightmares!
Coming all the time!
Nightmares!
Will give me piece of mind!

AMOLAD and VXI have no title tracks, nor does TXF.

Too true Black_Thunder! But I'm wondering if Still Life is considered an "unofficial" titletrack. For some reason I've always considered FTGGOD as the "unofficial" titletrack of AMOLAD. Not sure exactly why, as its order in the tracklist doesn't guarantee this "unofficial" accolade and based upon the positioning of the DOD and BNW titlesongs you could almost give the unofficial title to Brighter Than A Thousand Suns.

But to me nothing on POM apart from Revelations really screams out "unofficial" titletrack, so maybe the honour should sit with Still Life by default of the lyrics.

Not sure if this makes sense or should just disappear quietly down the posts...

I was just thinking about Still Life and "...will give me piece of mind" in the car today! :D Sure, I consider it somewhat of a semi-title track.

For instance, Caught Somewhere In Time is the title track to Somewhere In Time. Although it doesn't have the same title, the album title was derived from it. The album called "Somewhere In Time" sounds better than "Caught Somewhere In Time".

As you could read from numerous Harris' interviews, they usually don't target specific name for lyrical concept / theme on the record. They use something they think of as strong title.
Piece Of Mind's first title was Food For Thought. They had this "brain" ideas going on because of McBrain joining the band. In the end they thought that Piece Of Mind sounds better than Food For Thought, and they were right. Still Life has nothing to do with it, and i don't know how the hell did you all think that it says "piece of mind" in the song. It just doesn't have any sense.

Hypothesizing about lyrical metaphors in commentary sections is ok, but face the fact that some albums don't have a title track.

Piece Of Mind - name came from McBrain related jokes (artwork too), songs contain history / psychology / fiction / mythology. No common theme recurring. It's just a bunch of songs.

The X Factor - should have been called Blood On The World's Hands, Harris changed the title. 10th album, and he thought that "X Factor" sounds cool. Therefore, no title track. If it were called BOTWH, that would be the title track. In reality, it has none.

Virtual XI - again a play with album number, with all the hype going with VR in 1998 the title sounded "relevant". There is one track, the opener, that has lyrical theme that would fit the album track. Again, that song is called "Futureal". All other songs aren't related to the subject at all, they're quite diverse. If they wanted Futureal to be title track, they would either called the album Futureal or rename the song to Virtual XI (with a variation ala CSIT/SIT). Songs don't need to have title words in their lyrics. Again, Still Life doesn't have those words in it's lyrics.

AMOLAD - a title that sounds good and sums the theme behind all the songs on the album. Someone said that FTGGOG is the title track. Nonsense. Most of them could be "title" tracks because the damned title was made so it reflects those songs! For me personally, the title reflects Brighter Than A Thousand Suns more than others, because that song talks about life creating ultimate device for it's death.

As in commentary, we sometimes project our personal experiences and opinions and the way we see things, but as in commentary that has some songs too well "documented", backed up by band interviews, leaving little to no room for our fan speculation, here we have pure statements and logic from band members about album titles and how they've came to that. If you want me to remind you, Harris will always pick one of the tracks for title, if he thinks that the name is strong enough. What does in common have NPFTD's title track to the rest of the album? Nothing. We have songs about WW2 bombers, Jimmy Reptile, S&M sex, social commentary, submarine warfare, Russia...But it's title track because it is. Simple as that.

Jeff beat me to the clarification and I've noticed that with other artists, not just Maiden. The album won't have a title track, but the title will be mentioned in a song somewhere. It doesn't happen often, but for all intents and purposes that does NOT make a track officially or unofficially the title track.

The title track by definition is exactly that: The song that bears the albums title. An album lacking said song ergo has no title track... it's not that hard folks.

talking of Still Life...

Perhaps this song could be due an airing next year when they tour TFF.

Last played on Seventh Tour I think ?

Still Life is probably the best candidate though, considering it's use of the title and that it's loosely about going insane, which works with the album cover.

For AMOLAD, I'd agree with Jonszat that These Colours Don't Run is the best representation for the Album.

In an interview with Nicko he said the title would either be FTGGOG or the Legacy. They didn't choose the former because it was "Going too far". and they didn't do the latter because they didn't want people to think it was thier last album. Makes you wonder about the FF

Thanks Zare for your insight on Blood on the Worlds Hands. I've always thought of Sign of the Cross as the "unoffical" titletrack on TXF so its interesting to know Steve was considering his bass solo beast of a song for the honours.

Giving the honour to These Colours Don't Run on AMOLAD would have given too much recognition towards Sharon Osborne and the egg throwing incident in California...although it is a classic track. Interesting to hear of Nicko's insight on AMOLAD. Thanks...and it reinforces my thoughts on FTGGOD...it just has titletrack written all over it.

Mostly irrelevant to this discussion, but...

Zare said:
Songs don't need to have title words in their lyrics

Unless you want to hit #1 on the pop chart.

Now my info is two decades old, and maybe 1995-2010 changed this. But from 1955 thru the early 90s, there were only a few (non-instrumental) US #1 songs that didn't have the title in the lyrics.

Two I remember:
Everly Brothers, Unchained Melody
Rod Stewart, Young Turks

I think there's only one more, but I can't recall it.

Obviously, less popular genres like metal don't care about this. But "title in the lyrics" makes sense for pop: you want people to hear the title on the radio, remember it and then go buy the single. That's why the title is not just there, but usually the most prominent part (the main hook).

Of course, and those title words are always accented in the song. So you can identify a new song quickly.
But we aren't talking pop on these boards  :D

Pink Floyd has a lot of songs that don't have title words in lyrics.

Back