Is Benjamin Breeg a powerslave?

A

Anonymous

I received an interesting email that I wanted to share with you (with the permission of the author). Here it goes:

• i think that it could be noted that the single The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg from maiden's latest album is similar in style to the song powerslave from the powerslave album and placed at a similar position in the album.

if you notice, the entire gist of the musical quality of the song bears the same dark sound and resemblance to the one used in powerslave.  as a musician, this is best described by a minor key.  also, the view that a matter of life and death is prog metal fits this song slightly, as it emulates the style of powerslave, with a fresh sound while still maintaining the classic maiden elements.  my last comparison is between the lyrics.  both speak of possession by some higher power causing missery.  if b.breeg had anything to do with the character of powerslave, the lyrics almost fit that it would be at an earlier stage of his life.

So... would anybody say that Ben Breeg is a powerslave?

Interesting take on things. I agree on the comparison but I'm not sure if there's really a thought behind it all 20-odd years later.
But if they've gone through their old material and listened to old songs, maybe the theme and gist of Powerslave influenced the song writing on Breeg - on a concious or sub-concious level?

When I clicked on the thread title from the "unread posts" list, I was sure I was going to be taken to the madness forum based on the thread title...

While the connection is a plausible one, I don't personally agree with it. But in light of this new theory, I'll throw in one more piece of evidence to consider:

Let me tell you of my hope, of my need to reach the sky

The ancient Egyptians believed that their Pharoah was not just any plain old god, but "the risen Osiris". The worship of Osiris was also associated with a specific star[sup]1[/sup]. As I recall, part of their beliefs was that the soul of the dead king literally traveled to this star after burial. It has even been suggested that some of the "air shafts" in the Pyramids were intended as conduits for the soul to travel through, since they line up with the star at times. Thus, if the speaker of "Breeg" was indeed a Pharoah, he could indeed have a hope and need of literally reaching the sky.

As stated above, I think the connection is too thin. I don't agree with this interpretation personally. However, one of the great things about Maiden lyrics is that they frequently allow multiple interpretations. In my opinion, all these interpretations are valid; they are personal to the interpreter. My difference of opinion is not a statement that "this interpretation is wrong". It is simply my opinion that if such a connection were intended, the writers would have made it more clear.

[sup]1[/sup]I think it was the north star; however, my book on the subject is currently on loan to a friend, so I can't look it up. That's why I have to resort to phrases like "as I recall" above.

the only similarity that I find exept the "speak of possession by some higher power causing missery", is that a long long time ago (super long in fact) some Benjamin's ancestor was working as a hard hat in the Powerslave's grave workshop 

Interesting theory.

But what about other lyrics?

Let me tell you of my hope, of my need to reach the sky

This would fit perfectly into this concept.

I'm able to see things, things I don't want to see
The lives of a thousand souls weigh heavy down on me

On the other hand - I don't see any connection between this (plus many other parts of the lyrics) and the ancient Pharaohs.

Musically, maybe. Lyrically, I don't think so.

I'd still say there's more connection to Seventh Son.
As Maverick pointed out in the commentary:

Save me - save me from torturing myself even within my dreams

+

There's got to be just more to it than this, or tell me why do we exist
I'd like to think that when I die I'll get a chance another time
And to return and live again, reincarnate, play the game

Back