Iron Man - the Movie

Albie

Keeping an open eye on the Weeping Angels.
I have to say, when that riff comes in....brilliant. Another Marvel character gets the big screen treatment.

From what I see, I will quite possibly be queuing in the local flea pit. :D
 

SinisterMinisterX

Illuminatus
Staff member
The movie looks very good. Iron Man is a very interesting character in the comics, one who never quite got his due outside of comics fans. Although the comic version of Tony Stark is an asshole at times (Civil War anyone?), it seems that Downey may make him sympathetic. After all, the origin of Iron Man is a lot better than his recent stuff.

I'm much more optimistic about this than I have been about recent superhero movies. I think the latest Superman and Batman movies were very good, but I wasn't optimistic going into them. Downey is a very good actor, so there's much reason for hope.
 

Onhell

Infinite Dreamer
That looks fucking awesome!!! The choice of song was a no brainer and it better be in the movie and soundtrack album!!!
 

Helphyre

Trooper
I can't wait for the movie now. Downey seems to capture Tony Stark perfectly: cool, sophisticated, witty, and just enough of an asshole to make him memorable. I knew they'd use the Black Sabbath song but I wasn't expecting it to work so well. I've never been too big a comic book fan, but Iron Man's always been my favorite superhero, so my expectations are high after seeing the trailer.
 

Powergirl81

Trooper
Looks like a great flick! You know that song will be on the soundtrack...

"I AM IRON MAAAAN!"

*marking the calendar for 5-2-08*
 

MisterAJ

Trooper
Don't much like the comic book version these day's because of the Civil War thing, but this looks good...
 

Deano

Ancient Mariner
Mmm...Donuts said:
Man I'm getting hyped by the moment. I gotta see this. Iron Man as Iron Man theme song is just a no brainer! Cheers!

Yet Godzilla by Blue Oyster Cult did not make the cut for the latest Godzilla movie. I was very disappointed about that.
 

LooseCannon

Enterprise-class aircraft carrier
Staff member
Deano said:
Yet Godzilla by Blue Oyster Cult did not make the cut for the latest Godzilla movie. I was very disappointed about that.

What, the one with Matthew Broderick?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
yeah, this looks awesome. im stoked about it. i mean, even if it is a bit cheezy, whatever its still probably better than most of the crap coming out of hollywood these days anyway.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Roxy_Flashlight said:
whatever its still probably better than most of the crap coming out of hollywood these days anyway.

How would you know that? To me, that sort of movie is "most of the crap coming our of Hollywood these days".
Don't get me wrong; it looks pretty cool. But I'm seriously tired of comic book films.
 

Onhell

Infinite Dreamer
How can you be tired of comic book films if they are a VERY recent trend? Mindless action movies have been around for much longer :D (Rambo anyone?)
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Onhell said:
How can you be tired of comic book films if they are a VERY recent trend? Mindless action movies have been around for much longer :D (Rambo anyone?)
It may be a recent trend, but there's been too many for my taste. Why can't Hollywood come up with something original anymore?
 

Onhell

Infinite Dreamer
Perun said:
It may be a recent trend, but there's been too many for my taste. Why can't Hollywood come up with something original anymore?

How is that not original? So now making movies out of books/comics is not original? Why does it have to be? it's bringing one form of art (literature) to another (Cinema). When Have they done "original" things? Frankly if you look deep enough every single decade has been riddled with the same amount of crappy movies, just because we have the filter of time it doesn't mean the past ported more originality.

@donuts: I can only think of two remakes that have ever been both critically and popularly acclaimed (John Carpenter's The Thing, and The Fly), all the rest have either sucked monkey balls or there is debate whether or not and why it is better than the original. Oh Airplane was a good remake too lol.
 

SinisterMinisterX

Illuminatus
Staff member
Onhell said:
I can only think of two remakes that have ever been both critically and popularly acclaimed...

I'm sure there are a few more, if you really look for them. One example comes to mind: The Ten Commandments (the 1950s version with Charlton Heston as Moses). That was a remake - Cecil B. DeMille remade his own movie. The original version was a silent film from the 1920s.

Edit: I just thought of another. Ben Hur was another remake of a silent film. Thinking about Charlton Heston made me remember Ben Hur, shortly before it made me remember the NRA, and Heston bringing their convention to Denver just days after Columbine. I then threw up in my mouth, just a little bit. Fuck Charlton Heston. Fuck him up his stupid ass.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Onhell said:
How is that not original? So now making movies out of books/comics is not original? Why does it have to be? it's bringing one form of art (literature) to another (Cinema). When Have they done "original" things? Frankly if you look deep enough every single decade has been riddled with the same amount of crappy movies, just because we have the filter of time it doesn't mean the past ported more originality.

Coming up with your own stories is, in my opinion, original.
 
Top