Iron Maiden - Walking on Glass?

It's a guitar solo regularly played by Davey and Adrian on the Somewhere in Time Tour after Rime of the Ancient Mariner. The melody is from an English winter/Christmas song called Walking in the Air (so the title Walking on Glass that appears on many bootlegs is wrong), and... well, that's pretty much all there is to it. Walking in the Air was recorded by Nightwish on their 1998 album Oceanborn.

Actually, Walking On Glass is the real name, the performance consists of parts that Murray did in his show solos until 1985, and guitar synth pad + parts of solo that Smith did on Hackney gigs in 1985. Walking In The Air melody is just one part of the whole thing.

Zare said:
Actually, Walking On Glass is the real name, the performance consists of parts that Murray did in his show solos until 1985, and guitar synth pad + parts of solo that Smith did on Hackney gigs in 1985. Walking In The Air melody is just one part of the whole thing.

Could you point out those exact parts? I'd like to hear these. Thanks in advance.

Forostar said:
Could you point out those exact parts? I'd like to hear these. Thanks in advance.

Basically most of Adrian's parts up till 2.30 are from his intro to "Silver and Gold" on the Entire Population of Hackney bootleg.

As for the name, perhaps it came from this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walking_on_Glass
It seems like a Maiden-thing to do, they decided to integrate a guitar solo section into the gig and wanted to use "Walking in the Air". Then someone decided it would be good to name it walking on glass after reading that book? All guessing of course, without finding an interview or a setlist from the time we probably won't know.

Indeed. I never noticed those Adrian parts in older Dave solos so that's why I wonder about Zare's explanation. Nor do I remember the Dave parts in Walking on Glass from older solos, but that can be my own memory. I haven't played all those old solos in ages.

Good god, a decade is going to pass and we still haven't found the answer.

Wikipedia states, Somewhere on Tour article

The guitar duet, "Walking on Glass", was written and played (as a true guitar solo) by Adrian Smith the previous year when he and Nicko McBrain played two shows as The Entire Population of Hackney. Not played on the very last night in Japan.

No references though.

Good god, a decade is going to pass and we still haven't found the answer.

Wikipedia states, Somewhere on Tour article

No references though.

If I remember correctly, there are some bootlegs available of The Entire Population of Hackney gig; it should be possible to check it (I have not been able to find that bit on Youtube though).

EDIT: I found it! The first bit of the Walking on Glass solo seems to be based on Adrian's solo from 1985.

Last edited:
To my knowledge the story is that there was a children's lullaby called "Walking In The Air" around the year I was born (1974). The song was used (although edited) by Howard Blake to be used in a movie called "Snowman" which is based in a book by the same name written by Raymond Briggs. The song (Walking In The Air) became the trademark of the movie and even topped the charts around 1985 (which would explain why did Adrian heard it) Anyway, some parts of the tune of WITA were played by Adrian with The Whole Population Of Hackney at the Marquee and later on added to the Somewhere On Tour but at it was "Maidenaised" it got the name "Walking On Glass"

Is there any source that proves that "Walking on Glass" is what Maiden actually called it?

I realise that is the name on bootlegs, but bootlegs are unofficial and the info could be incorrect, e.g. I once seen a Manic Street Preachers bootleg that featured a song called "Toon Army" (the real title is Tsunami).

Without any official proof, my gut instinct would be the bootlegger recognized the melody from Walking in the Air and either made a mistake thinking it was really called Walking on Glass or else changed the title himself for some reason.

The song (Walking In The Air) became the trademark of the movie and even topped the charts around 1985 (which would explain why did Adrian heard it)

It was a huge hit and is still heard around Christmas time these days, the video will be on repeat on music video channels for most of the month of December.

Is there any source that proves that "Walking on Glass" is what Maiden actually called it?

I realise that is the name on bootlegs, but bootlegs are unofficial and the info could be incorrect, e.g. I once seen a Manic Street Preachers bootleg that featured a song called "Toon Army" (the real title is Tsunami).

Without any official proof, my gut instinct would be the bootlegger recognized the melody from Walking in the Air and either made a mistake thinking it was really called Walking on Glass or else changed the title himself for some reason.
I think you're absolutely right. The number never had an official name so it was wrongly titled by a bootlegger. Plus, that bit was never actually played by The Entire Population of Hackney. "Silver and Gold" song had a long intro and that was what Adrian brought to Maiden on SIT Tour.

The Hammersmith bootleg that introduced me to Maiden had this as Six Strings Sting.
I guess there was never an "official" name for it.

Funnily enough, Manic Street Preachers renamed Tsunami at a gig in Newcastle in 2017 as, wait for it, Toon Army! The bootleg might be from that particular night.

Funnily enough, Manic Street Preachers renamed Tsunami at a gig in Newcastle in 2017 as, wait for it, Toon Army! The bootleg might be from that particular night.

I saw it in the mid 90s so I don't think so, but it could have been a gig in Newcastle and they could have been making the same joke.

Back