Iron Maiden voted greatest metal band of all time ahead of Metallica

Pre Dio Black Sabbath > Pre Blaze Maiden as far as significance to the genre goes.

But you include the BNW era and you have a bigger band. This last 22 years’ run have been phenomenal and not yet fully assessed. But it will be and Maiden will be re-recognized as one of the greats by the wider Metal Community not only due to TNotB but to AMOLAD & BNW too.

There is no precedent of what we witnessed post Blaze guys. Not in Metal at least. It will only gets bigger from now on.

Obviously, I agree Maiden is a greater band than Sabbath. However, I don't view their career in terms of "eras". Several members of this forum convincingly showed that the reunion era was in germ in Virtual XI, and I'm more convinced by an interpretation of their production in terms of cycles, with certain patterns and caracteristics turning back, whoever sings or produces the records.

Shouldn't the title of the thread read "Thousands of listeners of a radio station vote Iron Maiden as the greatest metal album of all time"?

At the end of the day the sample wasn't that big and we do not know the exact results. How many votes did each band get?

Black Sabbath is a great band too, if you consider the Ronnie James Dio and Tony Martin eras. Especially the 1980 to 1982 and the 1987 to 1994 periods. Plus the Heaven & Hell band records ('The Devil You Know' and the live released in 2007). That's said, Maiden was and is bigger. Metallica is nothing if compared to the both other bands quoted in this thread.

You will have to get accustomed to Ghost's relentless irony and cynism :D . This man believes in nothing , and I hope you are not a British Lion fan:p
I edited my reply to him in case I was being overly sarcastic. I wasn't sure if he was chastising me or not. I'm nocturnal and only woke up about half an hour ago.

You will have to get accustomed to Ghost's relentless irony and cynism :D . This man believes in nothing , and I hope you are not a British Lion fan:p

I know I believe in nothing but it is my nothing! :D

(Not true though, as I believe - among other things - in a properly funded welfare state ;))

Last edited:
Black Sabbath is a great band too, if you consider the Ronnie James Dio and Tony Martin eras. Especially the 1980 to 1982 and the 1987 to 1994 periods. Plus the Heaven & Hell band records ('The Devil You Know' and the live released in 2007). That's said, Maiden was and is bigger. Metallica is nothing if compared to the both other bands quoted in this thread.
Metallica´s greatest were their second and third album. I like the Black album too because it was my first metal album but everything that comes next is...hmm....not that good. :p

The title must be: Iron Maiden voted as the greatest Metal band of all time
This is not a race. I don't understand why they name Metallica like it seems they were or deserve to be the greatest. Could be the more mainstream metal band but not the best. There are a lot of Metal bands ahead of Metallica to me and they're living in the shadows of Metallica since the beginnings , Megadeth, Testament, Kreator and many more deserves more recognition.

Maiden (Greatest Metal Band of All Time):devil:
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

The rest

Both (Maiden and Metallica) had great run of albums in the 80's, highly productive bands that toured alot but luckily with the reunion, Maiden has still been really strong and continued their quality from 2000 until today without making flops or mistakes.
Black Sabbath is also huge inspiration as they were among the first, if not even the first that really made heavy metal what it is. But they surely can't be discussed here as the catalogue is so separated with different singers and besides they aren't anymore as active as these 2 bands are.
I think there's not a real competition between Maiden and Metallica. Both are quite likely the last great heavy metal bands there are, sure there are younger bands out there but once these 2 will no longer be touring or releasing music, there's nothing left to replace them.
Metallica is sure more acknowledged and more widely known probably, but Maiden has more been true to their roots and so in some sense I don't think they have sold as much as their soul or become quite that commercial as Metallica. I think both are really huge, but Maiden is in some ways still regarded higher among the metal fans. I feel that the metal community actually respects Maiden much more. Here in Finland both are always in the news whenever they release new album or when they are doing some shows here.

I think Metallica's last truly great album is Load. Everything released after that has been patchy with some good songs but also lesser songs.

Both (Maiden and Metallica) had great run of albums in the 80's, highly productive bands that toured alot but luckily with the reunion, Maiden has still been really strong and continued their quality from 2000 until today without making flops or mistakes.
Black Sabbath is also huge inspiration as they were among the first, if not even the first that really made heavy metal what it is. But they surely can't be discussed here as the catalogue is so separated with different singers and besides they aren't anymore as active as these 2 bands are.
I think there's not a real competition between Maiden and Metallica. Both are quite likely the last great heavy metal bands there are, sure there are younger bands out there but once these 2 will no longer be touring or releasing music, there's nothing left to replace them.
Metallica is sure more acknowledged and more widely known probably, but Maiden has more been true to their roots and so in some sense I don't think they have sold as much as their soul or become quite that commercial as Metallica. I think both are really huge, but Maiden is in some ways still regarded higher among the metal fans. I feel that the metal community actually respects Maiden much more. Here in Finland both are always in the news whenever they release new album or when they are doing some shows here.

I think Metallica's last truly great album is Load. Everything released after that has been patchy with some good songs but also lesser songs.
The problem with Black Sabbath is that they created two sous-genres of metal : doom metal and heavy metal, both kinds interpreted by differents singers during each era of the band. Ozzy and Dio were more into heavy doom metal, while Tony Martin was much more into heavy metal. That's the real trouble with BS, too much variety into their music. Meanwhile, they've done two records with Ian Gillan ('Born Again') and Glenn Hughes ('Seventh Star') which were less interesting both technically and artistically. These two have been like a cut between the old and the new BS and more like some Tony Iommi's solo albums or BS feat. Tony Iommi and that's why they sound wrong. If we except these two intruders into BS discography and the commercial failures of 'Technical Ecstasy' and 'Never Say Die' in the 70's and of 'Forbidden' in the 90's, Black Sabbath has a great répertoire, somewhat similar to the Maiden's one. I don't consider personally 'Born Again' and 'Seventh Star' as BS's records. These are UFOs into the BS career. Nevertheless, they have done a great job with their three charismatic singers, as Maiden did with Di'Anno, Dickinson and Bayley.

Metallica is an other subject. Their three or four first albums after 'Kill Em All' were masterpieces, including 'The Black Album'. Anyway, I don't think they sold their souls to the commercial God. I'm convinced that they wanted to try something new with 'Load', 'Reload' and 'Saint Anger'. Fortunately, they came back to thrash metal with 'Death Magnetic', their return confirmed by 'Hardwired To Self Destruct'. Metallica's journey was full of dramatic or personal issues that were responsible of so many challenges/difficulties for the band, but the band was fickle in the quality of its music. That makes a great difference with Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden which have done respectively some great job for metal.

That's why I think that Black Sabbath is a greatest band than Metallica. So is Iron Maiden. And so that's why I would have preferred to see Black Sabbath competing with Iron Maiden in "the greatest metal band ever" contest. That would have been more logical...

Back