IRON MAIDEN SURVIVOR #7: Results -> Hallowed Be Thy Name wins for the 6th time!

This thread slipped under my radar until now, wanted to vote for the maximum for a challenge. I hope Judas Be My Guide makes it to the top five!

• Aces High
  • Moonchild
  • The Clairvoyant
  • every remaining Fear of the Dark song minus Judas and the title track

see songs like To Tame a Land or Alexander the Great for examples of overly busy lyrics dragging the song down.
I wouldn't say dragging the song down, but I think For The Greater Good Of God is a better example for that than the aforementioned songs.

Edit: just to be clear, I'm not criticizing the lyrics of the song, I just wanted to point out that it has more lyrics than the other two songs and this sometimes can be a bit drawn out, although it's a faster song. The chorus comes in about halfway through the song (note: I like this in Lost World, Hell On Earth, Red And Black, Talisman, Legacy). I can't say the same about Alexander or To Tame A Land (a song without chorus) - I've always thought that the latter is mostly instrumental. That being said, I agree with the comment below about the lyrics. I like the song a lot, the pre-chorus is great, while the actual chorus is fitting and good. Actually, every part of this song is great.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say dragging the song down, but I think For The Greater Good Of God is a better example for that than the aforementioned songs.
That's pretty surprising to be honest. TTAL has all the exotic terms from the novel, while Alex has all the historical places and names, making both songs sound rather clunky as far as lyrics go. FTGGOG has quite poignant lyrics. I get how someone could criticize the chorus as well as the repeats of the title, but the rest of the lyrics work very well. Steve's songs have a tendency to feel very crowded lyrically. TTAL and ATG certainly fall under that category, but FTGGOG is far from it, in my opinion.

VWXiuO7.jpg

Eliminated after Round 13:
Fear Is The Key - 27 votes
From Here To Eternity - 24 votes
Childhood's End - 20 votes
Wasting Love - 18 votes

7 votes.

Aces High
Infinite Dreams
The Evil That Men Do
The Clairvoyant
Afraid to Shoot Strangers
Judas Be My Guide
Fear of the Dark

And with Childhood's End we lost one of the best (imo) songs of the 90's. Anyway:

Aces High
2 Minutes To Midnight
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
Moonchild
The Clairvoyant
Only The Good Die Young
Be Quick Or Be Dead

Aces High
Moonchild
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
Only The Good Die Young
Afraid To Shoot Strangers
Fear Of The Dark

Eliminated after Round 13:
Childhood's End - 20 votes
Wasting Love - 18 votes
You know the FOTD album is full of great songs when such gems are eliminated.

I voted for:

2 Minutes To Midnight
Moonchild
The Clairvoyant

I'm really sorry for 2 Minutes, but the other 3 Powerslave songs are too good. Clairvoyant is one of the band's best short songs, so are the other short songs in the list, but I like them more.

And with Childhood's End we lost one of the best (imo) songs of the 90's.
I agree on a 100%. FOTD album has several songs that I consider to be the best from the 90's. I can't believe they haven't played some of them live, especially Judas Be My Guide.

Shocked at 2 Minutes to Midnight currently having the most votes! It does get played a lot, but that opening riff is synonymous with the golden age of 80's heavy metal. Instantly recognizable.

My votes:
  • Aces High
  • Moonchild
  • Infinite Dreams
  • Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
  • The Clairvoyant
  • Be Quick or Be Dead
  • Afraid to Shoot Strangers
I also have a big soft spot for Only the Good Die Young. Great closer to Seventh Son and I LOVE the solo on there. Super dark.

Shocked at 2 Minutes to Midnight currently having the most votes! It does get played a lot, but that opening riff is synonymous with the golden age of 80's heavy metal. Instantly recognizable.
I'm surprised too. I voted for it because I want to promote the other Powerslave songs. But we have to say that it is up against songs from SSOASS album and some of the most liked 90's era songs. The reason for the votes for (the awesome song) Only The Good Die Young is the same - too much greatness and iconcic songs and riffs (Aces High!), like 2 Minutes.

Oh man, I didn't even see that. This round is brutal, three of my favourites on their way out...

VWXiuO7.jpg

Eliminated after Round 14:
Be Quick Or Be Dead - 18 votes
2 Minutes To Midnight - 16 votes
Moonchild - 15 votes
The Clairvoyant - 14 votes

Promoted after Round 14:
Aces High
Powerslave
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
Afraid To Shoot Strangers
Judas Be My Guide
Fear Of The Dark

The X Factor joins the game. 7 votes available.

Voted against everything on The X Factor except for Sign Of The Cross, Blood On The World’s Hands, 2 A.M., and Man On The Edge. I would have voted against more if I’d been allowed to.

Back