IRON MAIDEN SURVIVOR #7: Results -> Hallowed Be Thy Name wins for the 6th time!

VWXiuO7.jpg

Eliminated after Round 23:
Mother Of Mercy - 24 votes
Satellite 15...The Final Frontier - 21 votes
The Man Who Would Be King - 19 votes
El Dorado - 18 votes

The Book Of Souls joins the game! 10 votes allowed.

I fucking love this album, it's almost impossible to choose

The Wicker Man
Coming Home
WTWWB
Speed of Light
When the River Runs Deep
TBOS
Death or Glory
Shadows of the Valley
Tears of a Clown
The Man of Sorrows

• Blood Brothers
  • Coming Home
  • The Alchemist
  • Speed Of Light
  • The Great Unknown
  • Death Or Glory
  • Shadows Of The Valley
  • Tears Of A Clown
  • The Man Of Sorrows

If I could vote ten times for Speed Of Light, I would. One of the absolute worst songs of their entire discography, in my opinion. Hate that little shite.

The Wicker Man
Coming Home
Isle Of Avalon
The Talisman
Speed Of Light
The Great Unknown
Death Or Glory
Shadows Of The Valley
Tears Of A Clown
Now We Need To Know The Truth Now

Eliminated after Round 23:
Satellite 15...The Final Frontier - 21 votes
The Man Who Would Be King - 19 votes
El Dorado - 18 votes
None of these songs are bad, especially The Final Frontier (shame the intro is too long). El Dorado is classic Maiden.

I voted for:

Tears Of A Clown
The Man Of Sorrows

It's not much but I like all of the songs in the list and TBOS is an awesome album.
The Man Of Sorrows is the weakest slow type of song from the Reunion era imo, and I don't like Tears Of A Clown as much as I used to. I also don't like that When The River Runs Deep has a slow chorus (it doesn't fit), but it's nice and the other parts are great. Underrated song imo.

Voted for everything that isn't 10/10 for me. Choosing between songs from three masterpieces is very tough.

Why Speed Of Light isn't popular among fans? I'm really curious. I think it's a great song. Or it's just another example of overall strong material in the album. The same can be said about the amount of votes for Death Or Glory, I believe. One of the band's best short songs imo.

The shorter songs in TBOS are really good.

Why Speed Of Light isn't popular among fans? I'm really curious. I think it's a great song. Or it's just another example of overall strong material in the album. The same can be said about the amount of votes for Death Or Glory, I believe. One of the band's best short songs imo.

The shorter songs in TBOS are really good.

I can only tell you my opinion. I've never been a fan of songs that lean into classic rock (the intro riff, cowbell), just not my style.
I dislike the almost arbitrary key changes and resulting melodies in the verses. Not a fan of the lyrics (gotta admit though, "Shadows in the stars" is a badass line). Bruce sounds very strained in the chorus.
The instrumental break in the middle is uncharacteristically weak for Maiden standards. There's one note in the guitar melodies that's not played clean, which makes it stand out. This by itself isn't necessarily a problem, but this section is copy/pasted, thus we get to hear the bum note multiple times.

There are probably other reasons as well, but these are my main issues. Was incredibly disappointed when the single released, but thankfully the rest of the album was great and closer to my tastes.

I can only tell you my opinion. I've never been a fan of songs that lean into classic rock (the intro riff, cowbell), just not my style.
I dislike the almost arbitrary key changes and resulting melodies in the verses. Not a fan of the lyrics (gotta admit though, "Shadows in the stars" is a badass line). Bruce sounds very strained in the chorus.
The instrumental break in the middle is uncharacteristically weak for Maiden standards. There's one note in the guitar melodies that's not played clean, which makes it stand out. This by itself isn't necessarily a problem, but this section is copy/pasted, thus we get to hear the bum note multiple times.
I think it's a catchy song, especially with its intro, chorus and instrumental section (weak, no way). Just what a single needs. I like the melodies under the verses a lot. I have to say that Steve is the master of key changes. The solos and the melodies are very good. Not every single can have the instrumental section of The Writing On The Wall though. I think the lyrics are fine. Bruce sounds more strained in the chorus of Mother Of Mercy.

Btw, The Writing On The Wall is also more of a rock type of song. With better riffs.

Looking at the songs that currently have double digit votes, I like some of them - particularly Shadows of the Valley and Coming Home - but it doesn't look like any of my top (or 2nd) tier favorite songs will get eliminated in this round.

I very much like The Man Who Would be King but aside from that song (which was eliminated last round) the back half of TFF looks set for promotion this round.

Back