IRON MAIDEN REFERENDUM 2020: Results -> Hallowed Be Thy Name wins for the 5th time!

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
Ditch Satellite 15 intro altogether and open with the one-two punch of Isle of Avalon and Starblind - that would be my dream version of the album.

Something like this:
1. Isle of Avalon
2. Starblind
3. The Final Frontier
4. El Dorado
5. Coming Home
6. The Talisman
7. The Alchemist
8. Mother of Mercy
9. The Man Who Would Be King
10. When the Wild Wind Blows

Last edited:
yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 3:
Tears Of A Clown - 16 votes
Coming Home - 16 votes

A Matter Of Life & Death joins the game!

Hell yeah, voted for:
  • The Red & The Black
  • Death or Glory
  • Empire of the Clouds
  • Out of the Shadows
A Matter of Life and Death is probably the most solid Maiden album since Somewhere in Time. And by that I mean the thing is only ten tracks and almost all of those tracks feel like blockbuster Iron Maiden. You don't sell an album like Powerslave on the merit of Back in the Village just like you wouldn't sell an album like The Number of the Beast on the merit of Gangland. With A Matter of Life and Death, almost everything could be seen as a highlight that you could sell the album on for somebody (excluding the awful hard rock number Out of the Shadows).

Getting this out there since I don't see these two talked about often: The extremely underrated The Pilgrim boasts one of Nicko's best drum performances. Ever. It's that good. Listen for that section right after the first chorus. Lord of Light is a dark trad heavy metal number with a riff that is evil not just for Iron Maiden but for heavy metal in general. Fingers crossed those two go far.

I could almost set up a dartboard with everything on A Matter of Life and Death on it. Every dart that lands on that board would land on an Iron Maiden classic for me. And not just a 21st century Iron Maiden classic, but I mean a real, vibrant Iron Maiden classic. Those classic Maiden songs like Phantom of the Opera and Powerslave just have this vigor or swagger in them that I don't hear in their drier numbers like Empire of the Clouds or The Red and the Black. But these songs on AMoLaD HAVE that vigor to them. So much stuff I love on that album.

A Matter Of Life And Death is easily my favourite reunion album from Maiden followed by The Book Of Souls. A brilliant and dark masterpiece focused solely around war and the faith which in many cases impacts the causation of the war. Long and progressive throughout with brilliant epics and some smaller rockers built in. I'm voting for any song I would rate below a 9/10 of those remaining and then some extras will be added in to provide buffers for some of the pieces of sheer brilliance.

Starblind
Isle Of Avalon
When The Wild Wind Blows
These Colours Don't Run
The Pilgrim
Out Of The Shadows
The Legacy
Different World

None from Book Of Souls which remain should be eliminated in my opinion but I could forsee the shorter ones and The Red And The Black being removed while the Title track, If Eternity Should Fail and Empire of the Clouds I feel will remain. The Talisman will be the sole track from The Final Frontier which will escape my vote. A Matter Of Life And Death tracks which didn't recieve my vote I consider perfect. Half the album is pure perfection with the other 5 being incredibly strong as a whole.

I guess I know which record I'm spinning next...

Speed of Light
Death or Glory
Brighter Than a Thousand Suns
The Pilgrim
Out of the Shadows
Lord of Light

Yes. I voted for BTATS. It's because of the choruses. I will probably vote for The Longest Day next round because of the same thing.

Last edited:
Yes. I voted for BTATS. It's because of the choruses. I will probably vote for The Longest Day next round because of the same thing.
You surely don't mean the "Out of the darkness...Brighter Than a Thousand Suns" parts?

Three from AMOLAD:
—Colours
—Longest Day
—Shadows

One from TFF:
—Starblind

And one from TBOS:
—Speed Of Light

Back