IRON MAIDEN REFERENDUM 2020: Results -> Hallowed Be Thy Name wins for the 5th time!

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
I love the delivery of The Talisman's chorus. One of Bruce's best performances since TCW. It's a very well-constructed song, allowing the listener to sort of be a part of the doomed journey for a new home.

Also, what's up with The Great Unknown getting 11 votes? It's a great contender for the best shorter song on the album.
I like the music, and I feel dirty saying this, but it’s Bruce’s weak vocal performance that tanks the song for me.

whereas Murray hasn’t ever written a good epic, proggy tune.

To be fair to Dave, it depends who his writing partner is. He's written some great stuff with Bruce, and I suspect by the structure of those songs that they've got together and worked on the song properly when writing.

The stuff he's written with Steve, I suspect, again by the structure of the songs, it's more a case of him giving Steve a tape of stuff, and Steve either assembling them into songs, or even shoehorning bits and pieces into some half written things that he's got.

The Bruce/Dave composition are some of the better tracks on the albums they are on, and bar Still Life and maybe one or two others the Steve/Dave stuff are generally the worst stuff on the albums they are on.

I love the delivery of The Talisman's chorus. One of Bruce's best performances since TCW. It's a very well-constructed song, allowing the listener to sort of be a part of the doomed journey for a new home.
I don't. It's too high for Bruce's voice 10 years ago. Maybe 30 years ago he could have pulled it off, but he sounds like he's straining to hit those high notes.

he sounds like he's straining to hit those high notes.
Bruce sounds strained on the whole album which is part of the reason why I don't like the album much. The other reasons being that half the songs are too long and it sounds like it was recorded in an empty beer can.

Bruce has sounded strained on every song since Dance of Death, I don't see the problem with it.

The Talisman is a top 10 song for me. When it comes to the shorter tunes, Coming Home and Death Or Glory are up there with my favorite Maiden songs, while Tears of a Clown, Speed of Light and The Alchemist are fantastic as well.

TFF is one of Bruce’s weakest vocal performances, it’s even more obvious with TBOS to compare since that album is one of his best since rejoining the band. I like his performance on Talisman though.

The only problem with Bruce's vocals on TFF is the fact that they rushed the production. His voice in 2010 was a lot better than when TBOS was recorded, imo.

TFF is one of Bruce’s weakest vocal performances, it’s even more obvious with TBOS to compare since that album is one of his best since rejoining the band. I like his performance on Talisman though.
Big Talisman fan here. Love everything about this song.
'The Talisman' is my favourite song from 'The Final Frontier'. I find it far more interesting then most of the rest of the album and it would be even better if Bruce didn't sound so strained. The only other song which I find interesting on this album is 'The Man Who Would Be King'. The rest isn't great by Maiden's standards.

I place less value on the individual performance and more on the writing of the song. I am more willing to overlook some strain in the vocals or a sloppy guitar solo than I am poor lyrics or repetitive, plodding instrumental passages.

Honestly a little shocked to see Satellite 15... The Final Frontier getting so many votes. Never had a problem with that song. I think the "atmosphere building" of the first few minutes is effective and The Final Frontier itself is a good little hard rock song. I've always loved the opening lyrics of "I'm stranded in space! Lost without trace".

Back