Iron Maiden on American Idol

Well, he surely is no Bruce, and he looks ridiculously un-metal for singing a metal song, but I wouldn't call it an abomination. However, a cover without the drum intro is not worthwile, musically. I guess Idol is all about the singer anyway.

It was better than any of those artists that get to the finals in various Idol competitions and get plenty of radio time afterwards. I must admit to watching much of the first season of Norwegian Idol, due to living in a student collective with six others (it became sort of a social gathering on Fridays). For some reason those who get far in the competition get record contracts despite being thirteen-a-dozen pop artists.

That is what I'm comparing this guy to - and he can sing, no doubt about it. He should be in a band.

He is in a band.He is the new singer of H.E.A.T.!!!
Thanks for reminding me that vid.I had no idea how the man sounded like and I didn't remember it was him that was singing in that video.

When I first saw it I thought it was nice try.The stuff he has to sing now is a lot different.

He has a good voice. I have to disagree with you EW... Metal is a lifestyle not a look. Any poser can play dress up.

wsoul1 said:
I have to disagree with you EW... Metal is a lifestyle not a look. Any poser can play dress up.

Of course. I just wanted to point out this guy looked more like your typical boyband member. I'm not sure what you disagree with me on here? Care to be a little more exact?

I can inform you I look nothing like a typical metalhead either ...

I always get the "You don't look like the type who'd like metal!" whenever people ask me what I'm listening to or something.

wsoul1 said:

I see. Don't put too much emphasis on it, though. I'm not one of those who think that you must have long hair and wear band t-shirts to be a metal fan. However, this fella had a very boyband-ish look and that hurts my eyes. As I said in my first post, though, it did not keep me from enjoying his performance of the song.

Eddies Wingman said:
I see. Don't put too much emphasis on it, though. I'm not one of those who think that you must have long hair and wear band t-shirts to be a metal fan. However, this fella had a very boyband-ish look and that hurts my eyes. As I said in my first post, though, it did not keep me from enjoying his performance of the song.

I hear ya

We had a guy sing The Evil That Men Do on Finnish Idols a few years back.  He did a pretty good job, and, well, was a metalhead too. This guy looks like the only Maiden song he's heard is RTTH; or basically, what EW said.

And I also neither dress nor look like a metalhead.

First of all, it is NOT American idol, it is clearly swedish idol... VERY different. You will NEVER see metal on American Idol. also the European Idols are better because they play with live bands, American idols are pussies and play to tracks. I LOVE watching these for those very reasons... up the Irons Nordic countries!

Onhell said:
So I can't call my friend in a wife beater and overalls a honky redneck cracker anymore? :(

I almost went with honky redneck cracker as my nickname, but decided on cornfedhick instead, simply because it's shorter. 

I thought the performance was better than 99% of the crap I've seen on American Idol.  Though Onhell is right -- this ain't American Idol.  I wouldn't be too sure about the "no metal on American Idol" statement, though -- Steven Tyler is now one of the judges.  (I know, Aerosmith isn't exactly metal, but it's certainly hard rock, and I don't really care about the difference.) 

What the hell, you guys are missing the point. This doesn't have anything to do with the performance! It's the idea that sickens me. The Idol series (there, not american *sticks out tongue*) is the root of all stupid!

No. I got that much. I disagree. AMERICAN idol is the root of all that is wrong with the music industry. The European clones at least have live bands and give their contestants more freedom on what they want to sing and as Invader pointed out, there have been several metal heads (one actually won finnish idol) on. That is A GOOD THING

Back