Iron Maiden Download Festival 2022 confirmed

Did the tickets companies refund money from 2020 ?
I'm sure that the Legacy of the Beast Tour leg of this year will be canceled because it's not safe yet. and Rock in Rio no way because I don't trust in Brazilian government to assure this event to be safe.
It's great that Maiden play at Donnington next year and I guess that they were asked and they accepted but I'm not sure with the covid out there yet if the event it's going to be possible.

Last edited:
Will 70 year old Nicko Mcbrain be able to do a full set? I would be amazed if he does a consistently good job throughout the whole show.

For what is worth (probably not much), I personally think seeing Maiden at Donington is vastly overrated. I went there in 2013 and 2016 and whilst both Maiden shows were very enjoyable, the weather ranged from mediocre (2013) to absolutely awful (2016). I am getting too old for spending a day in the middle of nowhere getting absolutely soaked and treated like cattle just to see some bands.

I’ll wait until they (predictably) announce a proper UK tour.

Will 70 year old Nicko Mcbrain be able to do a full set? I would be amazed if he does a consistently good job throughout the whole show.

My main worry is how rusty they all might be after such a long time without playing gigs. In recent years they have justified touring each summer by saying that it helps them keep fit. If the 2021 LOTB leg goes ahead (and that is a big if), it would be more than 18 months since they last played a gig together!

For what is worth (probably not much), I personally think seeing Maiden at Donington is vastly overrated. I went there in 2013 and 2016 and whilst both Maiden shows were very enjoyable, the weather ranged from mediocre (2013) to absolutely awful (2016). I am getting too old for spending a day in the middle of nowhere getting absolutely soaked and treated like cattle just to see some bands.

I’ll wait until they (predictably) announce a proper UK tour.
I agree, I will certainly be waiting for a full UK tour or at least the possibility of a couple of cheeky o2 shows

I wouldn't be jumping the gun to get tickets. I like the ooportunity for some Real Ale in the English countryside but like Ghost of Cain am getting a bit long in the tooth now for the mud and bullshit that comes with it, if they do tour and gigs are on I'd prefer somewhere expected to be rain free.

I expect that Maiden will tour the hell out of this after the best part of 2 years of inactivity

I can see them planning as many dates as they did in 2016 to make up for the losses, something that worries me considering their age (they were fried by the end of the 2016 tour).

I can see them planning as many dates as they did in 2016 to make up for the losses, something that worries me considering their age (they were fried by the end of the 2016 tour).
True, hopefully it is spaced out much better this time but I doubt it especially if they use Ed Force One

This announcement does not bode well for Maiden touring again this year. If LOTB (x3) is scrapped I hope they would release that album this year

This announcement does not bode well for Maiden touring again this year. If LOTB (x3) is scrapped I hope they would release that album this year

I think their plan is to tour North America and South America later in 2021 on a new album tour if (and that is a big if) any big shows are allowed to take place.

Something curious: according to Bruce, Maiden's wish was to play Donington/Download Festival in every decade since the 80's:

''Download 2020 would have been Maiden’s seventh time headlining here. So we are delighted to be invited back and fulfil our ambition of playing Donington Park in every decade since the 1980’s! As most people know, this Festival is hallowed ground for us (and Eddie!) and our fans’ vocal support and enthusiasm is always phenomenal and much appreciated. We can’t wait to see everyone again, and are determined to make the show one hell of a party and the greatest homecoming ever!''

Something curious: according to Bruce, Maiden's wish was to play Donington/Download Festival in every decade since the 80's:

''Download 2020 would have been Maiden’s seventh time headlining here. So we are delighted to be invited back and fulfil our ambition of playing Donington Park in every decade since the 1980’s! As most people know, this Festival is hallowed ground for us (and Eddie!) and our fans’ vocal support and enthusiasm is always phenomenal and much appreciated. We can’t wait to see everyone again, and are determined to make the show one hell of a party and the greatest homecoming ever!''

You do realise that all those quotes are made up by Rod, don't you? ;)

Who the fuck is Biffy Clyro?

One of those bands that is only known in the UK, I would have thought they were an Indie band to be fair, at the very best only slightly Metal-adjacent. In my experience of Download, there seems to be quite a lot of the crowd who would be into this sort of a band.

Ah, like Muse or whoever the hell was at Sonisphere 2010 that one day. There was a huge crowd, I think more or less right before Maiden, but for the life of me I can't remember the name.

I remember an interview where he said he couldn't imagine drumming into his sixties. Yeah, he sounded great on the Nights album, but something's going to give sooner or later with one of them, and Nicko's the likeliest candidate due to being the oldest and having one of the most physically intense jobs in the band. At this rate, if there is a new album tour, it'll either be at the end of 2022 or into 2023. Not good, since Bruce's voice wasn't great throughout most of what I've seen from the 2019 tour, and that's putting a few more years on top of that.

Ah, like Muse or whoever the hell was at Sonisphere 2010 that one day. There was a huge crowd, I think more or less right before Maiden, but for the life of me I can't remember the name.

Yeah that's a perfect band to compare them to both in metal-adjacentness and the sort of fan who will be into them, but Muse are also way bigger than Biffy Clyro.

Back