Iron Maiden comic book series

MrKnickerbocker

clap hands
Looks like we'll be getting a Legacy of the Beast-inspired comic series next month: http://nerdist.com/throw-up-some-horns-for-heavy-metals-new-iron-maiden-comic-book/

This summer, Heavy Metal will unleash an Iron Maiden comic book and it looks awesome. Based on the mobile role-playing game Iron Maiden: Legacy of the Beast, the comic is set to feature the band’s longtime mascot Eddie battling through the worlds of their albums.

As Heavy Metal told us, “Eddie’s immortal soul is shattered and strewn across the cosmos.” Okay, yes, we are onboard for that–go on. “Now, Eddie must journey across space and time to battle the twisted legions of The Beast, seek out the lost shards of his soul, and bring order to the realms.”

“As a lifelong fan of Iron Maiden, it is a privilege to publish the first comic giving a narrative to their iconic mascot, Eddie,” Heavy Metal’s Jeff Krelitz said of the project. “When we discussed the potential of coming together on this project it was immediately clear that there was no better home for Iron Maiden than Heavy Metal. Heavy Metal’s nearly half-century-long history of either working with or launching the careers of only the most accomplished artists continues here with the amazing team Iron Maiden has working on this series.”

Written by Llexi Leon and Ian Edginton with art from Kevin J. West, Iron Maiden: Legacy Of The Beast is set to premiere in July’s Heavy Metal #287 and holy crap we are excited.

IRMD_01_CVR-768x1166.jpg

Preview pages:
IRMD01_06_Color_Rau%CC%81l_Edit3-768x1205.jpg

IRMD01_24_Color_Rau%CC%81l-1-768x1118.jpg

Wow, it just occurred to me that comic book is a perfect medium for some twisted adventures of Eddie across all his incarnations. Not sure about the quality of this, though. We'll see.

Maiden sinking to Kiss levels of shameless merchandising and commercialization. As Paul Di'anno said, Maiden is a "money machine".

I still love the music and the band, but this kind of stuff kind of makes me sick.

Maiden sinking to Kiss levels of shameless merchandising and commercialization. As Paul Di'anno said, Maiden is a "money machine".

I still love the music and the band, but this kind of stuff kind of makes me sick.

Couldn't you argue that a central tenant of Maiden's marketing has been the merchandise related to Eddie, and it has been that way since the beginning? I remember Eddie related trinkets back in the 80s. They are (and have been for decades) a multi million dollar business.

Lighten up, Francis. Read the article, this isn't new in Heavy Metal comics: "There have a been a slew of metal and rock comics lately–stuff from Slayer, KISS, and GWAR comes to mind–"

I'm not a comics guy, but this looks fun.

Lighten up, Francis. Read the article, this isn't new in Heavy Metal comics: "There have a been a slew of metal and rock comics lately–stuff from Slayer, KISS, and GWAR comes to mind–"

I'm not a comics guy, but this looks fun.

Maiden in the same league as KISS and GWAR? Great. This and the video game cheapen the Maiden name a bit to me. But okay, whatever. If people enjoy it..

Last edited:
Maiden in the same league as KISS and GWAR? Great. This and the video game cheapen the Maiden name a bit to me. But okay, whatever. If people enjoy it..

So the branded Beer, wine, 747 billboards and designer watches are ok but a comic book in Heavy Metal Magazine "cheapens" it for you? Your entitled to your opinion but I think your being more than a tad dogmatic. As a life long metal head comic dork this is right up my alley. Was especially pleased to see Derek Riggs will have a small part in this.

I saw this in H&M of all places few days ago:

MuF6VbP.jpg

Every band that can do it will branch into every possible merchandise. Why not get more money if you can, as long as the music doesn't suffer.

KISS merch is way lamer though! And Iron Maiden sucks at NOTHING!

Has anybody here read this comics? Any thoughts?
Yes I have, they are cool just because it's maiden art. The story is comicbookish so it has some goofy parts. But they are totally worth the $3.99 USD each, even if they are just collector items.

I have had the first two issues, I feel like the art is very good but the story is quite rushed and actually less detailed than the game. I thought it was meant to expand on the game’s story, which it does in terms of background things like Eddie meeting The Clairvoyant and the Beast talking to his associates but the world’s have missed bits out from the game.

Yes I have, they are cool just because it's maiden art. The story is comicbookish so it has some goofy parts. But they are totally worth the $3.99 USD each, even if they are just collector items.

The answer I was looking for, thanks! I'll probably order 'em all once #5 is out.

Back