IRON MAIDEN ALBUM REFERENDUM 2020: Results -> Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son wins!

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
4 of the 80's albums are better than any of the reunion albums
Yup... I agree. The stretch that goes from Piece Of Mind to Seventh Son is really something. And the remainder 80's records also rank in my top 10.
Apart from that absolute shitpile BNW
IMO not a "shitpile" of any sorts but sure it is immensely overrated around here. It features some really good stuff like The Wicker Man, Blood Brothers, Out Of The Silent Planet and The Thin Line Between Love And Hate but it's still my least favorite album from the reunion period (almost on par with The Book Of Souls).
Sorry folks, but the consensus seems to be that new Maiden isn’t aging well.
Mmmmmm as matter of fact they relatively are. Not that I personally think post reunion Maiden released any album of similar quality to their 80's stuff (apart from AMOLAD, of course). But fact is Maiden have 16 albums and one of the reunion albums will almost certainly end up in 5th or 4th place while BNW will get 6th place. Now check other "big" metal bands with extensive catalogues (like Slayer, Priest, Sabbath, Anthrax, Motorhead, etc...). And I won't go as far as asking how many of them can sneak a % of recent albums as expressive as Maiden... Just try to find a single album that each of those band's fans consider to be among each band's best 6 records (Firepower perhaps?).

At no point during my time as a member of this forum have I ever been in the "Reunion era is the best Maiden era" camp, so no change brought upon by time in my case. The golden years are the golden years. For me, AMOLAD is the only Reunion album that can give the 83-88 albums a run for their money.

I don't think holding that the output of the Reunion era isn't as good as the output of the Golden Years can be equated to a dislike of the Reunion era, though. I like the Reunion era, just not as much, and I think many are in the same boat.

At no point during my time as a member of this forum have I ever been in the "Reunion era is the best Maiden era" camp, so no change brought upon by time in my case. The golden years are the golden years. For me, AMOLAD is the only Reunion album that can give the 83-88 albums a run for their money.

I don't think holding that the output of the Reunion era isn't as good as the output of the Golden Years can be equated to a dislike of the Reunion era, though. I like the Reunion era, just not as much, and I think many are in the same boat.
You nailed it. :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

Yeah I simply don’t have a favorite era of Maiden. I like them all pretty much equally. The ‘80s had some classic classic songs and some fantastic albums, but so did the ‘90s and 2000s. They also had weaker material and not-so-good records. But the highs are what make each “era” so good. I like it all.

I don't have particular favorite era, for me this band is the most important band ever in my life. No doubt about that really.
1980 and counting until the last rays of sunshine for me. What an awesome lineup in the 80's albums 7 studio-albums and 1 amazing live-album.
Then after the brief moments of darker times through 90's, finally in 1999 we saw the miracle of Bruce and Adrian coming back to the band.
That was the best day ever when I found it out from the news..since then they've been really strong and delivered excellent material in the later days (something that some of their contemporaries have not managed to achieve).
And yes, they still got it and they are awesome live in concert, everytime I go and see them I always remember why they are so important to me.
Hope to see Maiden still going for many years, but that day when they retire will be the saddest day of my life.
Until that..I will every day think, listen and carry on with my usual Maiden-things.

Up The Irons!

I don't have particular favorite era, for me this band is the most important band ever in my life. No doubt about that really.
1980 and counting until the last rays of sunshine for me. What an awesome lineup in the 80's albums 7 studio-albums and 1 amazing live-album.
Then after the brief moments of darker times through 90's, finally in 1999 we saw the miracle of Bruce and Adrian coming back to the band.
That was the best day ever when I found it out from the news..since then they've been really strong and delivered excellent material in the later days (something that some of their contemporaries have not managed to achieve).
And yes, they still got it and they are awesome live in concert, everytime I go and see them I always remember why they are so important to me.
Hope to see Maiden still going for many years, but that day when they retire will be the saddest day of my life.
Until that..I will every day think, listen and carry on with my usual Maiden-things.

Up The Irons!
We all love Maiden, Phantom. That's indeed why we're here. :)
I love all 16 albums but there are albums I love even more than others.

Seriously, @Kalata? You're suggesting Maiden's Golden Age allready started with the debut album?
The Golden Age started with The Number Of The Beast and ended with SSOASS.
That definition varies slightly regarding personal taste. IMO it started in POM and ended in SSOASS. But surely can also include TNOTB as you said or even all their 80's albums regarding Kalata's opinion. Why? Simple: 7 albums and only two really bad songs (Gangland and Quest For Fire) and a handful of merely ok songs (Iron Maiden, Twilight Zone, Another Life, Innocent Exile and Sun And Steel). If it's true that the band's debut is without shadow of doubt Phantom Of The Opera (one of my top 10 Maiden songs of all time) it's also true that I can't spot a single bad song in the damn record and it also features some really great tunes like Prowler, Remember Tomorrow, Transylvania or the immensely great Sanctuary. Plus there are many few debut metal albums as good as Iron Maiden IMO. Same works for Killers to a even higher degree. Although it ain't got no song like POTO it features Murders In The Rue Morgue, Killers,Genghis Kahn, Purgatory, Wrathchild... and once again not a single song I consider to be lackluster (perhaps the one that's a bit more meh is Twilight Zone but even this is far from being a stinker). Fact is during the 80's, Maiden was a tour de force and every released album was a sure shot. Now that doesn't mean they haven't done great records after that.... far from it, in fact.

Edit - Golden Age being 1975-81
Pulling A Leg, or Seeing The Light?
In any case, I guess the time when Maiden were an underground East End band that made it all of a sudden and went to a world tour was fantastic, and I envy anyone who was there to witness it.
Gillan of Nottingamshire did two great, and some decent albums with them later, I have to admit.

That definition varies slightly regarding personal taste. IMO it started in POM and ended in SSOASS. But surely can also include TNOTB as you said or even all their 80's albums regarding Kalata's opinion.

1983-1988 is the only stable lineup in that time frame, so I think that's the Golden Years era. You could attach TNOTB to that because the lead singer is the same one and it's the album that catapulted Maiden into the heavy rock mainstream. The first two albums diverge too much to be considered in the same era, imo. You can go by the calendar just call it the 80s if you intend to include them as well.

Back